T

trist_

Jul 15, 2024
I do realise that drowning is not exactly a well recommended method here. However other methods such as SN, overdose and hanging requires me to be in a room, like a hotel or my own flat. If I were to do that, I'm afraid that my family would be involved on several legal issues with landlord or owners after my death, I truly don't want to cause anymore trouble. Considering I have no access to firearms and jumping off a building is mostly ineffective. I consider to use drowning as my method, it's not painful as far as I know and the only enemy is SI, which should be able to be surpressed by alcohol and sleeping pills, also in regards to drowning, it's very unlikely, that my body would be found.

Reactions: ilk, etherealspring, davidtorez and 1 other person
U

Unspoken7612

Experienced
Jul 14, 2024
Drowning is, by most accounts, very scary, and is a method where SI is very strong. SI is not just "second thoughts", it is blind panic.

It's quite likely your body would be found, although that does depend on where you drown. Also, your family will want to find your body.

Freshwater vs saltwater? Well, saltwater is slightly denser and so more buoyant. How pleasant it is depends on a lot of factors, but personally I'd prefer freshwater.

This is very difficult to talk about. I'm trying to give you information without giving advice.

• Informative
Reactions: NoPoint2Life, etherealspring, vampire2002 and 5 others
T

trist_

Jul 15, 2024
Drowning is, by most accounts, very scary, and is a method where SI is very strong. SI is not just "second thoughts", it is blind panic.

It's quite likely your body would be found, although that does depend on where you drown. Also, your family will want to find your body.

Freshwater vs saltwater? Well, saltwater is slightly denser and so more buoyant. How pleasant it is depends on a lot of factors, but personally I'd prefer freshwater.

This is very difficult to talk about. I'm trying to give you information without giving advice.
Bodies aside, other methods requires a room, which as I pointed out could be problematic. Since I live in a different city and all. I don't have my own home yet and ctb in my parents' house seems risky.

Reactions: davidtorez
Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
However other methods such as SN, overdose and hanging requires me to be in a room, like a hotel or my own flat.
Why? Poisoning can be done in outdoor spaces as well.
Is that panic really common among those who intend to CTB this way? Reported anxiety among non-suicidal drowning victims cannot be used as a valid reference here, since they would be scared of any way of dying when realizing that death is close, not just drowning in particular.

Reactions: vampire2002, ijustwishtodie and davidtorez
U

Unspoken7612

Experienced
Jul 14, 2024
Why? Poisoning can be done in outdoor spaces as well.

Is that panic really common among those who intend to CTB this way? Reported anxiety among non-suicidal drowning victims cannot be used as a valid reference here, since they would be scared of any way of dying when realizing that death is close, not just drowning in particular.
The feeling of water in your lungs is a deep-seated animal instinct on par with suffocation, if not worse. Have you tried to suffocate yourself?

It isn't about consciously not wanting to die, it's animalistic.

Watch the video of Christopher Hitchens being waterboarded - he gives up after a couple of seconds despite being sure he would be able to stand it and it shouldn't be considered torture, despite knowing he wasn't in any real danger. A drowning person will have a similar response even if they want to die.

Reactions: mlha, willow115, davidtorez and 1 other person
E

everydaythesame

Nov 19, 2023
Their both wet.

• Informative
Reactions: SixNeufUn, vampire2002, NearlyIrrelevantCake and 2 others
I

ihateearth

Student
Apr 1, 2024
I do realise that drowning is not exactly a well recommended method here. However other methods such as SN, overdose and hanging requires me to be in a room, like a hotel or my own flat. If I were to do that, I'm afraid that my family would be involved on several legal issues with landlord or owners after my death, I truly don't want to cause anymore trouble. Considering I have no access to firearms and jumping off a building is mostly ineffective. I consider to use drowning as my method, it's not painful as far as I know and the only enemy is SI, which should be able to be surpressed by alcohol and sleeping pills, also in regards to drowning, it's very unlikely, that my body would be found.
Research it more. For some reason many here believe it's very painful, but haven't researched. I've read it's easier to drown in ocean water and water with a higher salt content due to the salt.

It can take as little as 60 seconds to drown and up to 3 minutes. Some methods like shooting yourself and hanging can be extremely painful and SN takes much longer to work with reports of people profusely vomiting among other things. I've almost drowned and saw white light after I stopped fighting to breathe underwater.

Its possible to make it look like an accidental drowning so family won't think the worse. Lots of accidental drownings happen every year. Best of luck

Last edited:
Reactions: willow115, sevennn and davidtorez
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
One of my most recent attempts [though it was 8 years ago now] was similar to your plan here.

I took a shitload of sedatives and made my way [on foot] to the waterfront downtown late at night. Just as I was struggling to stay conscious, I was stepping into the ocean. I passed out and it was just nothingness. The next thing I knew, I woke up in the ICU over a week later, I'd been in a coma. Someone had seen me and pulled me out of the water soon enough, frustratingly.

I should also note that I can't swim and water terrifies me. But I had no trouble with SI while my brain was so fogged up by the pills I'd taken.

• Hugs
Reactions: ilk, SixNeufUn, Ethernatuskoi and 5 others
Abyssal

Abyssal

Over emotional, can’t handle criticm
Nov 26, 2023
all I know is salt water is more painful but not by much. Where you do it depends more on what else you want from your death, whether it means convenience or just a nice view. Do what you want

Reactions: ihateearth
T

trist_

Jul 15, 2024
One of my most recent attempts [though it was 8 years ago now] was similar to your plan here.

I took a shitload of sedatives and made my way [on foot] to the waterfront downtown late at night. Just as I was struggling to stay conscious, I was stepping into the ocean. I passed out and it was just nothingness. The next thing I knew, I woke up in the ICU over a week later, I'd been in a coma. Someone had seen me and pulled me out of the water soon enough, frustratingly.

I should also note that I can't swim and water terrifies me. But I had no trouble with SI while my brain was so fogged up by the pills I'd taken.
What's the strongest over-the-counter sedatives/sleeping pills? Or what did you use?

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023

Did you do the attempt late at night? Was it in a public place? It sucks that somebody saved you assuming that you still wish to be dead. It's so annoying at how pro lifers go out of their way to prolong a life even though death is inevitable anyway

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
The feeling of water in your lungs is a deep-seated animal instinct on par with suffocation, if not worse.
Feeling of something in the lungs (if it's possible at all) is just a perceived signal, whilst instinct is a genetically programmed conscious behavior. Do you want to say that we are genetically programmed to consciously behave in a specific way under such a specific condition as presence of water in the lungs?
Have you tried to suffocate yourself?

It isn't about consciously not wanting to die, it's animalistic.
Suffocation may cause severe physical discomfort due to reflex tension in the thorax provoked by excess of accumulated carbon dioxide. This physical discomfort is not necessarily accompanied with panic (which is a form of extreme anxiety).
Watch the video of Christopher Hitchens being waterboarded - he gives up after a couple of seconds despite being sure he would be able to stand it and it shouldn't be considered torture, despite knowing he wasn't in any real danger.
A strong physical discomfort may be difficult to bear, but I don't see a connection with panic or actual drowning here. That waterboarding is just a method of causing dry suffocation (since water doesn't really enter the airways or the lungs), while aspiration of water is probably perceived differently.
A drowning person will have a similar response even if they want to die.
What is that opinion based on? Carbon dioxide is soluble in water, so in case of entering the lungs, water could absorb CO2 and mitigate suffocation feelings.

Last edited:
U

Unspoken7612

Experienced
Jul 14, 2024
Feeling of something in the lungs (if it's possible at all) is just a perceived signal, whilst instinct is a genetically programmed conscious behavior. Do you want to say that we are genetically programmed to consciously behave in a specific way under such a specific condition as presence of water in the lungs?
Yes, that's why I said it.

That said I do dispute your definition of "instinct". It doesn't have to be conscious. Jumping at a loud noise is not conscious but is instinctive.

Our ancestors have had to deal with drowning for much longer than they have had to deal with standing on two legs, and as long as we have had to deal with suffocation or loud noises. It's an experience which is strongly associated with death, and we can therefore expect selection to occur. It should not be surprising that we have instincts relating to it.
Suffocation may cause severe physical discomfort due to reflex tension in the thorax provoked by excess of accumulated carbon dioxide. This physical discomfort is not necessarily accompanied with panic (which is a form of extreme anxiety).

A strong physical discomfort may be difficult to bear, but I don't see a connection with panic or actual drowning here. That waterboarding is just a method of causing dry suffocation (since water doesn't really enter the airways or the lungs), while aspiration of water is probably perceived differently.

What is that opinion based on? Carbon dioxide is soluble in water, so in case of entering the lungs, water could absorb CO2 and mitigate suffocation feelings.
The initial discomfort associated with water boarding is not primarily asphyxiation, it is having water run up your nose and begin to flood your airway. People can hold their breath for at least several seconds to avoid asphyxiation, but that doesn't work for waterboarding, where the panic sets in almost immediately when water flows up the nose.

I've heard reports of surviving drowning both from people who did and didn't want to die - except those who were already unconscious when they went under, all report panic. I can also speak from personal experience of trying to drown myself in the bath, which is obviously different because it's so easy to abort - strong panic response.

Reactions: mlha
SixNeufUn

SixNeufUn

Oct 8, 2024
Did you do the attempt late at night? Was it in a public place? It sucks that somebody saved you assuming that you still wish to be dead. It's so annoying at how pro lifers go out of their way to prolong a life even though death is inevitable anyway
I think its a normal response to save someone drowning lmao. How can you know if it wasn't an accident?

nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Dead already. Just need to dispose of my body now.
Aug 6, 2024
Ctb-ing in a public place is rarely a good idea.

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
I couldn't find any useful proof links in that article. It is unclear why the described behavior was presumed to be instinctive. Just because some scientists may think it's instinctive doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

It's rather difficult to distinguish whether a behavioral pattern is "programmed" as a whole or is composed from more primitive skills, some of which can be innate and some of which can be learned.
That said I do dispute your definition of "instinct". It doesn't have to be conscious. Jumping at a loud noise is not conscious but is instinctive.
I think, you confuse instincts and reflexes here. Although the difference between the two may be subtle, unconscious responses are typically termed "reflexes" rather than "instincts".
Our ancestors have had to deal with drowning for much longer than they have had to deal with standing on two legs, and as long as we have had to deal with suffocation or loud noises. It's an experience which is strongly associated with death, and we can therefore expect selection to occur. It should not be surprising that we have instincts relating to it.
Such considerations may be sufficient for making hypotheses about instinctive nature of responses to drowning, but they don't actually prove that your brain would instinctively try to save you despite your will.
The initial discomfort associated with water boarding is not primarily asphyxiation, it is having water run up your nose and begin to flood your airway. People can hold their breath for at least several seconds to avoid asphyxiation, but that doesn't work for waterboarding, where the panic sets in almost immediately when water flows up the nose.
That's actually easy to reproduce and check. It doesn't work on me like that, so I conclude it's just a myth.
I can also speak from personal experience of trying to drown myself in the bath, which is obviously different because it's so easy to abort - strong panic response.
I had an opposite experience. I tried to hold my breath underwater as long as possible many times and I used hyperventilation to delay the urge to breathe. Once I was curious whether I can bear that urge which eventually appeared every time and I was able to resist against it using my will power. After nearly a half-minute, strong desire to breathe became not so strong and a few seconds later I became completely calm. I started to think about unrelated things and almost lost my sense of where I was.

Luckily, SWB didn't come instantly, I was able to notice that I was about to losing consciousness, so I quickly left water and started to hyperventilate, since I didn't plan to CTB at that moment. If I intended to die back then, it would be rather easy to do - I should have waited just a few more seconds to reach a complete blackout.

I had no any feeling of fear or panic when I was underwater, some fear appeared only when I resumed breathing and realized how close I was to death and thought about possible aftereffects, since I had unusual numbness in the head and the whole body that I never felt before that dangerous experiment.

Last edited:
Reactions: SixNeufUn
T

trist_

Jul 15, 2024
I had an opposite experience. I tried to hold my breath underwater as long as possible many times and I used hyperventilation to delay the urge to breathe. Once I was curious whether I can bear that urge which eventually appeared every time and I was able to resist against it using my will power. After nearly a half-minute, strong desire to breathe became not so strong and a few seconds later I became completely calm. I started to think about unrelated things and almost lost my sense of where I am.

Luckily, SWB didn't come instantly, I was able to notice that I was about to losing consciousness, so I quickly left water and started to hyperventilate, since I didn't plan to CTB at that moment. If I intended to die back then, it would be rather easy to do - I should have waited just a few more seconds to reach a complete blackout.

I had no any feeling of fear or panic when I was underwater, some fear appeared only when I resumed breathing and realized how close I was to death and thought about possible aftereffects, since I had unusual numbness in the head and the whole body that I never felt before that dangerous experiment.
When the desire to breathe appears, do you feel pain or is it more of a panic? For example if I were to choking on water, it's not painful in a sense someone that hangs themselves would experience, it's more of the shock or panic.

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
When the desire to breathe appears, do you feel pain or is it more of a panic? For example if I were to choking on water, it's not painful in a sense someone that hangs themselves would experience, it's more of the shock or panic.
Initially I perceive it rather as a terribly unpleasant tension in the chest (that is, physical discomfort) without panic or anxiety. However, if I go further and let this continue for a longer time, strong involuntary contractions in the chest begin to seem dangerous to health (not life) and this is the moment when the fear of adverse health effects in conjunction with the severe physical discomfort motivates me to stop breath holding. I think, if I wanted to CTB right now (and adverse health effects were not a concern), I probably would be able to counter-motivate myself towards breath holding sufficiently despite physical discomfort.

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
I presume, gas asphyxiation (with difluoroethane, butane, nitrous oxide, etc) should be more efficient than any pills, since it causes unconsciousness in seconds and works similarly to drowning (both maintain unconsciousness via deprivation from oxygen). Even if you somehow wake up after initial oxygen deprivation caused by inhaling an oxygen-depleted gas, drowning should induce the next loss of consciousness very quickly, because you'd be already on the half-way to reaching critically low blood oxygen saturation that would be certainly insufficient for keeping you conscious. If you wake up after taking sedative pills, you may need to wait until drowning alone deprives you from oxygen to the same extent, which may take longer in the worst case.

A

AlcoholicSphinx02

Oct 7, 2024
When I was a kid, I drowned in a pool at the holiday inn and right before you black out you feel like there's a shit ton of pressure in your skull which then causes you to breath in water (Due to being submerged under the surface) and subsequently drown. If you decide to drown in an ocean, the water will most likely be salty so do keep that in mind, but you will have on average a lower chance of being found within time if you decide to go with drowning in an ocean as long as you do it where no cruise liners/ships pass by and also attempt it away from any dockyards. If you decide to do your attempt at a pond, make sure it's a pond that not many people go to around the time of year that you're planning on your attempt. Another way you could attempt taking your life at a pond is during the winter, given that there will be ice over the water. So all you'd have to do is just make a hole in the ice just big enough for you to swim under the surface then swim away from the hole a decent distance so that your survival instinct doesn't drive you back to the initial hole in the ice in time.