Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
Odd question, bare with.

Living how my mindset has been for 2 yrs now, for me waking up feeling like I do is normal, yet I am told it is not, which I respect, yet on the flip side, all I see on social media *shudders* is mental health and how it should be normalized, and spoken about.
How a child is having a wobbley day, and instant response is OMG their mental health is at risk,
Bad day at work, OMG My mental health is sooooooooo bad I can't cope,
I can't sleep, I have had an anxiety my mental health is now a major concern,

it never ends, all these people get people surrounding them offering to be there for them, saying you can live another day, blah blah blah,
I do not belittle these people in any way, mainly because we deal with thing's differently to others, my question is this,

never do I see someone say,
*I was raped, I am struggling today* *my child hood was traumatic, I can't deal with today*
Because as soon as you do, people state they apparently understand, and know how you are feeling,

Then there's the ones, who don't use social media to blab about their mental health, the one's on this forum, for example, who keep themselves to themselves, private almost, struggling in silence, knowing to speak out, often results in bullshit empty platitudes.

current mental health on social media seems very different to the one I see on here, or at least the one I have experienced, as well as many stories on here.

Fir the latter group, At what point is how we feel normal, is it normal for it to feel normal, even though its not normal, or at least not society's view of mental health or how it should be?

I am confused, it's 2pm I have rum....
Send help, or more rum, actually the latter would be best, more rum, and cake too, cake a bonus!

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat, A_miStake_of_NATURE, AtMostOkay and 2 others
T

Tamz

Student
Sep 1, 2021
current mental health on social media seems very different to the one I see on here, or at least the one I have experienced, as well as many stories on here.
Could you try to elaborate on this please?

Umm I think I'm confused now too. I think rum and cake is a good plan, a damn good plan.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
For the latter group, At what point is how we feel normal, is it normal for it to feel normal, even though its not normal, or at least not society's view of mental health or how it should be?

What is normal really? I've had chronic depression for 20 years now and it's definitely "normal" for me to feel like this. It's a part of who I am now and I can't even fathom what "recovery" looks like anymore. I suppose the point at which this feels "normal" to someone would differ wildly from individual to individual.

How a child is having a wobbley day, and instant response is OMG their mental health is at risk,
Bad day at work, OMG My mental health is sooooooooo bad I can't cope,
I can't sleep, I have had an anxiety my mental health is now a major concern,

it never ends, all these people get people surrounding them offering to be there for them, saying you can live another day, blah blah blah,
I do not belittle these people in any way, mainly because we deal with thing's differently to others, my question is this,

never do I see someone say,
*I was raped, I am struggling today* *my child hood was traumatic, I can't deal with today*
Because as soon as you do, people state they apparently understand, and know how you are feeling,

Then there's the ones, who don't use social media to blab about their mental health, the one's on this forum, for example, who keep themselves to themselves, private almost, struggling in silence, knowing to speak out, often results in bullshit empty platitudes.

Social Media is a whole nother beast and I'd say it's not a good indicator of someones well being in general. It's very prone to hyperbole and sensationalism. It's also highly censored and as such you really can't discuss much of anything serious in depth.

Until society is ready to have a genuine discussion about mental health then I'm afraid we're stuck with empty platitudes and unicorn farts, especially on more popular social platforms. This place is a definite step forward but it's going to take more than one corner of the net to change hearts and minds on the subject.

I am confused, it's 2pm I have rum....
Send help, or more rum, actually the latter would be best, more rum, and cake too, cake a bonus!

Giphy 20

Giphy 21

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Dead Meat, logan, AtMostOkay and 2 others
aviation

aviation

It's time to go home.
Jul 30, 2021
At what point is how we feel normal, is it normal for it to feel normal, even though its not normal, or at least not society's view of mental health or how it should be?
Normality is arbitrary; it has no inherent meaning, in that sense. For example, for me, what feels 'normal', in that sense, is my home, and how things are there, as this is my frame of reference and basis for interpretation - while this is obviously at odds with this world. Even on a self-contained level, though, there can never be a 'fixed standard', because any currently-perceived 'norm' will always be just that - interpretation of observation of what is currently perceived; and within that, people will always have their own context to base things on.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat, UseItOrLoseIt, AtMostOkay and 1 other person
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
Could you try to elaborate on this please?

Umm I think I'm confused now too. I think rum and cake is a good plan, a damn good plan.

its almost explained in my post, social media, OMG I have had a bad day at work, my mental health is at serious risk, Vs here, Life long traumas, where people are struggling at a whole other level, yet its a level we cannot speak of openly, because the bad day stuff, is what is spoken of openly, ours is irrelevant almost
Normality is arbitrary; it has no inherent meaning, in that sense. For example, for me, what feels 'normal', in that sense, is my home, and how things are there, as this is my frame of reference and basis for interpretation - while this is obviously at odds with this world. Even on a self-contained level, though, there can never be a 'fixed standard', because any currently-perceived 'norm' will always be just that - interpretation of observation of what is currently perceived; and within that, people will always have their own context to base things on.

I get this but it hurts my brain

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat, AtMostOkay and Brick In The Wall
T

Tamz

Student
Sep 1, 2021
Ahh I see what you mean. I sometimes wonder whether it's due to use of incorrect words - such as OMG, I've had such a bad day at work, I'm so depressed or OMG I'm soooo anxious for my interview.Where depressed is not really the correct word and anxiety is actually reflecting pretty normal nerves. God, I don't think I'm making myself very clear. I reckon it's too much of the cake!

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat, Brick In The Wall and AtMostOkay
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
Ahh I see what you mean. I sometimes wonder whether it's due to use of incorrect words - such as OMG, I've had such a bad day at work, I'm so depressed or OMG I'm soooo anxious for my interview.Where depressed is not really the correct word and anxiety is actually reflecting pretty normal nerves. God, I don't think I'm making myself very clear. I reckon it's too much of the cake!
anxiety I do see as a normal human emotion and reaction, its when it becomes harmful in every day life that i think it becomes more then a normal emotion, but those lines get so blurred

• Hugs
T

Tamz

Student
Sep 1, 2021
anxiety I do see as a normal human emotion and reaction, its when it becomes harmful in every day life that i think it becomes more then a normal emotion, but those lines get so blurred
They really do get blurred. I've known people to be so anxious they are unable to leave their home, go shopping or be near too many people at any one time so I kinda look at it as the overuse of words which don't always quite fit the emotion. As you say, listening to stories on here are so very different to general everyday life struggles. Some everyday life stressor are to be expected but to be impacted so deeply by trauma to not want to be around is so different and i just sometimes think people using "buzz" words minimise very deep struggles.

• Hugs