Killstofferson

Killstofferson

Oct 7, 2022
I didn't exercise this weekend, so I felt depressed yesterday on Monday. I went went for a walk, and then I noticed a recommended video that was actually useful for once. A nice departure from the excessively happy-horseshit approach you usually get when you Google suicide. Just facts. I feel better this morning, by the way.

https://youtu.be/TVgQ_tgWMyU

• Hugs
Reactions: ncmxm, brighteyes, Shivali and 1 other person
ncmxm

ncmxm

Experienced
Jun 9, 2021
I didn't exercise this weekend, so I felt depressed yesterday on Monday. I went went for a walk, and then I noticed a recommended video that was actually useful for once. A nice departure from the excessively happy-horseshit approach you usually get when you Google suicide. Just facts. I feel better this morning, by the way.

https://youtu.be/TVgQ_tgWMyU
Sorry would you mind telling what you found the most useful?

Killstofferson

Killstofferson

Oct 7, 2022
The idea that the way you live your life affects your mood. A lot of people like to dismiss the old cliches that you should eat properly an
Sorry would you mind telling what you found the most useful?
Speaking personally, it help me put a lot of stuff together. Usually when you look up suicide online, you get a bunch of people who talk about how precious and valuable life is, as if everyone enjoys life as much as they do. It's insulting, and it just made me feel worse. Before I watched this, I figured that I was born with depression and there was nothing I could do about it. My parents were both smart, attractive people when they met and then got married less than a month later. They made good money, too, so I never really wanted for anything material. But my parents were both also strongly predisposed to being reclusive and depressive with their personalities. The video made me consider for the first time, though, that neither they nor I _had_ to be depressed. I talked about wanting to kill myself since I was 4 or 5 years old. Why would such a small child want to kill himself? I figured it was because I had bad genes inside me that made me think that way. However, according to the video, it's more likely that genes had very little to do with my depression, and it's more likely that I picked up a depressive attitude from my parents, who realized too late after getting married and having kids that they weren't really compatible with each other with anything besides looks. I've thought for years that I didn't want to repeat their mistake by having kids of my own. The video suggests that if I approach life the right way and fix some of my bad habits, I can be happy, and I can even have a happy family. It would not be easy given what I'm predisposed for, and it would require constant effort, discipline, and abstinence from bad habits, but it would be possible.

What I'm saying is a lot of unhappy people would literally rather kill themselves than stop doing things that are bad for them. Not exercising. Drinking. Smoking weed. Abusing legal or illegal drugs. Looking at screens all day. Getting stuck inside their heads and creating fantasies that no one likes them, that no one has ever tried to be nice to them, and that everyone who is happy is stupid. A lot of depressive people _say_ that they have no other choice, but I think more than a few of us are just spoiled in a way. We've become so used to things that we enjoy in the short-term, that we think we should never have to stop using those things, even though they're making us miserable. When I go for a 40-minute walk, I _do_ feel a lot better the next day. I feel miserable again the day after that, but I have the choice to go for a walk the next day to keep my mood up. There _were_ lots of people who tried to be friends or lovers with me, but I chose to stay in my self-pity fantasy instead of putting in the effort to be nice back. I don't want to walk, eat well, avoid weed, and be nice to people. I just want to feel content and happy without so much discipline and effort. But that's not how being happy works. You have to put the effort in. A lot of people tend to dismiss the idea that you should eat properly, exercise, and not spend so much time playing games as cliches that out-of-touch old people say, but they really do have a point. And improving your mood really could be as simple as putting in effort and giving people a chance. It's just a bother, and a lot of people here in particular would rather feel sorry for themselves instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Maudlin, ncmxm and kiuya