Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
Since I was a child I have a strange habit, and I do not know any exact origin of it.

Every time I am stressed, anxious or upset, I lock myself in my room or a place where I know that no one will see me, I put on my favorite music and while the music is playing, I start walking around in circles, while I think about random things This relaxes me a lot and I don't know why.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hennessy, FuneralCry, LivideLamb and 10 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
As long as it relaxes you, keep on doing it!

I guess it's some kind of meditation for you! Nice!

• Love
Reactions: Tree frog, OblivionSeeker, LivideLamb and 5 others
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
As long as it relaxes you, keep on doing it!

I guess it's some kind of meditation for you! Nice!
I didn't see it that way. You are the first person who tells me something positive about this, taking into account that only my parents know, a stepfather I had and the partners I have had but they never told me anything about it, the only one who mentioned something to me was my stepfather and only said negative comments.

The positive side is that I have always hidden this habit quite well.

• Hugs
Reactions: LivideLamb, RedHarlequin, nopointofliving and 3 others
Jinnberg

Jinnberg

Apr 23, 2021
I
Since I was a child I have a strange habit, and I do not know any exact origin of it.

Every time I am stressed, anxious or upset, I lock myself in my room or a place where I know that no one will see me, I put on my favorite music and while the music is playing, I start walking around in circles, while I think about random things This relaxes me a lot and I don't know why.
I do something similar except I walk back and forth in a straight line. I've always thought it was weird too, but hey at least it works!

• Hugs
Reactions: LivideLamb, nopointofliving and Dead Meat
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
Yes! Finally someone who understands me!

Although I would like to know an explanation of why this happens, but I do not know where to start

• Love
Reactions: Dead Meat and Jinnberg
Jinnberg

Jinnberg

Apr 23, 2021
Yes! Finally someone who understands me!

Although I would like to know an explanation of why this happens, but I do not know where to start
I think it might be some sort of self soothing thing? I've never really looked much into the whys of it. I had a friend who did the same thing and he had ADHD (which is also something I have) so I'm thinking it might be linked with ADHD?

I'll definitely look more into it when I have the time though!

Reactions: dovistico and Dead Meat
Rustysoupcan

Rustysoupcan

I'm sensitive
May 2, 2020
I do the same! I also sing if I feel like I'll have a panic attack because it helps control my breath, or when I'm really sad because for some reason singing cheers me up.

• Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied, Dead Meat and Jinnberg
M

miulake

Mar 24, 2021
You may have MDD, Maladaptive Day Dreaming. Do you create elaborate fantasies in your head while you are walking around in circles?

letied

letied

I tried.
Apr 8, 2021
Hello! I do something similar. Although I also do it when I'm not stressed and I do it since I was a baby.
I sit on my bed and begin to rhythmically move my torso from left to right leaning on my hands. It's called body rocking, a primary motor stereotypy.

SweetDreams500

SweetDreams500

Narcissistic gay NEETcel
Apr 4, 2021
I just spaz out.

Reactions: virginiawoolf
Moose.000

Moose.000

"Everything is meaningless" ~King Solomon
Apr 10, 2021
Nothing abnormal about that. I do the same minus walking in circles. I sit and rock back and forth unconsciously. When I stop rocking i stare off into space for a minute or so, get up and move on.

DarkWolf

DarkWolf

Worthless Loser
Mar 29, 2021
I do the same expect I walk in lines. Sometimes I run instead of walk when I'm stressed and sometimes combine with SH. I do it when I feel bad but also when I feel okay. I guess its just a habit now, makes me feel better. Can't really do it anymore since no longer living alone. Is actually quite depressing.

I also daydream whilst doing it. It's called maladaptive daydreaming as others mentioned. If you have a Google there's loads about it online. I liked reading about it online made me feel less alone.

S

StarLight

Apr 17, 2021
You're not alone, I've always done the exact same thing. And when I'm doing this I've always needed to be doing something with my hands like holding and tapping on some small object, and I'll just be daydreaming and often talking to myself out loud.

Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
We've all got our own way of coping. Nothing strange about it. I lie under the covers in the dark with an eye mask on. And it's got to be under the covers or it doesn't help. Or I sit outside with my hood pulled over my head.

Reactions: JustAMatterOfTime
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
It is not that strange especially if it helps who cares. You should see me stimming. -_-

dovistico

dovistico

Jan 12, 2019
I don't know if it's a strange habit, but I, personally, do it too and almost every day! Some days I probably walk several kilometers back and forth in my room and I always listen to music while I do it.

Personally, I've been diagnosed with ADHD and when I'm not on medication (stimulants), I can't listen to music any other way. With medication, I can choose to sit or walk around when I listen to music, but especially when I have a lot of stress I prefer walking around.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That isn't that strange of a habit. Anything that can help us cope better. I like to lie in a dark room sometimes and just cut myself off from the world and pretend I am no longer living. It helps me.

Reactions: Mentalmick