qualityOV3Rquantity

qualityOV3Rquantity

Student
Jul 27, 2024
I have a chronic illness that has the potential to destroy your life - doctor's words. Right now I'm surprisingly doing alright mentally, but it's because my illness has subsided a bit. I have it more under control and I can still function, although with a lot of pain.

But I've read a lot online about how this illness can get worse with age. I'm 24 now, who's to say that it won't be unbearable when I'm 30, 40, 60? It makes me not even want to try to improve mentally. Because if I stay miserable and hopeless, it will be easier to kill myself if the pain becomes unbearable. But if I 'recover' mentally now, then the pain gets worse later, it will mean months, maybe years more of suffering. Because I'll have to wait until the disease erodes away every shred of happiness that I had spent years building. Fuck, why not just do it now? I hate being alive, IBS is a fucking curse.

• Hugs
Reactions: EvisceratedJester and inkthirsty
needthebus

needthebus

Student
Apr 29, 2024
I have a chronic illness that has the potential to destroy your life - doctor's words. Right now I'm surprisingly doing alright mentally, but it's because my illness has subsided a bit. I have it more under control and I can still function, although with a lot of pain.

But I've read a lot online about how this illness can get worse with age. I'm 24 now, who's to say that it won't be unbearable when I'm 30, 40, 60? It makes me not even want to try to improve mentally. Because if I stay miserable and hopeless, it will be easier to kill myself if the pain becomes unbearable. But if I 'recover' mentally now, then the pain gets worse later, it will mean months, maybe years more of suffering. Because I'll have to wait until the disease erodes away every shred of happiness that I had spent years building. Fuck, why not just do it now? I hate being alive, IBS is a fucking curse.
it's a valid concern

but technology is evolving really rapidly

there's just as equally likely to be a cure in 20 years

look at diabetes due to weight gain and now there's ozempic available for some and they just seem to lose weight

but i get what you are saying because if you try to be happy and then things get more painful and awful, the attachment to the world will make death harder, and it could be you will endure more pain and die anyway

do you have a really bad case of IBS? what is your economic situation? Are you able to exist without working or is there financial hardship?

I don't hear a lot about people committing suicide over IBS, but I could be ignorant. Perhaps you'll be fine?

What is so bad about it? Misery loves company, most people here also feel horrible and you can be miserable here if you want. No one will try to make you happy usually. You can just exist here, happy or sad or really sad, and then perhaps one day not exist if you want, either because you get better or don't. It's why I like this place, despite everyone here being sad often, there's no pressure to be happy here or seem happy. You can feel awful here.

Reactions: Unbolted0605 and StandardOtter
qualityOV3Rquantity

qualityOV3Rquantity

Student
Jul 27, 2024
do you have a really bad case of IBS? what is your economic situation? Are you able to exist without working or is there financial hardship?
Three answers:
1. No, my IBS is actually on the more mild side. But I have it on top of (and perhaps because) of fairly severe depression.
2. My economic situation is stable thankfully, I'm from a upper middle-class family.
3. Well, I could exist without working and not starve, but frankly I don't want to live if I can't work. I couldn't live with myself, no offense to disabled people who totally can't work.

U

Unbolted0605

Aug 28, 2024
I think you kind of have to trust your future-self to make their own decisions.

If your future-self is able to live with what's happening, presumably there will be reasons for that, and if someone said to them 'nope, I've decided your life isn't worth living' and tried to kill them, they'd be annoyed. This is essentially what you're proposing to do by ending things now. I don't think it's necessary. IBS won't prevent you from ctb in the future if things get bad enough, there's no need to rush and do it now. And like the other poster said, the chance of an eventual cure is quite high.

You might (might) not be able to work away from home, but working from home is a thing, it's possible to make a life.

Wishing you luck OP.

• Love
Reactions: qualityOV3Rquantity
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021

Wht treatmnts hve u bn tryng

Thre r treatmnts whch fcus on nervs systm healng whch hve bn showng promse fr IBS & cld ptentlly impct ur deprssn also

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That sounds really dreadful to me, I just find it so cruel how there's all this suffering with there being no limit as to how unbearable this existence can get. But anyway I wish you the best.