HyenaRadio

HyenaRadio

Very troubled
Apr 5, 2023
I don't really know the point of this thread but it's just something I felt the need to talk about. I'm not necessarily in recovery but I'm getting there and I believe that being in alternate subcultures is a major part of it. I was sewing together an outfit to wear to local shows and was thinking about how excited I am. Then I started thinking more about how great stuff like that really is and how amazing it is that I'm looking forward to anything at all!

I've been going to goth nights at a local clubs and partying like that really sets my soul free. I love socializing at places like that, the people there are some of the kindest people you'll ever meet. Going to small local venues to support local artists makes me feel like I'm contributing to a community. I get a rush when I see flyers around my city for shows/events that I can drag my friends to. There's also a huge amount of self care with spending so much time on my appearance before I go out, I never spend time on myself otherwise. It also helps that the music is amazing! The sound blocks out everything in the best kind of way and the lyrics are so relatable to my struggles. I feel less alone when I listen to goth music. I feel seen in a disordered world when I listen to punk music. I feel more connected to my emotions when I listen to metal music. Dancing at goth clubs and moshing at shows are my healthiest physical outlets by far.

My love for those communities knows no bounds! Thank you for letting me ramble on about this lol. Let me know if there's a community, subculture, or really anything that makes you feel like this!

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: chocolatebar, Ultracheese, Myforevercharlie and 9 others
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
This brought back some really great memories. It's been a really long time since I went to a proper goth night or anything like that. Metal gigs were a lot more common for me, and it was always a good time. Hanging out with friends, drinking cheap beer, banging our heads to all the weird tunes that the local metal bands would come up with. Sadly, those scenes are as good as death around here. The goth scene vanished over a decade ago, and what was left of the metal scene seems to have died with the lockdowns and the dwindling number of venues that are willing to host.

That was a bit of a downer, wasn't it? But hey, I'm glad those scenes are still alive and kicking elsewhere, and people are still having fun! It's a great way to get out of the house, meet like-minded people, listen to good music. Enjoy it!

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Valky, Lost in a Dream, HyenaRadio and 1 other person
HyenaRadio

HyenaRadio

Very troubled
Apr 5, 2023
This brought back some really great memories. It's been a really long time since I went to a proper goth night or anything like that. Metal gigs were a lot more common for me, and it was always a good time. Hanging out with friends, drinking cheap beer, banging our heads to all the weird tunes that the local metal bands would come up with. Sadly, those scenes are as good as death around here. The goth scene vanished over a decade ago, and what was left of the metal scene seems to have died with the lockdowns and the dwindling number of venues that are willing to host.

That was a bit of a downer, wasn't it? But hey, I'm glad those scenes are still alive and kicking elsewhere, and people are still having fun! It's a great way to get out of the house, meet like-minded people, listen to good music. Enjoy it!
I'm very lucky that there's still a scene where I live. I'm so sorry to hear that it's vanished where you're at. I know it's still a very real possibility that my scene could vanish too, this week we actually lost a very popular and long standing venue due to new ownership. I'm hoping that with all this new interest in alternative subcultures in popular media maybe some of it can come back! I know that's very wishful thinking though.

Also love your username, that's a great album!

tessa__mocha

tessa__mocha

I <3 grey skies
Feb 1, 2023
I love my local punk scene too, good reason to keep fighting 🖤 going to a cool show tonight ^-^

Reactions: Lost in a Dream and HyenaRadio
HyenaRadio

HyenaRadio

Very troubled
Apr 5, 2023
I love my local punk scene too, good reason to keep fighting 🖤 going to a cool show tonight ^-^
That so awesome! I'm glad that music and a community can be so power that it lets us keep fighting. Have enough fun at the show for both of us lol

• Love
Reactions: tessa__mocha
sunshiningbackwards

sunshiningbackwards

Sep 17, 2022
I miss when I had time for this kind of stuff. Now in my late 20s, with covid having robbed us all of so much social interaction (as well as being in school full-time) I'm basically socially retarded now and cannot talk to/approach random people at shows or bars anymore. even just thinking about it now fills me with dread.

Veronica Sawyer

Veronica Sawyer

Feb 22, 2023
That's awesome! I've been trying to see if I can find the alt scene local to me, I know there are basement shows and stuff but I can never seem to find information on when and where stuff is happening because I don't really have any local friends. Do you have any tips on how to get into stuff like that?

HyenaRadio

HyenaRadio

Very troubled
Apr 5, 2023
I always look for poster and flyers. Last show I went to was at a pretty popular local venue and flyers for a smaller show literally rained on me from the top floor lol. Also look online to see if any bars near you have a goth night. They'll often have their own facebook dedicated for it. There's 2 near me that I go to all the time and without fail there has been someone handing out info for a show or another venue. Then when you start networking and meeting friends they'll start showing you more!

thirdrailer

thirdrailer

Oct 24, 2020
I'm not into the goth scene or metal music but was invited by a friend to attend a goth con and it was absolutely amazing and affirming. It's truly wonderful.

Reactions: HyenaRadio
I

iwantdeath6969

Oct 17, 2022
i go to punk shows in my local diy scene and i feel the same way. it's so awesome to go to shows and mosh and listen to really sick music and everything

Undertow Mermaid

Undertow Mermaid

Human Centipede is a tour de force
Feb 5, 2023
I live in a really rural conservative place, so I haven't had any luck finding any alt scenes anywhere. I would love to though feels really lonely at times.

kunikuzushi

kunikuzushi

sause
Jan 24, 2023
hell yea metal music might be the only reason I'm still alive today. agree with you how it makes me feel connected to my emotions. and for me, it's a feeling that strangely makes me not want to be done with the world yet. that and the fact that seeing my favorite bands live is truly an otherworldly experience that I don't wanna let go of

Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020

Almost exactly the same goes for me..

I miss those days, it all seemed so easy then. Goth/ metal gigs, parties , extremely uncomfortable latex clothing when it was 30° out. :) But I guess that's how life goes, people change, start a family, move away. From the very tight group of friends then I only see one person maybe twice a year.

But I'm so grateful to have had those days, the memories are worth so much ( to me)

I understand the OP, feeling like you belong, that there are people who care, enjoying things together can definitely save lives ❤️

N

never mind me

Student
Nov 7, 2022
I was very much into the goth scene from 18 to 20 or so and really loved it. I overcame my shyness by connecting with the people there and I made many amazing friends. Later I didn't go to as many goth outings anymore, because I started taking drugs and preferred to hang out with people who also take drugs. But I still listen to goth music sometimes and next week I will go to a goth rock conert with a friend of mine for the first time in years. I'm really looking forward to it:)

• Hugs
Reactions: Myforevercharlie and HyenaRadio