BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
The council are being of no help regarding my housing situation.
I mean they are of absolutely no help.

To them, it's all about putting your name on a spreadsheet, changing your banding if needed, and basically clicking buttons on a computer.

Apparently, if they don't do anything within 56-days of the expiration of my notice to leave, then they don't have to do anything and to them the case will be closed.
This will mean that I can be kicked out and I will not be entitled to help.

In essence then, the council can get away with putting my name on a spreadsheet for 56-days, doing nothing, then removing me.
No I'm not joking!

I have a phone call with them tomorrow at which time 41 days would have passed.

I suddenly have a sinking feeling and this is really not good....

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Silvermorning, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Stick and 6 others
Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
The council are being of no help regarding my housing situation.
I mean they are of absolutely no help.

To them, it's all about putting your name on a spreadsheet, changing your banding if needed, and basically clicking buttons on a computer.

Apparently, if they don't do anything within 56-days of the expiration of my notice to leave, then they don't have to do anything and to them the case will be closed.
This will mean that I can be kicked out and I will not be entitled to help.

In essence then, the council can get away with putting my name on a spreadsheet for 56-days, doing nothing, then removing me.
No I'm not joking!

I have a phone call with them tomorrow at which time 41 days would have passed.

I suddenly have a sinking feeling and this is really not good....
That's bullshit. I'm sorry man. Dunno what to say. You're already having a hard enough time.

• Love
Reactions: Stick, _Minsk, BipolarGuy and 1 other person
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
That's some serious bureaucratic bs. You don't deserve all this trouble. I'm sorry friend.

• Love
Reactions: Stick, GoneGoneGone, BipolarGuy and 1 other person
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
Whoops, I think I may be slightly misunderstanding.
I have never used council housing before as I've never been out of work, and so the process is alien to me.

Apparently after the 56-day "relief duty" stage, they then move on to a "main duty" stage.
Obviously just civil service speak, but I've no idea what it all means as I've never been through this.

Christ, I seriously panicked when I read the first part.
Hands up - I've think I've misunderstood, hopefully in a good way :/

EDIT: errr.....maybe I haven't misunderstood entirely (see post #8)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Stick, pickajack, Lilacmoon and 2 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Whoops, I think I may be slightly misunderstanding.
I have never used council housing before as I've never been out of work, and so the process is alien to me.

Apparently after the 56-day "relief duty" stage, they then move on to a "main duty" stage.
Obviously just civil service speak, but I've no idea what it all means as I've never been through this.

Christ, I seriously panicked when I read the first part.
Hands up - I've think I've misunderstood, hopefully in a good way :/
I think main duty means they have to rehouse you but im not sure, will check at work tomorrow

• Love
Reactions: GoneGoneGone, Ghost2211, Lilacmoon and 1 other person
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
I think main duty means they have to rehouse you but im not sure, will check at work tomorrow
:heart: Thanks buddy.
How does it differ from "relief duty"?

• Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211 and Lilacmoon
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
:heart: Thanks buddy.
How does it differ from "relief duty"?
I dont know a lot about the council rehousing stuff but my guess is that thats just the temporary bit to get you out of the shit and main duty means your here to stay lol and they have to permanently rehouse

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
I dont know a lot about the council rehousing stuff but my guess is that thats just the temporary bit to get you out of the shit and main duty means your here to stay lol and they have to permanently rehouse
I've just seen this on Google, and I'm unsure exactly what it means.
It's worded awkwardly, but as far as I can tell it isn't good :/

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I know you don't have much faith in the NHS but my psychiatrist wrote me a letter to present to the local council asking to prioritise me for my abusive situation and my poor mental health. Is there any chance you could ask your mental health team or doctor to do something similar?

Reactions: BipolarGuy and Metalhead
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
@Mm80 - from the Shelter link, am I correct in thinking that the "main duty" is just a duty to temporarily provide accommodation, and when this comes to an end that's it.....

Kind of like I first thought?
I know you don't have much faith in the NHS but my psychiatrist wrote me a letter to present to the local council asking to prioritise me for my abusive situation and my poor mental health. Is there any chance you could ask your mental health team or doctor to do something similar?

@BPD Barbie
Yes I have sent a letter in from my care coordinator and this means that I have priority banding. But this hasn't resulted in anything practical being done.

Last edited:
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
@Mm80 - from the Shelter link, am I correct in thinking that the "main duty" is just a duty to temporarily provide accommodation, and when this comes to an end that's it.....

Kind of like I first thought?

Yes I have sent a letter in from my care coordinator and this means that I have priority banding. But this hasn't resulted in anything practical being done.
From reading it, it suggests that they have to keep you housed unless you break a rule lime make yourself intentionally homeless or turn down what they deem as a reasonable offer of permanents housing.

Reactions: BipolarGuy
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Isn't there a law that you cannot get tenants out during the cold months? Sorry if my comment doesn't help.

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
From reading it, it suggests that they have to keep you housed unless you break a rule lime make yourself intentionally homeless or turn down what they deem as a reasonable offer of permanents housing.
From further reading it looks as though you're right.

I've realised that my initial panic may have set me on a path of catastrophising, and I really need to learn how to control this.
I'll wait until I speak to them tomorrow and confirm everything.
Isn't there a law that you cannot get tenants out during the cold months? Sorry if my comment doesn't help.
@GoneGoneGone - I have absolutely no idea.

The landlord served me notice simply because he doesn't want to feel "close" to it if I were to end my life - he has said this to me, and said that if one of his tenants did something like that, he doesn't think he could handle it.
But he has let me stay beyond the notice period because I've never once been behind with rent and because he says that I'm a good tenant.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Ghost2211, Lilacmoon and 3 others
Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
Let's hope it's a lot better than what you initially thought it would be <3

• Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211 and BipolarGuy