thankyouforthis

thankyouforthis

Jun 13, 2022
I knew getting a roommate would be horrible because my place is so small and I already share it with my partner and our kitty.
Hence, I insisted we keep the lease short-- and thank goodness for that!
Wow. Just...wow.
Six weeks in, both he and the room he's staying in smelled so bad, every time he opened the door the entire apartment would fill with stench.

He even attracted a RAT into our place. There has not been a rat here for as long as I've lived here (aka YEARS). The cat, coupled with being on a higher floor, keep(s) them at bay. But the smell from his room was so strong that a rat founds its way from the ground floor, past the garbages in front of the building, past the first floor, past the second floor, and into ours, on 3.

Finally confronted him about it and he said it was laundry, he was very sorry, he would do it right now, did I have some detergent? I was positively giddy at the prospect of having a non-shit-smelling apartment once again. He does his laundry. The smell "leaves." Except it doesn't-- it just gets significantly better. Here we are a week later, though, and I can still tell when he's just entered or exited his bedroom because when he does and then I try to leave my own bedroom, I am immediately smacked in the face with stink. It is no longer "significantly" better; by the end of this week, it will probably be right back up to Unbearable.

What the actual fuck? I know he takes showers; does he not do so often enough? (I've only seen him go in and then heard the shower turn on twice-- and he's been here for 6 weeks...)
Is he not using soap?
Has he got food rotting in there?
I shudder to think what I will encounter when he leaves October 1, but I am so, SO grateful that I only have maybe 6ish weeks left of this. I am losing what's left of my mind.
Won't go through this again, either. Had to have a good, long talk with myself about priorities and such. If I can't keep this place without having a roommate, I'll move-- onto the street, if need be. I won't keep paying far out the ass to share space with smelly assholes. I just won't. If I have to live with smelly assholes, it ought to be for free.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: houseofleaves and GentleJerk
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Kick him out. Give him three days. Laws or not, this isn't someone renting a whole apartment. It can get (and you should make it) extremely uncomfortable for him to continue to stay there. He doesn't leave, start throwing all his shit out, his food, toiletries, etc. This is a fucking grown man who doesn't have detergent. I wash my clothes when my job sends me somewhere for a week so I don't put things that smell in my luggage.

And since your place is small, don't get another roommate. Two people and a pet is more than enough for a two bedroom place.

• Yay!
Reactions: houseofleaves and thankyouforthis
thankyouforthis

thankyouforthis

Jun 13, 2022
Kick him out. Give him three days. Laws or not, this isn't someone renting a whole apartment. It can get (and you should make it) extremely uncomfortable for him to continue to stay there. He doesn't leave, start throwing all his shit out, his food, toiletries, etc. This is a fucking grown man who doesn't have detergent. I wash my clothes when my job sends me somewhere for a week so I don't put things that smell in my luggage.

And since your place is small, don't get another roommate. Two people and a pet is more than enough for a two bedroom place.
I've thought about this but for starters, I just warned him about it once. I think I'd have to do so again, and in writing, before I can do anything like kick him out. And I don't really wanna start a war in my home, for the sake of others here...So my tentative plan is to just wait the time out but I'm also thinking if the smell doesn't get better by the end of this week I can give him that second notice in writing and then possibly get him out next week.

I know, I never wanted a roommate (here and now, that is; I've had TONS before-- as many as 7, at one point!), my partner forced me into it...Hence the talk with myself about priorities...I have to look out for myself in the end and if someone else is forcing me to live in a situation that is shitty, maybe THEY need to go, too! I would never have made this decision living on my own. In the long run, I'll probably have to leave here either way, because even after this guy leaves my partner might decide to try to get someone else in here and I'm like...No. Just, no. Enough with the strangers, the smellies. I want to be left in peace.

Reactions: houseofleaves
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I've thought about this but for starters, I just warned him about it once. I think I'd have to do so again, and in writing, before I can do anything like kick him out. And I don't really wanna start a war in my home, for the sake of others here...So my tentative plan is to just wait the time out but I'm also thinking if the smell doesn't get better by the end of this week I can give him that second notice in writing and then possibly get him out next week.

I know, I never wanted a roommate (here and now, that is; I've had TONS before-- as many as 7, at one point!), my partner forced me into it...Hence the talk with myself about priorities...I have to look out for myself in the end and if someone else is forcing me to live in a situation that is shitty, maybe THEY need to go, too! I would never have made this decision living on my own. In the long run, I'll probably have to leave here either way, because even after this guy leaves my partner might decide to try to get someone else in here and I'm like...No. Just, no. Enough with the strangers, the smellies. I want to be left in peace.
If it's money, I would 100% take a second job before I took a roommate. I'm not talking family, like letting my brother live with me. But some rando off the street - nope. Possible exception would be someone who is/was recently in the military. I worked with service men and women, and they are usually really good people. They also have their shit together and usually can afford their own place.

thankyouforthis

thankyouforthis

Jun 13, 2022
Right! So we were both supposed to work more but partner's idea for a second thing doesn't seem to be working out...I have put this forth already, though: that more work > strangers in a tiny place.

If partner's thing doesn't work out by 10/1 and they insist on getting someone else in here, I'm gonna leave. Not necessarily break up (though that would probably follow just because of distance and things), but at least find another place to live.

It would be really funny too because then partner ends up with the same amount of money-- maybe less!-- while having to live with a potentially smelly stranger instead of someone who regularly bangs them. Imagine! Bwahahaha

• Wow
Reactions: lionetta12
C

chronicallybroken

Student
Jul 16, 2022
What kind of smell is it? There are certain medical conditions that can make people smell bad. Of course, it's much more likely that he just stinks. But can't rule out a medical explanation!

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
What kind of smell is it? There are certain medical conditions that can make people smell bad. Of course, it's much more likely that he just stinks. But can't rule out a medical explanation!
It doesn't matter. It's a small place. Medical condition or not, that guy is making everyone miserable.

callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
If he is fat or sweats a lot, it should be obvious. Seeping farts and sweats through your clothes for six weeks especially if your clothes' fabric is cheap doesn't end well. Perhaps you have finally had it, if not yet you could ask him to at least find the worst clothes and put them outside the window, must be socks or underpants.

wljourney

wljourney

Waiting for the bus
Apr 2, 2022
I don't think it's inappropriate to ask him to shower more regularly (weekly at least) and to do laundry every 2 weeks.
He probably hasn't changed his sheets when he washed his clothes.
Not sure how old he is, but clearly there is a gap when it comes to hygiene.

I understand your reluctance to address this, but I think since he agreed without issues last time, he'll likely be embarrassed (again) and follow your rules.
You could point out to him that this is a small space and when you share a small space it's really important to keep things clean.

The rat being attracted to his room means he has likely rotten food in there. And that is most definitely something to address. That's a health hazard for everyone and in turn a reason to quit the rental agreement before it's up.

Maybe put it down in writing. A short list of what you expect. Otherwise he needs to leave September 1st.