Astronomer

Astronomer

GIF Geek
Oct 6, 2020
First of all there like bullets to swallow,

Secondly, they make me want to kill myself, which is not a bad thing but it's a crazy feeling walking around the food store wanting the food shelfs to fall on you...

Is anyone on these tablets?

Is 20MG a high dose? Because i feel like a walking zombie...

81f5f59400cac1035c3c63256d1dbfcf.gif

But my psychiatrist is like this, 'do not worry it's fine'

d579e39ee511352888b769259bb8d546.gif

• Hugs
Reactions: StateOfMind and Silvermorning
rabbithole

rabbithole

Experienced
Oct 26, 2020
That's a high dose IMO. Your appetite must be insane. I take 7.5 and can't stop eating.
That's a high dose IMO. Your appetite must be insane. I take 7.5 and can't stop eating.
I'm so sorry you're feeling suicidal taking them though. Can you relay that to your prescriber without them forcing you into a psych ward? There are other anti psychotics that might agree with you more.

Reactions: Silvermorning
Astronomer

Astronomer

GIF Geek
Oct 6, 2020

I'm so sorry you're feeling suicidal taking them though. Can you relay that to your prescriber without them forcing you into a psych ward? There are other anti psychotics that might agree with you more.
I've attached a picture of my actual box and the size of them, look how big they are!

They do the opposite to me, make me not want to eat. Do they work for you mentally?

Thanks for your post

Attachments

• 16049469509745584767568451047270.jpg
    16049469509745584767568451047270.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • Hugs
Reactions: rabbithole and Silvermorning
rabbithole

rabbithole

Experienced
Oct 26, 2020
I've attached a picture of my actual box and the size of them, look how big they are!

They do the opposite to me, make me not want to eat. Do they work for you mentally?

Thanks for your post
Geez. Those are huge.
Thats interesting they decrease your appetite. Olanzipine is notorious for weight gain from increased appetite.

They help my panic attacks oddly but not much else. How about you, do they help at all that you've noticed?

G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Sorry to break it to everyone, the standard and recommended dose is 5 mg. I don't know how you can stay awake on 20 OP, I'm so sorry
Sorry to break it to everyone, the standard and recommended dose is 5 mg. I don't know how you can stay awake on 20 OP, I'm so sorry
What's that reaction for?

Last edited:
  • Hmph!
Reactions: InTheAirTonight
L

Lizzy199075

Feb 20, 2019
20mg is the maximum daily dose for olanzapine. I'm on it as well but have oral dispersable ones just cause I have a thing about swallowing tablets. Guess you can always ask for them.
Someone mentioned that 5mg is the recommended dose I don't believe that is the case at all but quite happy to read the literature for them to come to that conclusion. Always happy to learn! I thought as the tablets come in 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg and 20mg I would struggle to understand why they would make ones higher than the recommended dose, hope that makes sense.
As with all mental health medication different doses are for different reasons but massively depends on the person as well.
How long you been taking 20mg? Do you have it all in one dose or do you split, 10mg in morning and 10mg at night?
I think the first 6-8 weeks of any mental health medication are rough it takes time for your body to adjust and in some cases not at all.

• Love
Reactions: Astronomer
Astronomer

Astronomer

GIF Geek
Oct 6, 2020
20mg is the maximum daily dose for olanzapine. I'm on it as well but have oral dispersable ones just cause I have a thing about swallowing tablets. Guess you can always ask for them.
Someone mentioned that 5mg is the recommended dose I don't believe that is the case at all but quite happy to read the literature for them to come to that conclusion. Always happy to learn! I thought as the tablets come in 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg and 20mg I would struggle to understand why they would make ones higher than the recommended dose, hope that makes sense.
As with all mental health medication different doses are for different reasons but massively depends on the person as well.
How long you been taking 20mg? Do you have it all in one dose or do you split, 10mg in morning and 10mg at night?
I think the first 6-8 weeks of any mental health medication are rough it takes time for your body to adjust and in some cases not at all.
Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I was on 10mg before this, but my psych wanted me on 20mg and started me on that. I was meant to start on 10th of November but i started it before and stopped taking my 10mg as there was no point continuing taking the 10mg.

I take the 20mg at night in one tablet.

I find it makes me not sleep and eat less, which i've heard people have the opposite effects, do you sleep much or eat well on them?

Also, how long have you been on them for?

Reactions: Lizzy199075
L

Lizzy199075

Feb 20, 2019
It depends what you are on them for and that is by no means me pushing for you to tell me but I take them for my anxiety, thoughts and paranoia. I have been taking olanzapine on and off for the last three years this is where my first sentence comes into play, because there is research that yes olanzapine can help for individuals like me but some papers suggest that there is no long term benefit for being on them permanently so when I dip I know there is a tablet I can go to, that I know works. I'm aware that this would not be the same situation for someone with schizophrenia due to it being a persistent long term illness.
Once I'm 'stable' usually will stay on them for a further six months before trying to wean myself back of them.
I also have the added problem I guess at times because I think all medication is poison so sometimes it's like catch 22 with the paraonia.
For me I find that it just numbs all emotions like laughing at something is like climbing a mountain but I guess in a way I recognise that numbing all emotions outweighs just constant bad ones. I find it increases my wanting to eat but I just tell myself it's like having the munchies if smoked weed I just tell myself it's psychological. It really helps me sleep but I find I have to maintain a strict sleep pattern.
Can you ask your care team to split the dose if you thought it would be useful?
Ask for oral dispersable it just reminds me of the taste of a vitamin tablet when I was a kid.