guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
a couple weeks ago he was stomping around the house, mocking me when he walked past my room. He was mad I had told everyone about the way he's been treating me and that I was really close to attempting to ctb. No one had talked to me in a week, I tried some crisis lines, they basically told me to try yoga. the articles I've read say to get away from a narcissist, you need support. I assume that's especially true when you're poor and disabled during a pandemic. I kinda just decided if no one was gonna support me or interact with me, I may as well smooth things over with him. harm reduction. It's better than ctb, I guess?

so we hung out for a few days, I confronted him about some stuff, and he said he was going to bed but took his laptop with him. a couple hours later I was in the hallway and heard his video game. was kinda annoyed bc he often says he's going to bed to avoid conversations he doesn't wanna have but whatever. I dug through one of my drawers in the hallway looking for craft supplies and the sound from his video game abruptly stopped. He had clearly muted it when he heard me, I assume to hide that he lied to me about going to bed. But I could still hear him wildly tapping the controls. So not only was he lying to me, he was trying to cover it up. extra shitty.

the next day I mentioned he took his laptop when he said he was going to bed and he was like "I went straight to bed after that, I just took it into my room to have it when I woke up" I was like, ok that's a lie. He pretended to be confused, didn't know what I was talking about, couldn't even imagine what I thought he was lying about etc. I told him I heard him playing video games hours after he said he was going to bed. He insisted that was wrong, acted all offended. I was like ok so you're telling me I imagined all of that? you're just straight up gaslighting me now? He just acted like it was so horrible I didn't believe him. I was like, even if I was wrong, say I hallucinated the whole thing, you lie to me constantly, it's your fault I don't believe anything you say.

He tried to be all nice so we could hang out and I was like no, I don't wanna hang out with someone who's gaslighting me. lmk when you're ready to tell the truth. He basically hasn't spoken to me since. He went to the store, bought me some treats and put them in my cupboard. I moved them to his cupboard bc chocolate doesn't forgive gaslighting, wtf?? Then I smelled something in the hallway, he likes wine so I figured he bought some at the store and was drinking again. He's done a lot of... questionable things while drinking so I told him a long time ago I don't feel safe living with him if he's drinking.

I've been joining him in his therapy sessions for a while, so I was there yesterday. he was crying, talking about how horrible it was that he was being falsely accused, he was having such a good time with me the days prior, blah blah blah. his therapist didn't know what to do, was basically like, I wasn't there, idk what to believe. Which is valid. Then I confronted him about the wine I smelled and he denied that too. He started sobbing saying he hasn't been drinking, like poor him he's just getting falsely accused left and right. Anyways, I just peeked in his room and there's empty bottles of hard cider all over the floor. That must have been what I smelled, not wine. I hate that I have to snoop just to not feel delusional but whatever

• Wow
  • Aww..
Reactions: OutOfTheVoid, dendronize, Sparr0w and 1 other person
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
That's insane! He's definitely gaslighting you, I'm glad his therapist didn't buy into it and press you further. This seems like a distressing enough situation on its own. Honestly, next time something like this happens (I think it most certainly will) take photos to have as proof. Even just for your own sake.

I can't speak from experience as I've never been with a gaslighting partner but my ex-girlfriend's ex was a massive gaslighter. Her current one is a narcissist (btw both of these are by her own admission, not just me being salty and lying, she's said this herself) So I've seen both of those, and he seems like he's both a narcissist and a gaslighter.

I don't really have much advice to give, mainly just inputting here that I do think he's gaslighting you and you don't seem crazy from what I've read here. I hope things get better for both of you.

• Love
Reactions: OutOfTheVoid, ShotgunShell and guayabas
Pinkliquid12

Pinkliquid12

Sep 10, 2022
You seem totally broken by this overgrown child. How long as he been going to therapy and why? Is there even any point if his therapist apparently is offering such a hands-off approach? I really hope that there are actual substantial resources that you have the means to use and that there really is support for you. 'Not feeling safe' in your situation is definitely something you can bring up to a social worker.

• Love
Reactions: guayabas
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
You seem totally broken by this overgrown child. How long as he been going to therapy and why? Is there even any point if his therapist apparently is offering such a hands-off approach? I really hope that there are actual substantial resources that you have the means to use and that there really is support for you. 'Not feeling safe' in your situation is definitely something you can bring up to a social worker.
I'm really vulnerable to covid, it would significantly worsen my chronic illness/immobility. I can't afford to live alone and he's the only person I know willing to be very covid safe. he's really shitty in so many ways, but he knows this is the one thing I can't compromise on so he knows if he doesn't stick to it I'd have no reason to put up with his bullshit anymore. let's just say I "don't feel safe" in a mental health way bc he lies and gaslights?

he's been in therapy for like 2.5 years? He lied to me about why. He said when he was with his ex she was like I can't do emotional labor for you, go get a therapist. Later I found out it was bc he cheated on her, didn't like that she distanced herself from him when she found out, and then wanted her to attend to his feelings about it. When we first started dating he was always like "I'm sorry, I don't want you to have to do emotional labor for me" acting like a hurt puppy from his previous relationship. He's a huge liar and manipulator and leaves out just the right info to make him sound like the victim when ppl react to his bullshit. He's been doing the same thing with his therapist so he's just been getting validated this whole time.

I thought maybe since he gave me his therapist's contact info and was on board with me joining his sessions he was serious about unlearning his shitty behavior. Nothing's changed, but I have been sending his therapist screen shots, and I did take a pic of bottles in his room. I'm p sure his therapist is now realizing he's a complete liar. By the end of the session the therapist was just like, idk what to believe, but you have been dishonest with her in the past so just agree with her. lmao
That's insane! He's definitely gaslighting you, I'm glad his therapist didn't buy into it and press you further. This seems like a distressing enough situation on its own. Honestly, next time something like this happens (I think it most certainly will) take photos to have as proof. Even just for your own sake.

I can't speak from experience as I've never been with a gaslighting partner but my ex-girlfriend's ex was a massive gaslighter. Her current one is a narcissist (btw both of these are by her own admission, not just me being salty and lying, she's said this herself) So I've seen both of those, and he seems like he's both a narcissist and a gaslighter.

I don't really have much advice to give, mainly just inputting here that I do think he's gaslighting you and you don't seem crazy from what I've read here. I hope things get better for both of you.
thank you for your support, it's super helpful on it's own. I answered some of your questions in the reply above

Reactions: OutOfTheVoid
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That sounds like a really awful situation to be trapped in, I hope that in whatever happens you find relief from what you are going through.

• Love
Reactions: guayabas and Sparr0w
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
That sounds like a really awful situation to be trapped in, I hope that in whatever happens you find relief from what you are going through.
thank you that means a lot. I'm feeling a little more hopeful and less isolated. I have a plan to get out but it might be a year or longer before I can set everything up. I just hope I can tolerate all this bullshit in the meantime

Reactions: OutOfTheVoid
dendronize

dendronize

Mar 17, 2023
Wow wtf. If you can't leave I second the notion to get proof.
I'm really vulnerable to covid, it would significantly worsen my chronic illness/immobility. I can't afford to live alone and he's the only person I know willing to be very covid safe. he's really shitty in so many ways, but he knows this is the one thing I can't compromise on so he knows if he doesn't stick to it I'd have no reason to put up with his bullshit anymore. let's just say I "don't feel safe" in a mental health way bc he lies and gaslights?
Sounds very untrustworthy; I would definitely be worried about him pretending to be COVID safe.

Really hope you can find a way to escape your situation. Best wishes.

• Love
Reactions: OutOfTheVoid and guayabas
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
Wow wtf. If you can't leave I second the notion to get proof.

Sounds very untrustworthy; I would definitely be worried about him pretending to be COVID safe.

Really hope you can find a way to escape your situation. Best wishes.
thank you <3

I do know he's being covid safe for sure. He wears 2 n95 masks. I keep them in a drawer in my room and he often asks for new ones when they wear out. He has used masks all over his room and car. he mostly just goes to work and back during the day. he often forgets it's on and comes home still wearing it. his job requires masks too. and the majority of his socializing is video chatting. it's weird but it's the only thing I trust him about lol. He's also never gotten it even when his co-workers have. He's the only other person I know irl who's never gotten it besides me

Last edited:
Reactions: dendronize