FlufflesAway

FlufflesAway

Jul 31, 2024
Part of my larger crusade against non-free software. Discord was valued at $15 billion. It's the users that give it any value, but get nothing but surveillance and control in return. Some reasons not to use Discord: https://stallman.org/discord.html .

My personal gripes about Discord:
-- They require linking a google account to it (I don't use google, another surveillance company).
-- They ask for mobile pone numbers to 'verify' users.
-- They train their AIs on users' chats.
-- There's no privacy on Discord.
-- The degree of surveillance is not knowable because their programs are not open source.

I propose SimpleX chat (https://simplex.chat/) as a discord alternative. No, it's not a one-to-one replacement, but it's a good technical response to wanting a distributed, secure instant chat program with voice/video capabilities and other things modern users demand. It's free libre open source software, self-hostable, and is available on the modern hosts (Windows, Apple, Linux, Android).

This thread is to share SimpleX chat groups and promote its use.

I've made a group. It's focused more on trying to recover, but suicide talk is fine.

Break free from surveillance and promote user-created user-modifiable programs!

Thanks for coming to my schizo ted-talk.

Reactions: Ethel, alienfreak and AvaCutey
sos

sos

Experienced
Jul 22, 2024
so instead of a discord rant, this is mainly an advertisement for simplex

where's the "#ad"??????

how much are you getting paid

Reactions: LifeQuitter
FlufflesAway

FlufflesAway

Jul 31, 2024

where's the "#ad"??????

No. If you want to continue using Discord you're free to do that. I'm just a floss (free libre open source software) advocate.

I guess all those other posts about discord are ads for discord?

where's the "#ad"??????

No. You're free to use discord. I know some people don't give a shit or thought about the software they use on their computers. This is one of my obsessions.

Just being autistic about my hobbies.
Matrix based severs are also a good alternative
I can't promote it. I think it's impressive, but it's technical design is too flawed and antagonistic to the ideal of privacy. It's designed to replicate chat databases too easily. It's origins with mossad have me jumpy too.

I prefer simplex because it's more similar to IRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ethel