M

MusashiX

Jan 27, 2022
Does anyone else have their suicidal ideation halted by videogames? I often feel better when i play a good video game.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: 710, Al_stargate, stevieu and 15 others
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I can relate it is part of my escapism.

• Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, waitingforrest, Élégie and 4 others
toseeyousmile

toseeyousmile

Nov 23, 2020
Honestly same, if it weren't for games I'm looking forward to playing and my friends I would be way worse off. And yeah, the escapism part is also a big thing for me as well.

All Things Must Pass

All Things Must Pass

Mage
Apr 14, 2021
Be sure to take a break often to prevent retinal detachment.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
It used to be, somewhat. Now I have carpal tunnel. The backs of my hands burn when I input anything over a long period. Now I'm stuck watching YT videos until my eyestrain or migraines act up.

• Hugs
Reactions: TerminalConscience, Fragile and demuic
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
Any activity that puts us into a flow state is a pleasant distraction. We feel in harmony and balanced as a result. I wish there were more available things for people to lose themselves into but this is one of the perks of video gaming as it helps some people who gravitate towards that types of activity to immerse themselves and get a break from the chaos of real life and our thoughts that destabilize us often. Of course it is not perfect as some people use this type of activity to detach completely from the real world which causes great imbalance when the activity is stopped similar to hung over or drug come down. Some people enter the same state through engaging in creative endeavors, reading a book, praying or through their faith & spiritual beliefs that reassures them that this life is although seems mundane and meaningless yet there is a bigger picture type of purpose for everything even if they can not justify it or comprehend why it is the way it is at the time, yet by their spirituality they can enter a state of flow and feel better about themselves and the world as a result

Reactions: meetapple, Ringo and demuic
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
These days I've been playing video games a looot and it really helped me with the dread and disgust I have for living + isolation.

• Hugs
Reactions: TerminalConscience, Ringo and Nightmare Painting
Sanva

Sanva

:/
Dec 10, 2021
they're a good distraction, I was so happy when I finally got my gaming pc. lately I haven't really had the energy to play anything but I used to really enjoy it. especially games where you're really immersed in the story and you just forget everything around you. i miss that.

• Hugs
Reactions: Conker, LastFlowers, PreussenBlueJay and 1 other person
N

Nightmare Painting

Student
Dec 16, 2021
It used to be, somewhat. Now I have carpal tunnel. The backs of my hands burn when I input anything over a long period. Now I'm stuck watching YT videos until my eyestrain or migraines act up.
Same for me. I was going to end it all about 2 years ago but various things kept me here longer so I escaped heavily into video games again which gave me carpal tunnel but I'm sure that was a long time coming anyways. I stick to watching TV now too because my hands and wrists hurt. Even browsing has become a completely painful chore.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers and Angst Filled Fuck Up
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Yep, any activity that abstracts me enough has that effect, although with video games it happens more, it's easier for me to concentrate when playing than when I read or watch a series, I consider videogames a means of escapism in my situation, ironically It causes me a bit of stress the idea of not being able to complete all the games I was able to buy recently before the date I set for my suicide, I don't want to leave without enjoying them hahaha. When I finish my homework I should start farming parts of Rathalos, that armor looks gorgeous~.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers and PreussenBlueJay
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Yes - to an extent. I am currently playing through Fallout 76 among some other video games. It gives me a small break from this reality.

Squalo

Squalo

A Fatal Mistake
Jan 14, 2021
I have an Xbox Series S with some open world games: The Witcher III, Red Dead Redemption 2, Skyrim, and I'm looking forward to Elden Ring;
video games are among the main ways I try to distract myself from suicide, they allow me to live many different lives, better than mine.

• Hugs
Reactions: Fragile, TerminalConscience, LastFlowers and 1 other person
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
Yes, I don't really feel happier when I play, but I don't think about suicide. That's why I've been playing an unhealthy amount lately, starting immediately after school and stopping at midnight. It gives me small amounts of excitement, but that's still more than anything else.

• Hugs
Reactions: Fragile
L

lonerclown666

Mage
Dec 1, 2020
I want a PC gaming but they are expensive for me even consoles are expensives for me right now i dont want a PC Gaming because i will not CTB if i get one

Live Free or Die

Live Free or Die

A wise man can always be found alone.
Jan 12, 2022
Yes - to an extent. I am currently playing through Fallout 76 among some other video games. It gives me a small break from this reality.

I saw this game on sale for 10$ on steam, or 20$ with the addons. Would you recommend it? I did play Fallout 4 a long time ago and enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
SNES for me even though computers make me want to die. Weird I know

Reactions: Julgran
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
I saw this game on sale for 10$ on steam, or 20$ with the addons. Would you recommend it? I did play Fallout 4 a long time ago and enjoyed it.

I would say if you enjoyed fallout 4 then yes it's a good pick up for 10 dollars. (there are no gameplay add-ons; they are cosmetic except for a few store items that you don't need)

And it's ok to put the game down after you've finished the story and explored the map, don't treat it like an MMO like so many people do and you're golden.

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
they're a good distraction, I was so happy when I finally got my gaming pc. lately I haven't really had the energy to play anything but I used to really enjoy it. especially games where you're really immersed in the story and you just forget everything around you. i miss that.
I use them as a distraction but idk that I can say I truly enjoy anything, even the things I otherwise would have if my circumstances were different.
This leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when engaging in activities I know I cannot lean into the way others can, plus things like video games are not exactly passive, so it takes some energy to perform.
And I'm exhausted.
It's sort of like eating a piece of cake that is made out of cardboard, there is a faint memory or wishful thought about what the taste could be, what joy it could bring by the looks of it, but then you bite down and it's just nothing really, tough to chew and swallow, just something to pass the time-a tiny 'part' that alerts you of the 'whole' which you're missing out on, reminded of a taste for something that will never be in your reach.
It all feels like an empty promise, even something as simple as a video game.

• Hugs
Reactions: Conker, miserableforever, Sanva and 1 other person
M

MusashiX

Jan 27, 2022
Im getting a Razer Blade 15 with a RTX 3080. Been saving. Costing me $3,300 USD. Plan on modding the hell out of fallout 4. Hopefully this keeps me sane awhile longer. Afraid my stupid menieres disease will take this joy away from me eventually.

• Hugs
Reactions: miserableforever and Sanva
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Nowadays, I feel pacified by video games, rather than feeling joy. If they didn't exist, I might have ended my life sooner, but having said that, I still think that they don't give me a life purpose or meaning, so I don't find much interest in them any longer - it's a strange paradox...

• Hugs
Reactions: TerminalConscience and Manaaja
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
I got a gayming laptop to replace my 2013 laptop that I was using for school.

I was excited to have modern hardware that could run high detail games. But then I ended up playing lots of low graphics games because I have little interest in high end games.

I think it helps keep me occupied and adds meaning to my life. I'm too lazy to do anything else.

Live Free or Die

Live Free or Die

Jan 12, 2022
I've just started feeling well enough to get back into gaming. I reactivated my Elder Scrolls Online account and just bought Fall Out 76 (was 10$ on steam).

I really wanted to get Dying Light 2, but I know better than to buy a new game on day 1 after the Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco 🤣.

Reactions: miserableforever
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
Can you play mobile games that just use the touchscreen, or is that uncomfortable as well?

• Aww..
Reactions: OrcWitch, Angst Filled Fuck Up and miserableforever
miserableforever

miserableforever

Arcanist
Oct 23, 2020
I've just started feeling well enough to get back into gaming. I reactivated my Elder Scrolls Online account and just bought Fall Out 76 (was 10$ on steam).

I really wanted to get Dying Light 2, but I know better than to buy a new game on day 1 after the Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco 🤣.
Elder Scrolls Online, I'm a no-lifer CP 1800, if you need a carry or mats lol.
Preordered Dying Light 2 a long time ago. Too late for regrets😁

Live Free or Die

Live Free or Die

Jan 12, 2022
Elder Scrolls Online, I'm a no-lifer CP 1800, if you need a carry or mats lol.
Are you NA or EU? I'm mostly a casual. I'm trying to complete the entire map and buy all the houses.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Can you play mobile games that just use the touchscreen, or is that uncomfortable as well?
I never really liked mobile games, they're not immersive or difficult enough for me. But I guess technically I could play on a touchscreen. They just never felt very fun to me.

Live Free or Die

Live Free or Die

Jan 12, 2022
I never really liked mobile games, they're not immersive or difficult enough for me. But I guess technically I could play on a touchscreen. They just never felt very fun to me.
If you're into competitive play there's a few full retail strategy/card games on mobile like Teamfight Tactics, Magic The Gathering: Arena, or Hearthstone.

I enjoyed those kinds of games in the past, but now I'm in my late 30s and play games to relax instead. Looking for that peace instead of anger 😊

I enjoy the chess.com Chess app (I don't play other people but it has a puzzle mode and I like the daily chess puzzles) and yahtzee with friends (just the name, have no friends lol) on my phone.

Reactions: Anxieyote and Angst Filled Fuck Up
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I have a gaming laptop, and yes it has provided me with countless hours of entertainment and distraction. Sometimes, I am so engaged I forget I am suicidal lol. But, 'distraction' is the key word. I am still utterly miserable.