N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I noticed this a couple of times in my life. I have some unattractive traits which are unpleasant when other people realize them. I don't think they are very severe but people perceive them a little bit anti-social (but I think the term would be an exaggeration I cannot find the right word). I experienced domestic violence for over a decade as child and teenager and I was severely bullied at school. This left a lot of scars and let me become in some ways a bad person.

I think one thing that is quite stupid. I am unfriendly. I really struggle with that. Maybe that is a sign for a mild form of autism but I struggle with social rituals. They annoy me. I like to break the expectation of the people around me/friends and breaking social norms can be funny. But I think I am just pretty stupid and people wonder about such behavior. I don't do this often. And I tried to reduce this very much. If you don't take part in some core social interactions you will be perceived as very social awkard. And I made huge progress in this instance.

I have to remind myself of not being judgmental. Sometimes I am too judgemental when I lack experience with someone else's situation. One girl I was close with and almost had a relationship with disliked that I was judgemental on the unemployed boyfriend of my sister. I disliked him a lot (not because of his unemployment) and maybe said some stupid things. It is ironic that I will die because of poverty. However I was raised in a very very toxic family. I think they trained me to become judgemental. For the whole ton of abuse I have been through I am a good person. I was beaten up from age 7 till 15 almost every single day. I was shouted at, cried due to it and got beaten up for crying too much. I developed OCD and was beaten up for OCD behavior. The whole thing was very sick. In school I was bullied for being obese (maybe mom overfed me) and with OCD I was an easy target for bullying. I read stories of other people. And I think many people with a similar background of mine become criminals and force their pain on others. Gladly I never did that. The only person that I will intentionally hurt is myself. Sadly because it is necessary in case there is no way for a peaceful suicide for me.

Furthermore my parents raised me to be selfish. And I am still that till today. I think another reason for my unattractive traits is the following. Life was extremely harsh to me. I have been through extreme shit. And I have become extremely harsh on myself. I am extremely disciplined. And sometimes I lack the empathy for people with less discipline. I sometimers cannpot understand people in such circumstances. I think in general I am a very agitated person with a huge drive to do things. I have to force myself to give me breaks otherwise my mind would be busy with things 24/7.

I am too direct to people. I know a bipolar girl who is ruining her life because she is too delusional to recognize her destructive behavior. I think I was way more patient than most people. I really am others were annoyed after a short time. But I was a little bit rude to her recently. I wanted her to realize that she needs medication if she wants to be stable over a long time but she is just not listening.

Okay now to another very unattractive trait. I worship intelligence way too much. I think my therapist disliked some remarks of mine. I think he perceived me as judgmental to less educated people. I think the bullying played a major role in that. I was bullied for being stupid and not educated enough. I changed myself diametrically and worked very hard to become educated. I hate myself for worshipping intelligence so much. It is very insular and self-absorbed but I cannot change it. I barely have self-confidence otherwise. And I am extremely obsessed how other people perceive me.

I think all these things are unpleasant. But it could have gotten even worse.

StolenLife

StolenLife

Warlock
Sep 19, 2022
I was bullied too, and I have noticed that I became just like them in the end. Just like you, I'm also direct with people and judgemental. I also feel like I've lost some empathy for others and in general I only look out for myself. I think that it's a coping mechanism and an adaptation to trauma. You are probably judgemental because you had to be careful in reading the room in order not to anger your abusers and you needed to learn how to read people to see who is your friend and who isn't. You are probably "selfish" because no one looked out for you so you had to be the only one with your best interests in mind. You might be direct with people because, after all you've been through, you can't stand when someone complains about something minor. At least that's how it is with me. These aren't bad things.
Also, there's that cliche of an abused person repeating the behaviours of their abuser. I don't know the psychology behind that, but maybe we do it because we subconsciously think that their behaviours towards us were right? I don't know.
Anyway, I don't think that you should blame yourself.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223