• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Nephis

Nephis

“Death should take me while I am in the mood.”
Sep 3, 2018
So I'm buying a shotgun at some point in the near future for my method, I'm planning on going to a local gun shop, I don't need a permit for buying a shotgun in my state, so what should I expect? What should I do, and will I need to worry about any background checks?

I'm mostly worried about whether or not it may seem weird for a woman to just come in and pick up a 12gauge shotgun and a box of slugs and act like it's all fine, should I worry it may be suspicious?

• Hugs
Reactions: tora and alonely
P

pandsniper100

Feb 18, 2023
U could say it's for self defence if u ever need to defend ur home

Reactions: lavender143once, locked*n*loaded and alonely
N

NambaSutra

Student
Mar 25, 2023
Think about this, the USA has more guns than people. The store sells many guns every day because they are popular. (and if they didn't sell enough they would stop selling guns because that's how business works)

It always baffles me when people worry about "looking suspicious" buying a gun in the USA. No, you're just another paying customer the store workers don't care. There is a good chance they are gun enthusiasts themselves.

As for what to expect, you have to fill out an official government form on a touchscreen. That's for the background check. There are 3 possible outcomes, an instant yes, an instant no, or a delay, in which case they will decide in a few days. If it's yes you can walk out of the store with a gun. If it's no you don't get the gun. It's that simple.

Reactions: touhoufan and ropearoundatree
Nephis

Nephis

“Death should take me while I am in the mood.”
Sep 3, 2018
Think about this, the USA has more guns than people. The store sells many guns every day because they are popular. (and if they didn't sell enough they would stop selling guns because that's how business works)

It always baffles me when people worry about "looking suspicious" buying a gun in the USA. No, you're just another paying customer the store workers don't care. There is a good chance they are gun enthusiasts themselves.

As for what to expect, you have to fill out an official government form on a touchscreen. That's for the background check. There are 3 possible outcomes, an instant yes, an instant no, or a delay, in which case they will decide in a few days. If it's yes you can walk out of the store with a gun. If it's no you don't get the gun. It's that simple.
I see thank you

alonely

alonely

exists by being merely labeled
Jul 1, 2023
I've thought about this too. If it feels like they want to know or anything, i would also go with a story of home defense and maybe spice it up with a story of an ex that you're a bit wary of or being afraid of being stalked or followed home as a single woman or something, probably easier to go with any story that might be the closest to the truth for you.

Personally I have thought that I'd start by going to a local shooting range to "test out" the guns and learn how to use and shoot them or whatever, and just be more confident with their use before using one on myself. Some gun ranges also sell guns. So that could make it more comfortable when buying.

todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
you can google the atf background check paperwork and read it for yourself. Its important not to lie on it.

yea just say youre looking for a basic home defense 12 gauge shotgun. Should be some basic american brands like mossberg or chinese, turkish ones for even less. No risk in buying a cheap pump action shotgun.

for home defense they might try and steer you away from slugs but just say you live alone and arent worried about overpenetration

Reactions: pringle6066
S

sevenkarmas

Student
Oct 10, 2022
It may raise suspicion depending on your size. If you're 4'10" buying a 12 gauge, they may ask if you've ever shot one before. Depending on the load of the shells, there could be significant recoil. One of the gun shops near me has an indoor range and they allow you to shoot a gun before you buy it. This may not be a bad idea. They can show you how it works and you can get a feel of what it will be like to shoot.

Reactions: AntHills
L

lopsidedcrawdad1

Experienced
Jun 22, 2023
It may raise suspicion depending on your size. If you're 4'10" buying a 12 gauge, they may ask if you've ever shot one before. Depending on the load of the shells, there could be significant recoil. One of the gun shops near me has an indoor range and they allow you to shoot a gun before you buy it. This may not be a bad idea. They can show you how it works and you can get a feel of what it will be like to shoot.
I dont know how good of an idea that is lol. If somebodies never shot a gun before, then shoots a 12 guage, its going to scare the shit out of them. I grew up shooting guns and the kick on a 12 guage still kinda scares me haha

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I really don't know how someone wouldn't avail themselves of taking the opportunity to actually shoot a shotgun, any gun really, in a closed, safe space in order to get a feel for it, especially if one has never held or fired any gun their entire life. Of course they're going to ask you what you need it for, but only so they understand what your needs are so that they can accommodate your needs. They may even try to talk you (as far as the OP is concerned) into something smaller, something easier to handle, like a handgun. Just say that you've done a little research (and you have, you're here on SaSu posing questions) and you understand that you have a greater likelihood of not missing your intended target (fictional intruder) should the need ever arise, and a shotgun is going to make you feel the most comfortable at being able to successfully defend yourself. You just tell them that you've talked with friends and colleagues and this is the best decision for you. You just want something for home defense. You're not interested in concealed carry, so you don't want a pistol, at least not at the present time. That's it. Keep your responses smooth and speak with assurance that you know what you want.

Reactions: ropearoundatree, pringle6066 and tora
R

ropearoundatree

Student
Nov 9, 2023
Not sure how you're progressing--or have, "progressed?" But I would think a 20 gauge, would be plenty...

Reactions: lavender143once