To what percentage do you think nature/nurture influences who we are?

• 100% Nature (Genetics.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90% Nature, 10% Nurture.

• 80% Nature, 20% Nurture.

• 70% Nature, 30% Nurture.

• 60% Nature, 40% Nurture.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 50% Nature, 50% Nurture.

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • 40% Nature, 60% Nurture.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 30% Nature, 70% Nurture.

• 20% Nature, 80% Nurture.

• 100% Nurture.

• Total voters
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Just read an interesting thread on biological determinism which inspired me to post this as a poll.

Which do you think influences who we become the most? Our genetics- nature or, our ubringing and life experiences- nurture?

I couldn't fit all the options on the poll in the end. I had to miss out the 10% Nature, 90% Nurture option. I'm interested to see what people think though...

Last edited:
Innereye

Innereye

Know thy self
Jan 18, 2020
I recommend reading. Robert sapolsky's works.

Also, for those of us who live with cluster B disorders it 100% comes from trauma but there are genetic predispositions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: alienfreak, kunikuzushi and Forever Sleep
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm betting on 50/50, the cop out answer.

• Yay!
Reactions: Forever Sleep
pyx

pyx

Mage
Jun 5, 2024
intelligence to me seems extremely malleable in the earlier stages of development. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Witte. the elder Witte wrote an anecdotal account of the rigorous teaching method his son underwent, who later went on to become a then-known child genius and the youngest person to hold a doctorate, ultimately becoming a prolific scholar on Dante. interestingly enough, the elder Witte's primary work was translated by Leo Wiener, the father of another child genius who is more well-known, Norbert Wiener. from what i recall, Boris Sidis also read the book, a psychologist who is also famously known as the father of William James Sidis (the elder Sidis was close friends with William James), one of the most famous child geniuses in history

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep