Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
To those ppl with OCD or other compulsive habits and stuff: when you are in a certain environment and you get an urge to do a certain habit - do you do the habit (and maybe be annoying/rude to people around you) or do you try to control yourself even though it makes you more miserable?

I know this might be a pretty specific thing but I've been dealing with some symptoms similar to OCD or Misophonia. I haven't been professionally diagnosed cause I haven't actually talked about this to my therapist because I had "worse" issues to deal with.
but basically for example, when I go visit someone and we have lunch/dinner together or when we go with family to a restaurant, we have to sit together and eat. I hate mouth and food noises and it makes me want to throw up and just absolutely sick. So if I'm at someone else's house I could be an asshole and say that I have this issue and ask if I could go to the couch and eat it there or I could try and stay at the table and suffer. This happened recently when I visited family for a Christmas dinner (all of my countries restrictions were followed, don't worry) and we had to eat together, I did the second scenario and had to listen to all those noises and basically at the end it made me so sick i couldn't finish the food and I left a pretty big portion and my grandma got mad because she took a lot of time to cook it but I just couldn't continue to eat with all the noises.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: NodusTollens, Ghost2211 and Life sucks
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I can't stand when people super loud eat, so I can imagine how you must feel if ALL eating sounds do that. If you are with family or friends they should be able to understand and accommodate your situation. If you're in a formal or business setting probably have to suffer and deal.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Would ear plugs help?
I've tried ear plugs but they don't block it enough. Usually the people are too close for it to work
I can't stand when people super loud eat, so I can imagine how you must feel if ALL eating sounds do that. If you are with family or friends they should be able to understand and accommodate your situation. If you're in a formal or business setting probably have to suffer and deal.
Yeah it really grosses me out, my mom understand but my grandparents are conservative and don't really understand mental illnesses and I'm pretty sure they don't think they're real. My dad (very loud eater) is sensitive and when he's at home I'm always forced to be at the table when we have dinner:/ and if I'd ask to go to my room and explain then he'd get angry/sad

Last edited: