CFLoser

CFLoser

I fcking hate myself
Dec 5, 2018
Nostalgia is so powerful that you get sucked into it and basically add onto the past every time you revisit the memory. Realistically, the memory isn't important anymore, but you put more and more stock into it the more you go back.

So enjoyable events become life defining ones.
Traumatic events become oddly nostalgic too.

Idk, just seems kind of bullshit to me. Why the fuck does this one specific emotion have so much power?

I think it's because nostalgia takes our emotions and combines them with our memories. The emotions shape the memories to make you more nostalgic about that period more. It's like a drug.

chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Our memories aren't snapshots of reality, but are created by our minds, based on our experiences. When we think about enjoyable events from the past, they're much more pleasant than they actually were and much more pleasant than any real event can ever be.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, Sprite_Geist and AtMostOkay
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I don't feel nostalgic for anywhere I've been or anything I've experienced, but I feel nostalgic when I listen to vaporwave.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Sometimes I feel nostalgic about certain times in my life but deep down, I know that they were not exactly the best times. I think because now the memories are so distant, I ignore the more negative aspects of it. I think many people use nostalgia as escapism from the difficulties they are experiencing in the current moment. For the most part I look at many past events negatively, I wish we could erase memories.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers
CFLoser

CFLoser

I fcking hate myself
Dec 5, 2018
The past is your memory, and the future, is your imagination