N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
This will be a short thread. I read that in The Pale King of David Foster Wallace.
I tried to verify it here is the result of my research.

"According to a study published in the Journal of Pain Research, neuroticism is associated with increased pain sensitivity and decreased pain tolerance. However, it is important to note that pain perception is subjective and can vary from person to person. Stoicism is a philosophy that emphasizes the importance of emotional control and resilience in the face of adversity. While stoic individuals may be better equipped to manage pain, it is not necessarily true that they experience less pain than neurotic individuals"

Sorry I don't have much time for a longer research. The author was highly neurotic (just as me) and commiitted suicide while working on this book.

I had severe psychsomatic pain in the past and it made me extremely suicidal. When I think about stoic people I think about my grandma. She has been through a lot of shit but she was able to accept all their blows of fates. And she could simply say to her and fully believe it: The bottle is half full and not half empty. Personally I have the feeling with such a narrative I only fool myself and that believing it was naive.

There are several issues. I cannot just accept the abuse that happened to me. Because it completely screwed my nervous system. I am a broken person. Due to the fact I am destroyed I cannot be stoic. I am too much of a wreck. But also in the other direction. I am so neurotic that I simply cannot function. Being neurotic makes me a wreck.

So there is no chance for me to escape that. It is not simply a choice to be neurotic. The personality is usually manifested when reaching the age 25. It is pretty difficult wanting to change that. Of course looking at the bright side can work for some people. I rather feel fraudulent when doing that. For example I rather post here in this forum about my agony and suffering on a daily basis than to post on instagram which new products I bought myself or which food I ate this day.

My form of coping does not work for everyone. But I just cannot be stoic because it just does not fits my character. I would describe myself with other adjectives than stoic. There are some patterns of their behavior which I tried to copy but not all of them worked for me. Some narratives were rather counterproductive. But i also lack knowledge on stoicism and this thread probably contains a lot of half knowledge.

One last remark. At least for me it is true. I am highly neurotic and I suffer like a pig (German figure) while having psychosomatic pain. But I also cannot cope well with mental pain. And I plan to kill myself when rock bottom returns. But here is again the impact in both directions. I cannot cope well with pain this why I plan to commit suicide. The fact I plan my suicide under these circumstances kind of shows that I cannot cope well with pain. Others might would hope for the best and only worry about the pain when the chaos errupts. Me instead I plan my future and all my worrying about the future is also part of my neuroticism. I want to say no matter which framing or narrative I use I cannot escape the person I simply am. (which gives the idiom to make the best of my own situation a certain irony. By not forcing me to try to be completely stoic I show some coping skills and stamina.)

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: phersper, Jan1193, foreverfalling and 1 other person