girlsboysthems

girlsboysthems

no i dont have a gun
Dec 19, 2022
does anyone else feel disconnected from the pictures of their childhood? like when i see the pictures that are me i dont feel like they are of me or mine and i usually do not remember the surroundings or whatever event at which the picture was taken. basically feels like its someone else or its from a different lifetime. i told my therapist this and he was really confused by what i said.
also i think its because of like some sort of dpdr (depresonalization derealization disorder), but im not really sure.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: murun_b, TheGoodGuy, EternalShore and 1 other person
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
I deleted all the pictures of myself to avoid this happening after I started experiencing this.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: TheGoodGuy, girlsboysthems and EternalShore
girlsboysthems

girlsboysthems

no i dont have a gun
Dec 19, 2022
I deleted all the pictures of myself to avoid this happening after I started experiencing this.
same, i tore them up and burnt them. kept only the ones that i like or remember.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: アホペンギン and TheGoodGuy
Square251

Square251

Mar 19, 2023
I actually feel the same way. Old pictures of me just feel off. Sometimes I can remember like flashbacks to the surroundings but it doesn't feel like its actually me. Good thing I barely took pics of myself anyway lol.

Reactions: girlsboysthems
QteStimBnnuy

QteStimBnnuy

Qtpuppet
Feb 9, 2023
I rarely keep old photos of myself to begin with, but there is a disconnection. Have experienced a lot of dissociation, derealization, depersonalization over years. I wouldn't consider it a way to confirm I have such a disorder however, as there may be other factors as to why. I'm not a professional, nor have I ever thought to bring it up to my psychologist

• Hugs
Reactions: murun_b
M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
Yea, I often feel like that too. It's as if a great part of my past life has nothing really to do with me, like these memories belong to a totally different person.

I believe that in my case, being depressed and lonely for a long time has affected my memory among other things. Half a year ago I met some people I went to school with and it's incredible how many stories and things they could remember that I had completely forgotten. Even when they mentioned things where I must have been present, I could at best form very vague and gappy recollections. I guess this also contributes to my feeling disconnected from my past.

B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
I can't say I feel "disconnected" when I look at old pictures, but I do get an interesting feeling that I can't really describe. It's sort of just like an astonished/ confused feeling, like wow, how did we get here? How did life end up this way? Looking at that person in those pictures, I know that in a million years they never would've imagined that they'd be in the place that I'm now. It's kind of funny but sad mostly. Life can really change on a dime. And it can be so unpredictable.