BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
My brain has a way to torture me when I try to sleep. I've done this for years tbh, but it's been getting worse.

I'll be laying here at 1am, trying to sleep but can't. Then I get random, terrifying images and scenes in my head.

I imagine things like demons standing in my room, a creepy mutated animal walking down my hall and peeking into my room... I get so scared and it feels so real. Like, the animal is usually a deer for some reason, and it doesn't walk normally. It has crazy antlers, big eyes, and a creepy human grin. Its head doesn't move right either. I also imagine people standing outside my window watching me, trying to figure out how to get in to hurt me. I get more and more anxious then somehow convince myself that these things are happening and it makes me panic.

Sometimes it gets really bad and I get patterns in my head that just escalates the fear. I literally get so scared that I'll be frozen with my face down and a pillow over my head. I feel too afraid to even lift the pillow up and move my head, because that means I'll have to look at my room and I'm convinced that I'll see one of those fucking animals or demons. If I get this anxious I literally start to feel a bit lightheaded and sick.

If I can actually move and look into my dark room for a second, I rush to turn on the light by my bed. I either calm down a bit after that, or I see the squiggly patterns on my blanket and get super worked up again.

I don't know why this happens. I hate it so much. I feel really dumb but it's happening again. Figured maybe getting it out to someone would help.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Black Sky, Deleted member 1465, sadghost and 8 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I do that a lot. Have for years. For me I'd get scared and put my head under the blanket then I'd refuse to come out because I'd swear there was a big cat like a panther standing over me just waiting. I need a night light because of it. You should look into pseudohallucinations. It's like a hallucination but you know it isn't real. At least at this point that's the best answer I can come up with for them. For me they feel real but I can tell myself they arent. Whereas a hallucination everything about it seems real and you believe it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitterlyAlive and Lost in a Dream
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I do that a lot. Have for years. For me I'd get scared and put my head under the blanket then I'd refuse to come out because I'd swear there was a big cat like a panther standing over me just waiting. I need a night light because of it. You should look into pseudohallucinations. It's like a hallucination but you know it isn't real. At least at this point that's the best answer I can come up with for them. For me they feel real but I can tell myself they arent. Whereas a hallucination everything about it seems real and you believe it.
Yes, it feels very real. My eyes are literally open and I can feel this stupid deer outside my door. It's probably just anxiety and bad insomnia, and I know it's just in my head, but I'm just so worked up.

I wonder why our brains stick to certain animals. Me a deer and you a big cat.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I know it's just in my head
This is what makes it a pseudohallucination. Although I have hallucinations and pseudohalluctions. Where this is a more "in my head" thing then one of my actual visual hallucinations I actually wonder if this doesn't have its own name. It's nothing I ever see I just feel like I can see it.

Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
Damn, that is some freaky shit and I'm sorry you have to go through that. The worst thing I've experienced is closed eye hallucinations and sometimes will see some disturbing images, but I haven't had that for a while.

Do you experience sleep paralysis at all? I've heard of people seeing shadow people during episodes of sleep paralysis, but what you are describing sounds different. It sounds like you are awake, without the paralysis part. I wish I knew what was causing these pseudohallucinations so we could figure out a way to make them stop.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
This is what makes it a pseudohallucination. Although I have hallucinations and pseudohalluctions. Where this is a more "in my head" thing then one of my actual visual hallucinations I actually wonder if this doesn't have its own name. It's nothing I ever see I just feel like I can see it.
I'll look into it later today. These fake hallucinations are bad enough.... I can't imagine having "real" ones.

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I imagine things like demons standing in my room
also imagine people standing outside my window watching me
I'm convinced that I'll see one of those fucking animals or demons
It doesn't sound like hallucinations or even pseudohallucinations since you are imagining all this in your mind. You aren't actually seeing any of it with your eyes.

I've done this too, where I'm not in a great mental state and I imagine all sorts of things as I lay there in the dark. Ghosts, evil forces, stuff from horror movies like the blair with project etc.
But ultimately I think it's all an over-active imagination together with low mood/depression/anxiety.
Are you on any medication?

Reactions: BitterlyAlive and Lost in a Dream
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I'll look into it later today. These fake hallucinations are bad enough.... I can't imagine having "real" ones.
Once it's over I can breath and say "ok it's not real" but during it's not a lot of fun lol thankfully it's rare and I mostly have psuedohallucinations

• Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Damn, that is some freaky shit and I'm sorry you have to go through that. The worst thing I've experienced is closed eye hallucinations and sometimes will see some disturbing images, but I haven't had that for a while.

Do you experience sleep paralysis at all? I've heard of people seeing shadow people during episodes of sleep paralysis, but what you are describing sounds different. It sounds like you are awake, without the paralysis part. I wish I knew what was causing these pseudohallucinations so we could figure out a way to make them stop.
It is freaky lol. I've actually never had sleep paralysis. Tbh that would probably break me mentally if I'm already this anxious.

I really think this is my GAD in overdrive or something.
It doesn't sound like hallucinations or even pseudohallucinations since you are imagining all this in your mind. You aren't actually seeing any of it with your eyes.

I've done this too, where I'm not in a great mental state and I imagine all sorts of things as I lay there in the dark. Ghosts, evil forces, stuff from horror movies like the blair with project etc.
But ultimately I think it's all an over-active imagination together with low mood/depression/anxiety.
Are you on any medication?
Good points. Uh, I just stopped my meds a week ago, I think.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lost in a Dream and esse_est_percipi
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
imagining all this in your mind.
It's more then just an imagination though. It's like hearing someone coming down the hall. You can't see them there but that doesn't mean someone isn't walking down the hall. It's difficult to explain. Plus I did say they might have their own name

Reactions: esse_est_percipi
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
It's more then just an imagination though. It's like hearing someone coming down the hall. You can't see them there but that doesn't mean someone isn't walking down the hall. It's difficult to explain. Plus I did say they might have their own name
Yes, sorry. I think I understand now.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Yes, sorry. I think I understand now.
No need to be sorry :hug: you can't be expected to understand everything. It is kinda like what you explained though it just feels more real
I also have this one where in certain rooms I'll think there's aliens waiting to kill me or something so I have to turn the light on quick. Where I live now that's the spare room. I avoid it like the plague lol

Last edited:
Reactions: esse_est_percipi
almost_dead

almost_dead

Arcanist
Aug 7, 2020
My brain has a way to torture me when I try to sleep. I've done this for years tbh, but it's been getting worse.

I'll be laying here at 1am, trying to sleep but can't. Then I get random, terrifying images and scenes in my head.

I imagine things like demons standing in my room, a creepy mutated animal walking down my hall and peeking into my room... I get so scared and it feels so real. Like, the animal is usually a deer for some reason, and it doesn't walk normally. It has crazy antlers, big eyes, and a creepy human grin. Its head doesn't move right either. I also imagine people standing outside my window watching me, trying to figure out how to get in to hurt me. I get more and more anxious then somehow convince myself that these things are happening and it makes me panic.

Sometimes it gets really bad and I get patterns in my head that just escalates the fear. I literally get so scared that I'll be frozen with my face down and a pillow over my head. I feel too afraid to even lift the pillow up and move my head, because that means I'll have to look at my room and I'm convinced that I'll see one of those fucking animals or demons. If I get this anxious I literally start to feel a bit lightheaded and sick.

If I can actually move and look into my dark room for a second, I rush to turn on the light by my bed. I either calm down a bit after that, or I see the squiggly patterns on my blanket and get super worked up again.

I don't know why this happens. I hate it so much. I feel really dumb but it's happening again. Figured maybe getting it out to someone would help.
umm tbh i dont think anyone can help you in this matter . You are unique and so are your problems . SOLVE THEM ON YOUR OWN !

• Wow
Reactions: Life_and_Death