S

SMG08ABUSER

I got no iPhone
Dec 20, 2023
Going to talk to a therapist tomorrow morning. It's the first time I've ever spoken directly with a medical professional about my depression and my loneliness. A little nervous about it, not gonna lie. The good thing is that it's completely covered by my employer and I don't have to pay anything out of pocket.

Definitely need to keep this a secret from my family though, since I still live with my parents. Unfortunately my parents aren't really the type to take mental health seriously and it would be very embarrassing for me personally if any of my siblings found out I was seeking therapy.

Has therapy ever helped any of you? Would love to read about your thoughts and experiences with therapy.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Adûnâi, Praestat_Mori, a.fool and 2 others
J

Juli

Jan 27, 2024
Good luck for tomorrow! Personally, I've never been in therapy long enough to write an honest review, but hopefully someone else can!

R

Redacted24

Might be Richard Cory... or not
Nov 20, 2023
I've done therapy on and off since I was a child. Sometimes it's kind of a waste of time, but sometimes it makes all the difference.
It does take time to develop a rapport with the therapist though. You both should be comfortable with each other for things to really click. My best therapist and I took probably eight sessions before going didn't seem like a trip to the dentist for me, and I was able to engage in the meeting.

Be patient with them, and with you, especially in the first few meetings. If you keep going and aren't getting what you hoped, it's okay to let them know you are looking to change.

My best therapist really helped me look at things in a better way. I didn't really see it until after... years after. But what they told me, stuck.

I'm still working to manage things... but still trying. Good luck, hope it went well. :heart:

S

SMG08ABUSER

I got no iPhone
Dec 20, 2023
I've done therapy on and off since I was a child. Sometimes it's kind of a waste of time, but sometimes it makes all the difference.
It does take time to develop a rapport with the therapist though. You both should be comfortable with each other for things to really click. My best therapist and I took probably eight sessions before going didn't seem like a trip to the dentist for me, and I was able to engage in the meeting.

Be patient with them, and with you, especially in the first few meetings. If you keep going and aren't getting what you hoped, it's okay to let them know you are looking to change.

My best therapist really helped me look at things in a better way. I didn't really see it until after... years after. But what they told me, stuck.

I'm still working to manage things... but still trying. Good luck, hope it went well. :heart:
The session went pretty well. My therapist was very understanding and empathetic about my situation. After hearing many stories about others who had absolutely horrible experiences with therapy, I feel like I really lucked out. I felt really awkward at first since I never really shared my negative thoughts with anyone in person for a very long time.

It felt nice just to be able to actually speak to someone beyond an internet forum. I hope these good feelings will continue as I talk more with my therapist. The only downside is that I have a limited number of sessions with my employer's benefits before the service starts charging me. Once those free sessions are through with, I unfortunately won't be able to afford any further therapy sessions for a while. I pretty much make minimum wage at my job, but I am enrolling back in school to finish my bachelor's and hopefully start making enough money to save up and move out of my parents' place. If I am able to do so, that's where the real road to recovery will begin. Thankfully, my college tuition is also fully covered by my employer as well.

I have a very long road ahead of me on the path to recovery, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't extremely scared of what the future might hold for me.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, a.fool and Redacted24
A

a.fool

Student
Jun 27, 2023
The session went pretty well. My therapist was very understanding and empathetic about my situation. After hearing many stories about others who had absolutely horrible experiences with therapy, I feel like I really lucked out. I felt really awkward at first since I never really shared my negative thoughts with anyone in person for a very long time.

It felt nice just to be able to actually speak to someone beyond an internet forum. I hope these good feelings will continue as I talk more with my therapist. The only downside is that I have a limited number of sessions with my employer's benefits before the service starts charging me. Once those free sessions are through with, I unfortunately won't be able to afford any further therapy sessions for a while. I pretty much make minimum wage at my job, but I am enrolling back in school to finish my bachelor's and hopefully start making enough money to save up and move out of my parents' place. If I am able to do so, that's where the real road to recovery will begin. Thankfully, my college tuition is also fully covered by my employer as well.

I have a very long road ahead of me on the path to recovery, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't extremely scared of what the future might hold for me.
I feel so happy for you. I hope good things happen to you and you actually recover fast. I hope you get things that you want in life.
Take care.
I feel like I shouldn't take another session though as I've started to get thoughts that I don't deserve actually get better.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I'm glad you have found a good therapist! Good luck!!:heart: