Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I live in suburban FL, so the opportunities to meet other young adults is....slim. Giving up on Meetup groups that would have me driving 1-2 hours a way to do anything, I decided to see if maybe I could find events on Facebook. Not 5 posts in and I was all ready to leave. Holy fuck. I had forgotten how horrible it is. Maybe this is why I'm alone.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: LastLoveLetter, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, faex42 and 10 others
B

Beachedwhale

Mage
Mar 3, 2021
Social media has been a huge factor in ruining my mental health. Even dating apps.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Ethereal Knight, UseItOrLoseIt and 2 others
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Social media has been a huge factor in ruining my mental health. Even dating apps.
Never had the guts to try dating apps. I regret not trying a few years ago when I had a shadow of a chance to at least get laid. Now I'm living back with the fam as an adult-turned-teenager.

• Hugs
Reactions: Beachedwhale
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I used to enjoy social networks but now they just look...so fake.

You know...people are smiling when they're not that happy actually, or they take photos of themselves from their best angles and use lots of filters so as to look beautiful and make us feel ugly.

SS is my only social network now. I am happier sharing stuff on the forums and my profile than I ever was doing it on Facebook, Instagram, etc...

• Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, BottomlessPit, Élégie and 3 others
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
I used to enjoy social networks but now they just look...so fake.

You know...people are smiling when they're not that happy actually, or they take photos of themselves from their best angles and use lots of filters so as to look beautiful and make us feel ugly.

SS is my only social network now. I am happier sharing stuff on the forums and my profile than I ever was doing it on Facebook, Instagram, etc...
I guess it's because we all share a common goal and have automatically admitted to each other one of the most vulnerable things you can possibly share: the desire to die by your own hand.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Journeytoletgo, demuic and 2 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (though maybe I should replace that with TikTok):
The Unholy Trinity

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, FuneralCry and demuic
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (though maybe I should replace that with TikTok):
The Unholy Trinity
Tik Tok seems like a fucking dumpster fire, but maybe that's just my old Millennial self talking. More and more people I know are using it.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog, demuic and LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Never had the guts to try dating apps. I regret not trying a few years ago when I had a shadow of a chance to at least get laid. Now I'm living back with the fam as an adult-turned-teenager.
Dating apps are horrible, and I'm not even romantically inclined.
They are like a very concentrated version of the superficiality and shallow prerequisites that are present in everyday life.
Tik Tok seems like a fucking dumpster fire, but maybe that's just my old Millennial self talking. More and more people I know are using it.
It is a dumpster fire for the most part, the more likable people who use it usually don't become popular-unlike the head bopping models and "dancers" who do.

Reactions: demuic
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Facebook is cancer. And old.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo and Élégie
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't use social media but I know that it brings out the worst in people. Many websites are filled with toxic positivity as well, the type of stuff that annoys me. If I spent time on those sites, it would be the equivalent of a slow painful death.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, UseItOrLoseIt, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 3 others
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Sometimes a thorough elaboration is in place, but when it comes to social media is suffices to say that it's total shit.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, UseItOrLoseIt and Ame
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I don't know if I'm about to be chased with torches and pitchforks, but I haven't used social media in years and got active on Facebook recently...and I can't really tell why it causes such intense hatred in so many people. It's basically just a tool to communicate with people when you don't have their number. Can someone explain why exactly Facebook is so hated among many people?

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
I don't know if I'm about to be chased with torches and pitchforks, but I haven't used social media in years and got active on Facebook recently...and I can't really tell why it causes such intense hatred in so many people. It's basically just a tool to communicate with people when you don't have their number. Can someone explain why exactly Facebook is so hated among many people?
Because of the stupid shit people post there, including politics. It can feel like a watered down, semi-safe-for-work 4chan depending on where you live. It's funny you mention pitchforks because it's easy to have them coming after you during election season.

Really though, it's mostly the performative nature of it. Sad or glad, every post is dramatized to trigger a reaction. Maybe I just have bad people in my life, but I've heard I'm far from alone in my assessment.

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Because of the stupid shit people post there, including politics.
Ah, politics. I see, it can be really annoying. A couple of random people tried to add me as a friend and I accepted at first, but in both cases these people were posting a lot of polarizing political content and I'm pretty sure those are people with an agenda, so I can see how Facebook can become problematic like that, especially if someone you know IRL starts to repost this BS.
No one I know in real life posts anything political on their feeds though, thankfully. Maybe that's rather unusual, idk.
Really though, it's mostly the performative nature of it. Sad or glad, every post is dramatized to trigger a reaction. Maybe I just have bad people in my life, but I've heard I'm far from alone in my assessment.
Well, I just scrolled through my feed for a really long time just for a test and all I found were a couple of family pictures, a bunch of pictures of pets, alcohol and drunk shenanigans and the rest was just memes (I even ran into a suicide joke) and random posts like "oh, this exotic location sure looks pretty" and "oh, I'm so nostalgic for this bunch of TV ads from the 90s do you remember these too you old fart?". I suppose I'm officialy the most dramatic person I know, because no one else seems to post anything dramatized. But maybe that's just my social circle, if other people's experience is bickering over social and political stuff with people you know and constant dramatic grabs for attention, then I can understand why they don't like facebook.

Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
dating apps can be incredibly damaging to mental health. and they are highly addictive. I'm scared to see what the 21 century has become with all these smartphones and apps. the world is profoundly different today...

I also hate Facebook. it reminds me of how alone I am and of how humans are terrible creatures.

now more recently, post-covid, the censorship became so huge and blatant, that it became obvious that the plataforms' goal is to make money and that's it. it's all about money and power. they don't care about their users or about freedom, at all.

Last edited:
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Because of the stupid shit people post there, including politics. It can feel like a watered down, semi-safe-for-work 4chan depending on where you live. It's funny you mention pitchforks because it's easy to have them coming after you during election season.
I'm sure you know this already, but Facebook is functioning exactly as it is designed. Nobody noticed the point at which people stopped using computers and started being used by them. Zuckerberg's job is to pretend he cares about the social issues being caused while political extremism of all forms runs rampant.

On the plus side, Facebook's possible decline has been in the news lately. But whatever the outcome, the world has been divided and human behaviour has regressed for many years to come. Funny how even the most awful crimes against humanity are perfectly legal if they involve technology that is too new or complex to be understood and controlled. I sometimes use the example that there were no speed limits when the first automobile was invented by Karl Benz in 1885.

As for dating apps, that's just the Nembutal-flavoured icing on the CTB cake.