J

JustSwingingTheD

Experienced
Jan 31, 2022
"Splitting (also called black-and-white thinking or all-or-nothing thinking) is the failure in a person's thinking to bring together the dichotomy of both perceived positive and negative qualities of something into a cohesive, realistic whole. It is a common defense mechanism[1] wherein the individual tends to think in extremes (e.g., an individual's actions and motivations are all good or all bad with no middle ground). This kind of dichotomous interpretation is contrasted by an acknowledgement of certain nuances known as "shades of gray" (from wikipedia)"

There seem to be many who think among these lines among the suicidal people. I guess it's an understandable form of escapism, since many of them have seen the crappier side of humanity. But since it's such classic splitting, I'm suspecting that there are at least some people suffering from BPD/NPD among them.

It's much easier to relate to animals through your pro-social feelings, since animals are below us, are most often purely objects. You smile to an another person, and that's already politics, the gears are running: "does he/she want to be my friend?" "does he/she want to f*ck me?". It can be dangerous to be nice to humans. (Pet) animals are easy targets for our love, because they are essentially our slaves. We can give them all the love WE want, and then withhold it completely when we no longer feel like giving it, and they just have to suck it up.

There really are no good arguments for the "special wickedness" of the humankind, in comparison to other species. I can't think of a one. We are simply the most intelligent->most powerful ->most capable of causing harm among animals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fellow misanthrope myself, but i just don't seem to have the need to kid myself about the innate goodness of nature/other species. Humanity is simply the fucked up spearhead of a fucked up evolution.

Reactions: Venessolotic, Alnilam, Ginnn and 1 other person
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
"Splitting (also called black-and-white thinking or all-or-nothing thinking) is the failure in a person's thinking to bring together the dichotomy of both perceived positive and negative qualities of something into a cohesive, realistic whole. It is a common defense mechanism[1] wherein the individual tends to think in extremes (e.g., an individual's actions and motivations are all good or all bad with no middle ground). This kind of dichotomous interpretation is contrasted by an acknowledgement of certain nuances known as "shades of gray" (from wikipedia)"

There seem to be many who think among these lines among the suicidal people. I guess it's an understandable form of escapism, since many of them have seen the crappier side of humanity. But since it's such classic splitting, I'm suspecting that there are at least some people suffering from BPD/NPD among them.

I don't see the truth in this statement. On the contrary, a person who insists on always seeing the good and the bad in everything could just simply be undecided or lack the knowledge to come up with a proper judgment of their situation. Even if we disagree about this particular point, though, almost everything has a net positive or net negative effect, so there's often something positive or negative about everything.

J

JustSwingingTheD

Experienced
Jan 31, 2022
I don't see the truth in this statement. On the contrary, a person who insists on always seeing the good and the bad in everything could just simply be undecided or lack the knowledge to come up with a proper judgment of their situation. Even if we disagree about this particular point, though, almost everything has a net positive or net negative effect, so there's often something positive or negative about everything.
Which statement? If you are new to splitting as a psychological phenomenon, then by all means, educate yourself about it. My post wasn't really about what splitting is or is not.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Which statement? If you are new to splitting as a psychological phenomenon, then by all means, educate yourself about it. My post wasn't really about what splitting is or is not.

The statement that I referred to is the text that I quoted. I just meant that there's not always something inherently positive about everything. In other words, I don't believe that there is always a "middle ground" that's worth caring about.

J

JustSwingingTheD

Experienced
Jan 31, 2022
The statement that I referred to is the text that I quoted. I just meant that there's not always something inherently positive about everything. In other words, I don't believe that there is always a "middle ground" that's worth caring about.
Yes i see that, and i agree.

But people who have problems with splitting (such as people with certain cluster B personality disorders), take your line of thought to the extreme. The unstable way they emotionally relate to people in close relationships gives everyone around them headaches. Them included.

An example: One day you are a sexy beast, the next day you accidentally fart in front of them and become totally revolting forever. It's like a flick of a switch, a one that they don't seem to have much conscious control over.

If you want to learn more about splitting then google knows best.

Last edited:
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Yes i see that, and i agree.

But people who have problems with splitting (such as people with certain cluster B personality disorders), take your line of thought to the extreme. The unstable way they emotionally relate to people in close relationships gives everyone around them headaches. Them included.

An example: One day you are a sexy beast, the next day you accidentally fart in front of them and become totally revolting forever. It's like a flick of a switch, a one that they don't seem to have much conscious control over.

If you want to learn more about splitting then google knows best.

This is false, because "One day you are a sexy beast" will never happen :happy:

Jokes aside, I understand your point. How do you use splitting in your life?