BasqueClown

BasqueClown

Zirkua ata heriotza
Jun 9, 2022
This post is aim to creators of community, from illustrators, writers, composers, musicians, actors/actress etc.

I don't believe in inspiration. I don't believe in Muses. If I expand this theory I'll write a book called "I killed the Muses: How overcome the mist of inspiration and comprehend the mental processes of creativity".
So, stop chitchat, Basque.
My premise is: Every ouvre starts with a first impulse. It could be initiated by the common flying of a butterfly front of you, or ha ve this Bingo sensation during a good sex, or resolve your plot holes when you are in the subway or bus to home.
I heard somewhere that the author of "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Read this title as a graffiti in a bathroom. Gabriel García Márquez thinked once called his magnum opus "The house", instead of "One Hundred Years of Solitude", who, by the way, since he told at "El olor de la Guayaba" (I don't know if it's translated to English), he figured how to do it at the road to a vacation trip to Acapulco... García Márquez make the return, sold the car and confined to write this now literature classic.
See, creativity is still a brain process or a series of process. It could apply to any area of life, but I focus on the traditional arts. The creativity block is determined to how you unpuzzle that idea in your head, and canalize into the right path. If you are frustrated - As I was - to not see any advance in your drawing skills, maybe you will be a good comic strip writer, and find a illustrator who synergies with your vision. Or maybe are you stuck in writing that Play, but perhaps your potential is in acting, or scenario design. This activity is totally valid and also important.
But instead of dreaming about that imaginary work who brings you an ethereal fame in your head, figure it out your first impulses in your creative processes. Like me, I had the idea of making this post when I stand up to see what the fuck is going on with the meal I'm cooking.
The white sheet doesn't bite. The guitar chords will not call you a loser. See advice, or lessons, of DIY with YouTube tutorials. Make proud of yourself.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ultracheese, kitch, Jarni and 2 others
Grayfield

Grayfield

Student
Feb 13, 2023
I think I get it. But wouldn't this approach start a process where at the first roadblock you take a detour and probably another, and windup convincing yourself you're not good at anything? I say this from experience. I have gone from drawing to sculpture to printmaking and then back. And although I've gained skills, I'm rarely satisfied with the results.

Reactions: Ultracheese
Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
Thank you so much for this post. I've really been struggling with writer's block and this was really helpful for me.

B

Bardo

Arcanist
Jan 25, 2023
Thank you so much for this post. I've really been struggling with writer's block and this was really helpful for me.
I suggest searching internetarchive dot org/ IMPRO Keith Johnstone was head of the Royal Court Theatre's Writers' Program wherein he developed these wonderfully helpful exercises and theories. It is one of the bibles of improvisational theatre as well.