C

curioustotheend

Feb 18, 2024
Hi all,
What nonprescription drugs can cause the same effects as zopiclone? Sleeping seems to be my only release until I pluck up the courage to CTB .

Red_sleep

Red_sleep

Jul 29, 2023
No non-prescription drugs will come remotely close to the effects of zopiclone.

However, you can try a few things such as: Melatonin (both slow and instant release), valerian root, and Doxylamine (Unisom). I'm dealing with horrible insomnia as well, and haven't find anything that works for me :/.

Reactions: cowboypants, HereTomorrow and warriorkot
HereTomorrow

HereTomorrow

Eternally atoning
Feb 1, 2024
Melatonin is the easiest to obtain. It makes you sleepy to encourage you to sleep, but cannot make you sleep directly like a sedative.

Magnesium and magnesium spray can provide a similar effect (personally, not as strong as melatonin), though it's pretty much a wellness trend that works for some people and not others.

Also, tried valerian root capsules. You can probably search my history but while I believe it does indeed work for sleep from other perspectives, it personally gave me a massive headache for 12+ hours and destroyed my sleep schedule for a bit.

All three tend to make you more groggy in the morning. You still have to be put an effort to sleep, unfortunately.

Reactions: Red_sleep
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
If you live in a country where it's over the counter, benadryl is an option. 25-50mg (1-2 tablets) is enough to put most people out. I wouldn't recommend long term use of this though.

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
There aren't any hypnotics OTC anywhere that I know of. Benadryl is sold under a million names and sold mixed with a million drugs, it doesn't help you sleep, it just helps you (very slightly) get unconscious to oversimplify it.

Reactions: curioustotheend
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
There aren't any hypnotics OTC anywhere that I know of. Benadryl is sold under a million names and sold mixed with a million drugs, it doesn't help you sleep, it just helps you (very slightly) get unconscious to oversimplify it.
It's not the purpose of the drug, but drowsiness is one of the most common side effects. I was prescribed it by a doctor years back for sleep after actual sleeping meds failing to work for me. So it very much can be used as a sleep aid. It is just cautioned against for long term use.

Reactions: curioustotheend
SonicFan1994

SonicFan1994

Jun 17, 2024
I use aleeve pm it works for me

weed thca and cbd cbn use to work for me too, until i gave myself brain damage from a failed attempt

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
It's not the purpose of the drug, but drowsiness is one of the most common side effects. I was prescribed it by a doctor years back for sleep after actual sleeping meds failing to work for me. So it very much can be used as a sleep aid. It is just cautioned against for long term use.
I was trying to describe that it doesn't promote sleep in the way a hypnotic does

landslide2

landslide2

Arcanist
May 6, 2024
An antihistamine like Benadryl. I was prescribed a prescription strength antihistamine (hydroxyzine) once just as a sleep aid. But as others said, not good for longterm.
Blackout curtains.
Foam ear plugs.
Sound/Noise Machine (brown noise).

thenorthern

thenorthern

Sep 19, 2024
air sickness medications work wonders to put me to sleep. Maybe try that or some allergy medication?

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
air sickness medications work wonders to put me to sleep. Maybe try that or some allergy medication?
Air sickness and benadryl (diphenhydramine) are all antihistamines (allergy medication)
I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but you're not getting what I'm getting at, and it's out of the scope of this place anyway.

thenorthern

thenorthern

Sep 19, 2024
Air sickness and benadryl (diphenhydramine) are all antihistamines (allergy medication)

I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but you're not getting what I'm getting at, and it's out of the scope of this place anyway.
Yeah I did not read his whole history.

J

justkatie

Aug 25, 2024
This is very specific, but if you're an older woman you can ask for progesterone from a GP in the UK.

That stuff is like a sedative to many of us.

KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Paragon
Apr 15, 2024
Alcohol... but it will destroy your sleep quality and give insomnia in the long run. There are no OTC drugs for sleep, but there are supplements. For example, L-Theanine. It is an amino-acid said to induce relaxation without sedation.