neutralmilk

neutralmilk

Jan 12, 2024
I always heard people complain about their office jobs but I never understood why until I started one. The people are so fake and the same conversations are had every week. I am so sick of hearing people compliment people's Microsoft teams background because they have nothing else to say. I am assigned the most menial tasks such as editing peoples PowerPoints and other tasks that consist entirely of copy and pasting. I can't believe a degree is required for this because I could have done this job without even completing highschool. My brain feels like it's rotting away because this shit takes up 90% of my day. I also am not assigned enough work to fill my day so I mostly do nothing. I'm 7 months into the job and I want to quit but I know it will look better on a resume if I stay for the whole year.

Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with this. I remember working customer service and always being told if you have time to lean, you have time to clean. Now I miss that because I am doing nothing all day.

• Hugs
Reactions: Decided98, butterfly000, Nagito and 2 others
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
You can either:
1) give it your best shot without caring what other people think. Meaning you work on your ideas for process improvement, etc. There's a risk you're going to be labelled a Know-it-all, Kiss-ass and a lot of other labels, and you'll find it hard to collaborate with people in the office because gossip and impression trumps facts.
2) Start your own business. If you think you're too young, that's fine, but it's still an option.
3) treat your current job like a second job. Since you find it too easy anyway, make sure you dont ask for more tasks and just create an image that you're plodding along. take the salary, go home, keep quiet, and try to get another job doing something you want. You can get reduced salary at the other job since you're not relying on it for day to day sustenance, but this will cost you time. Less time to do things you want like chill or laze around or spend with friends.
4) adapt to them. the world is full of people who ACT busy but in reality they are overpaid, but since they are lazy they dont want to change. I mean, why put in 100% when you're paid the same amount but only clock in?

Office politics is a pain.

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Sometimes office work is great. Sometimes it is a way for psychotic managers to have captive subjects to exoeriment on. I have worked in both.

Nagito

Nagito

May 25, 2022
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, my office job is also causing me the same. I remember how badly I wanted one because sitting at a desk all day sounded like it would be great, but the constant boredom is terrible for the mind. Too much time to think while sitting still all day is something I have to mentally battle with myself to do every day. It's exhausting and depleting.

Are you able to work on other things in your down time? The feeling of progress from learning something little by little every day can alleviate it somewhat.

I also like to pull up Google Earth and zoom into the most remote spots on earth. It's distracting and comforting.

caninecomposer

caninecomposer

Unappreciated artist
Dec 18, 2023
When compared to many other kinds of work, especially ones that don't provide living wages, it could be much worse. Maybe try finding a podcast to listen to in headphones, or videos to watch while you do your tasks. Or pursue some creative endeavor when there's nothing else to do.

MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
Just make sure you're consistently "touching base" and "circling back" to management and you'll be fine. And always "reach for the low-hanging fruit".

b3170f37ae0fa6daed84b4ad0b597587218148de.gif

neutralmilk

neutralmilk

Jan 12, 2024
Just make sure you're consistently "touching base" and "circling back" to management and you'll be fine. And always "reach for the low-hanging fruit".

b3170f37ae0fa6daed84b4ad0b597587218148de.gif
noooo :'((( lol that exact gif was used in one of my teams chats

• Wow
  • Yay!
Reactions: Worndown and MatrixPrisoner
SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
Reactions: neutralmilk