arcadia

arcadia

Jan 5, 2023
If anyone has any experience with the NHS, could you leave it below? I can't afford private treatment so any hope I have of getting better is in their hands. It's quite scary, you read about how the NHS are stretched too thin to handle with physical injury and disease, let alone this. I just want to know if I am doomed or not. If they are not equipped to deal with physical injury or illness that has a linear path to recovery, how could they be equipped to aid something like this... I'm worried that they'll tell me to 'stay positive'. Like they'll think I'm a dullard, and say everything I thought years ago. "Just try x" "Try Y"

Last edited:
J

JM2RXA

Jan 21, 2023
Hey, I have experience with the NHS if you want to chat.

Is there a particular area you want to know more about, have you started any treatment so far?

With regards to mental health, the NHS uses a stepped system, with four steps which represent different "intensities" of care. Step one is primary care, which will be your GP, who you should talk to if you're having suicidal thoughts, thoughts about self harm, or generally struggling with your mental health.

The GP will likely prescribe you a first line anti-depressant, something like sertraline, which may help.

You can also either have the GP, or self refer yourself, to step two which are IAPT services; these services are essentially short course therapies like CBT where you'll normally have between five and ten sessions. Unfortunately waiting times to see someone are likely to be a couple of months.

Depending on severity, how things progress etc. you may find yourself also referred to a local mental health team (LMHT) which is step three on the rung. With an LMHT your options are broader, you will have access to things like a community psychiatric nurse, psychologists, and psychiatrists to manage more "off-label" drugs.

Finally, and likely only after being with a crisis service, and once all options are exhausted, will you find yourself at step four which are designated for severe and treatment resistant depression.

That kinda summarises the step approach, hopefully it helps in some way.

Of course different people may enter the model at different points, and this doesn't touch upon things like crisis teams, or the nitty gritty about what might happen if you end up in hospital in a crisis etc. but I'm happy to also talk about that if you want to know more.

If I may also suggest you talk to the folk in the Recovery Discussion forum, as you may find they have better experiences with navigating the health system and, excuse the pun, coming out the other side.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jonbonesjones, Regen, NoHorizon and 3 others
arcadia

arcadia

Jan 5, 2023
Hey, I have experience with the NHS if you want to chat.

Is there a particular area you want to know more about, have you started any treatment so far?

With regards to mental health, the NHS uses a stepped system, with four steps which represent different "intensities" of care. Step one is primary care, which will be your GP, who you should talk to if you're having suicidal thoughts, thoughts about self harm, or generally struggling with your mental health.

The GP will likely prescribe you a first line anti-depressant, something like sertraline, which may help.

You can also either have the GP, or self refer yourself, to step two which are IAPT services; these services are essentially short course therapies like CBT where you'll normally have between five and ten sessions. Unfortunately waiting times to see someone are likely to be a couple of months.

Depending on severity, how things progress etc. you may find yourself also referred to a local mental health team (LMHT) which is step three on the rung. With an LMHT your options are broader, you will have access to things like a community psychiatric nurse, psychologists, and psychiatrists to manage more "off-label" drugs.

Finally, and likely only after being with a crisis service, and once all options are exhausted, will you find yourself at step four which are designated for severe and treatment resistant depression.

That kinda summarises the step approach, hopefully it helps in some way.

Of course different people may enter the model at different points, and this doesn't touch upon things like crisis teams, or the nitty gritty about what might happen if you end up in hospital in a crisis etc. but I'm happy to also talk about that if you want to know more.

If I may also suggest you talk to the folk in the Recovery Discussion forum, as you may find they have better experiences with navigating the health system and, excuse the pun, coming out the other side.
Just got to this now. This is incredibly detailed and useful. If you're over 18, I presume they don't inform your parents about you seeking care? I do not wish for my father or my mother to know

Dumb Dog
Jan 11, 2023
Just got to this now. This is incredibly detailed and useful. If you're over 18, I presume they don't inform your parents about you seeking care? I do not wish for my father or my mother to know
If you're over 18 if you're not deemed a big risk they won't tell anyone. However if you talk about plans and such they often have to tell who you are living with about it for safety reasons. If you're in therapy and such most nhs services let you get your letters and appointments via text and emails instead of physical letters.
In my experience of seeing the crisis team when I was 16 they didn't talk to my parents because I let them know it could make things hostile on the living environment and they gave me the option of home visits or meeting up at a different location or phone calls. I've been in therapy since I was a minor and they never talked to my parents without my consent even when I was engaged in risky behaviours but this stuff can differ from therapist to therapist. I requested a change of therapist once and it went well so remember that is a option too

Reactions: Regen
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Othr optns if r nt abl 2 affrd a thrpst also

Reactions: Regen
toro

toro

dr pepper drinker
Feb 11, 2023
ive gone through the NHS and my mother works in it! my whole family has a history within working at the NHS actually, so i know a lot more than most lol, i have personal experiences, good and bad, but i think what experience you have does depend on your region, i live in an awful town whose economy is fuelled off dodgy corner shops, so my experience wasnt the greatest ever, but i guess it worked since im not dead yet :D