W

Whistea

Jul 29, 2022
So today I talked to my mom and it turned out my little brother has a nail or foot fungus, something like that. I asked her if she went to the doctor with him and she said she didn't, since she read on the internet (you know it's gonna be some bullshit when she starts off like that) that you can easily get rid of it by applying vinegar, honey, coconut oil and all that other shit that probably does absolutely nothing. I asked how bad it was and apparently it's getting worse. I didn't say anything but I thought to myself "you have to be fucking shitting me".
So instead of taking him to a doc, she does those household remedies that don't do anything and potentially letting his condition get worse. Don't misunderstand, scepticism towards the healthcare industry, governments, companies and the like is a good thing. I met quite a few doctors who weren't worth shit, I get it. But Jesus Christ, at least take him there so he can look at it, diagnose what it is and prescribe some cream or whatever. Especially since she herself noticed it's getting worse. For her, honey and coconut oil always comes up, no matter what it is. This holy grail that you can supposedly apply on anything and it heals it, except it fucking doesn't.
Anyways, guess I just needed to vent for a bit. I did end up calling the doc and made an appointment for him. I really hope he will get the correct diagnosis and treatment there. I don't care much about anyone or anything. I myself have physical and mental illnesses I don't seek treatment for. But I have a soft spot for my little brother, even though he's annoying at times.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: rationaltake, Looking, OpheliasFlowers and 4 others
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
I have some permanent scars from family related stuff too.

WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
This sounds like how I used to approach every health issue back when Obamacare wasn't a thing yet and I got kicked off my parents insurance when I moved out at 19. I'd just look up some natural bullshit online and hope for the best, most of the time it wouldn't work.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It sounds so frustrating having to deal with someone like that, I definitely think that you did the best thing making that appointment.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere and Suicidebydeath
Looking

Looking

Looking for the answer.
Jan 16, 2023
Honestly, it was nice of you to make that appointment even if your relationship with your sibling is a bit complicated at times. My family is like that, too. Drives me a bit bonkers sometimes. Some of them will be on this life-saving medication and then will cut it off cold turkey and try something they saw it online. It always makes my jaw drop to the floor in disbelief. Of course, they almost always get hospitalized for it, but I have to say at least nobody has died yet. (As, obviously, they don't have a desire to die - so I'm glad they didn't exit accidentally before they were ready to.)

Reactions: rationaltake