Pookie

Pookie

Somebody you used to know.
Oct 18, 2020
Is this common with narccisistic parents?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WitheringAway, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, death137 and 8 others
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
I have the same problem with my narcissistic father. It was absolutely soul crushing as a child for him to never remember and to not celebrate or to ever buy a gift. He couldn't be bothered, since it wasn't about him.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, death137, The end ! and 2 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I think my bro is a narcissistic too. He also forgot about my birthday and he barely pays any attention to my life.

So, my answer to your question is: yeah, it could be!

Hugs

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, death137, The end ! and 3 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
It is common. I'm sorry you got a narcissist for a parent. Sending hugs and love.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: death137, NodusTollens, The end ! and 2 others
Pookie

Pookie

Oct 18, 2020
I have the same problem with my narcissistic father. It was absolutely soul crushing as a child for him to never remember and to not celebrate or to ever buy a gift. He couldn't be bothered, since it wasn't about him.
My father also never bought gifts. He spent the money on himself. For Christmas we sometimes got clothes instead of gifts, when clothes should be a given. We had to beg for new clothes. At least we got something I suppose. We had a roof over our heads and food to eat but other than that he was neglectful and always in an aggressive mood. It felt like we children were a burden to him.
I think my bro is a narcissistic too. He also forgot about my birthday and he barely pays any attention to my life.

So, my answer to your question is: yeah, it could be!

Hugs
Sorry you have a narcissistic brother. Do you have any kind of relationship with him? I find it impossible to have a normal relationship with narcissists.
It is common. I'm sorry you got a narcissist for a parent. Sending hugs and love.
Thank you for your kind words.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, The end ! and Chupacabra 44
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Sorry you have a narcissistic brother. Do you have any kind of relationship with him? I find it impossible to have a normal relationship with narcissists.

Well, he used to be my boss haha.
He's a cool person but too self-centered. I find it hard to communicate with him so we talk about once a month.
Fortunately he's divorced but in a new relationship. The thing, I really miss my nephew who lives with him, far away from my city. That little devil is the best.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: The end ! and Pookie
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I never remember anyone's birthday either. Is that just a narcissist thing, or...? To be fair, I also don't celebrate my own.

• Love
Reactions: WitheringAway, fedupsoul, Lmd and 1 other person
Pookie

Pookie

Oct 18, 2020
I never remember anyone's birthday either. Is that just a narcissist thing, or...? To be fair, I also don't celebrate my own.
Not necessarily a narcissist thing if you're forgetful, but this pertains more to narcissists with children. Do you have children?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The end !
Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
I don't think it's a narcissist act. Mine forget it some years and when he remember it's just a "happy birthday". I forget a lot of birthdays of important people too and it's ok. I know that special dates can be important for the meaning but to show that you care about someone you don't have to wait for a specific day of the year.

Pookie

Pookie

Oct 18, 2020
I don't think it's a narcissist act. Mine forget it some years and when he remember it's just a "happy birthday". I forget a lot of birthdays of important people too and it's ok. I know that special dates can be important for the meaning but to show that you care about someone you don't have to wait for a specific day of the year.
My father doesn't even know what age I am. And he never really cared about me or showed any interest in my life.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lmd
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Not necessarily a narcissist thing if you're forgetful, but this pertains more to narcissists with children. Do you have children?
I don't, but I notice that it's basic social expectation even outside of the family circle. You're expected to at least acknowledge people's birthdays, or they will think you're snubbing them on purpose.

Never understood the whole birthday thing overall. Seems like an oddly arbitrary thing to celebrate. It made sense in old societies where you had formal rites of passage, but not so much today.

My father doesn't even know what age I am. And he never really cared about me or showed any interest in my life.
I'd enjoy a family that doesn't try to stick its long nose into my life. I guess I'm in the minority though.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and fedupsoul
WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Hold your head high, and your middle finger higher
Dec 25, 2020
Is this common with narccisistic parents?
I'm not sure. I'm sorry that happened to you. If today's your birthday,

Happy birthday to you!
19d41038f0db417d42ede11ececeb56b

For me, things are a little... different. (N)dad NEVER forgets, such that I'd use the word 'memorious' to describe him. He'd remember the times you've been disrespectful, how you've let him down etc. down to every last detail, even after decades have passed. As he's the type to see the negative in everything, sometimes I wish he were a little more forgetful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pookie
Pookie

Pookie

Oct 18, 2020
I don't, but I notice that it's basic social expectation even outside of the family circle. You're expected to at least acknowledge people's birthdays, or they will think you're snubbing them on purpose.

Never understood the whole birthday thing overall. Seems like an oddly arbitrary thing to celebrate. It made sense in old societies where you had formal rites of passage, but not so much today.

I'd enjoy a family that doesn't try to stick its long nose into my life. I guess I'm in the minority though.
That't not the point. I don't care about my birthday, I very rarely celebrate it. It's just that I mean so little to my father that he doesn't know my birthdate. He does send birthday wishes to my cousins and his stepchildren though.

• Aww..
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and Makko
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
That't not the point. I don't care about my birthday, I very rarely celebrate it. It's just that I mean so little to my father that he doesn't know my birthdate. He does send birthday wishes to my cousins and his stepchildren though.
If he remembers other people's birthdays but not yours, then yeah. That's a snub. I understand.

Pookie

Pookie

Oct 18, 2020
I'm not sure. I'm sorry that happened to you. If today's your birthday,

Happy birthday to you!
View attachment 59023

For me, things are a little... different. (N)dad NEVER forgets, such that I'd use the word 'memorious' to describe him. He'd remember the times you've been disrespectful, how you've let him down etc. down to every last detail, even after decades have passed. As he's the type to see the negative in everything, sometimes I wish he were a little more forgetful.
It seems that some narcissists never forget the times you've slighted them. And they'll keep bringing it up and rub it in your face, reminding you what a 'bad' person you are. They never seem to forgive either. Same with anything embarrassing you've done years after the fact. They'll tell people about it right in front of you like it's some sort of party trick, watching you squirm. They get off on humiliating you.

I'm not saying your parent is like that but it's what I've observed from the narcissists and sociopaths I've known.

Oh, and thanks for the birthday wish. That's sweet of you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
Yup. Sucks. But fuck it. Happy birthday to you :) I'm glad you are here. Buy yourself your own gifts and celebrate in your own way.

• Love
Pookie

Pookie

Oct 18, 2020
Yup. Sucks. But fuck it. Happy birthday to you :) I'm glad you are here. Buy yourself your own gifts and celebrate in your own way.
Thank you, glad that special people like you are here too. x

• Love
Reactions: wordsonscreen
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
Thank you, glad that special people like you are here too. x
Me? :') thank you hehe that is so sweet!! Can you get yourself 1 amazing for your birthday?? Like I love choc milk! Its a small thing but makes me so happy

• Love
Pookie

Pookie

Oct 18, 2020
Me? :') thank you hehe that is so sweet!! Can you get yourself 1 amazing for your birthday?? Like I love choc milk! Its a small thing but makes me so happy
I love chocolate and chocolate milkshake. All things choc! How about death by chocolate? ;p

• Love
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Wish I had a narcissistic dad that knew when my deathday was and shot me in the head. Fuck society.

• Hugs
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
I love chocolate and chocolate milkshake. All things choc! How about death by chocolate? ;p
ohhh this sounds good! Am thinking of eating some choc after taking sn. Death by choc maybe? hehe

Pookie

Pookie

Oct 18, 2020
ohhh this sounds good! Am thinking of eating some choc after taking sn. Death by choc maybe? hehe
SN is apparently very salty from what I've read so choc might help disguise the taste haha.

• Love