vaulthunter

vaulthunter

poyo?
Mar 19, 2019
hi all,

over my time on this site i've only actually gotten to know a few of you, but i've come to care for each and every one of you. every post, every goodbye thread...i did my best to let those ready to catch the bus know that the ride into the sunset would be as peaceful as they hoped. but now, my participation here is coming to an end.

i know there was no need to write this, that nobody probably cares, but after having my first session with my therapist since february (when i created this account), i have had an epiphany.

i went into her office, knowing i had a lot to get off of my chest. i was even shaking a little knowing the gravity of what i was going in for. as she asks me what i would like to speak about, i ask her carefully:

"do you know what euthanasia is?"

she gives me the widest look, and then proceeds to tell me yes. i tell her during my last semester at school (i just finished my sophomore year of college), i had taken up the cause of euthanasia. i had become obsessed with it. i detailed how i watched documentary after documentary about final exit, about the blue house in the Netherlands, about neumbutal, about everything. everything. none of what i was saying was illegal (how could it be? i was describing official organization) and none of it was about SS. not yet, at least.

before i continue, i want to state that i NEVER, EVER once uttered the words "sanctionedsuicide", "ashspace", or any specifics about this site. i was intentionally vague knowing the gravity of my words in the space i was in, and the identities of everyone on this site (which i have no right to expose), regardless of my therapist's incredible stance on euthanasia, which i'll speak about now.

my therapist tells me that yes, she knew what euthanasia was. she then tells me she is a staunch supporter of it. she mentions the hemlock society, kevorkian, final exit...i am astounded. COMPLETELY blown away. she offhandedly mentions she spent time in jail related to it, but very very quickly brushed it off and continued. and with the way she reiterated that she understands how i could feel like i needed a site like SS, i have reason to suspect she spent some time participating in the field, which gives me crazy respect and adoration for her. i'll have to do more research on that!

this is the part that really moved me to make this post. after she told me all that, i realized that this was a safe space. i tell her.

i tell her that in february, i got so depressed, i started planning my suicide. that i stumbled upon a website, and that it would aid me in planning my suicide. i tell her all the typical methods i went through, i tell her about telling fellow members (mentioning no names or any specifics) goodbye and to have safe journeys. i tell her everything. and all through this im under the guise of prefacing my sentence with "i've deleted my account, but please don't report me" (i obviously haven't yet), and she repeatedly reassures me that she would never. she says that im obviously in a better place now that i'm ready to talk about this, and what happened to me. i agree.

as we keep talking about other things, i think. i bring it up again. she talks me through it—"how does talking about this experience make you feel?" and while i was thinking before, this was the first time i actually got to reflect on everything i'd said, everything i'd done. and there was a lot.

in that moment i realized that this...this site is not euthanasia. at least any methods other than neumbutal.

that this site is acronyms and violent death, and that is okay! i am not here to bash anyones methods or this site at all. i fervently believe that everyone has their own choice. but my preferred method (hydrogen sulfide), and hanging, and guns, and whatever other gory method isn't euthanasia. it isn't final exit, or kevorkian, or the blue house in the netherlands.

i had gotten so obsessed with 'reliable methods', or methods i knew would kill me fast, or where i wouldn't have to feel too much pain that i forgot everything i had spent so much time watching. i forgot that the peaceful death is not what i was planning. i forgot what literally everything the peaceful pill handbook is meant to stop: senseless impulsive suicides that cause you pain or actually harm other people.

my consensus in my therapist's room was that sanctionedsuicide wasn't euthanasia. and its not.

the euthanasia movement is campaigning for doctor assisted death, for those who physically suffer. those who have absolutely zero chance of getting better and do nit want to die of pain and disease. not for depression.

i'm sorry to say it, but depression is treatable. im not advocating for therapy or medicine or recovery at all, but depression is treatable—its simply a fact. and its treatable with so many different ways. euthanasia will never, ever be allowed for depression. its just not realistic.

its how i realized that sanctionedsuicide does not equal euthanasia, and that is okay! i love the idea of this site. i love that we are allowed to be free and express ourselves, and power to everyone for expressing themselves as they feel fits for them. but this isn't me.
i can't express myself this way anymore. it's unhealthy, and i (personally, please no one feel like im promoting recovery) have decided to heal. for the first time in half a year i have hope. and its life-changing.

thank you everyone for always being so supportive. you are all truly amazing in your own special way, even if you don't believe me. if you think no one is thinking about you, that no one loves you, or no one cares, please remember: i do. i will always be thinking of you all, and i hope you all find the peace you are seeking, in whatever way you yourself want it —be it death or recovery.

thank you for reading if you made it down here. i'm truly thankful.

much love to you all,

vaulthunter

p.s. i also told my therapist about how while watching a show the day before, i heard one character say a line that completely stopped me in my tracks.

"sometimes, the only way out of hell is through."

and its so true...sometimes, going through hell is the answer. and thats exactly what it took for me to wake up and realize. the show is "the act" on hulu.

love to you all :hug:

Last edited:
  • Hmph!
  • Hugs
Reactions: Tomoko, overandout, Ἡγησίας and 9 others
F

Fadingfast

Come in peace, go in peace
May 9, 2019
Wow.... I feel a lot less safe on this site now.

Reactions: so tired or manic, not-2-b-the-answer, dhk96 and 1 other person
sunny.sativa

sunny.sativa

organic
Apr 2, 2019
This is wonderful!!! This is so great, friend, I'm so happy you've found hope and motivation in recovery. Everyone deserves this and you sure had it coming.
I concur with everything you said. I love it.
You know, in all honesty, I've been forcing recovery upon myself. I stay here on SS to try and support others, I suppose, or.. I guess I've made a couple of friends, y'know? People I've come to really appreciate. Also, I guess I enjoy reading all this morbid shit that I can't seem to fully let go of. "Just in case" or whatever. Haven't COMMITTED to lasting hope, but I sure want to. I'm taking very small steps toward your courageous position.

Thank you for this post. I wish you.. just everything good. Everything pure and exciting and man, go LIVE, and enjoy it. With love.

xx
this is seriously all you have to say...?

• Hugs
Reactions: soda_pressed and vaulthunter
vaulthunter

vaulthunter

poyo?
Mar 19, 2019
there are several forums like this site. i know because ive been on them. i intentionally spoke with absolutely NO specificity, as i knew that would be everyone's first reaction. and i know my therapist very well. she won't do anything.
This is wonderful!!! This is so great, friend, I'm so happy you've found hope and motivation in recovery. Everyone deserves this and you sure had it coming.
You know, in all honesty, I've been forcing recovery upon myself. I stay here on SS to try and support others, I suppose, or.. I guess I've made a couple of friends, y'know? People I've come to really appreciate. Also, I guess I enjoy reading all this morbid shit that I can't seem to fully let go of. "Just in case" or whatever. Haven't COMMITTED to lasting hope, but I sure want to. I'm taking very small steps toward your courageous position.

Thank you for this post. I wish you.. just everything good. Everything pure and exciting and man, go LIVE, and enjoy it. With love.

xx

so much love to you! if hope is what you want, i hope it finds you (haha see what i did there?) i too understand that morbid feeling! it'll creep back up, and we even talked about it: "what will happen if you feel a tiny feeling to go back on?" and i was honest. "i don't know. but for right now, i'm committed to myself."

you'll know when you have found true hope the same way you believe you'll know when its time to "go". i believe in you <3

Last edited:
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
  • Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Ἡγησίας, dhk96 and 1 other person
F

Fadingfast

May 9, 2019
there are several forums like this site. i know because ive been on them. i intentionally spoke with absolutely NO specificity, as i knew that would be everyone's first reaction. and i know my therapist very well. she won't do anything.

Maybe I am just paranoid.. Anyways, I am happy for you, and others like you, who can move forward and find happiness.

xx

Yeah, actually it was. Wished her and others like her well. What's the big deal?

• Hugs
Reactions: soda_pressed and vaulthunter
vaulthunter

vaulthunter

poyo?
Mar 19, 2019
Maybe I am just paranoid.. Anyways, I am happy for you, and others like you, who can move forward and find happiness.
ive had her since i was a child—we basically grew up together. she's kept many 'secrets' way bigger than this for me before, and she's truly amazing. i really want you to know you have no reason to fear! im sorry if i caused some paranoia, i understand its hard for others to understand that our relationship transcends therapist-patient at this point. thank you so much for the kind words and i hope you have a good day <3

F

Fadingfast

May 9, 2019
Some part of me feels guilty, that is all. I wish I had the ability to move forward with life, like you and sunny. I just wonder if anyone at all brings this site into discussion with authorities or legal teams.

vaulthunter

vaulthunter

poyo?
Mar 19, 2019
Some part of me feels guilty, that is all. I wish I had the ability to move forward with life, like you and sunny. I just wonder if anyone at all brings this site into discussion with authorities or legal teams.
i understand that completely. there are some things you can't force and moving on is one of them. i truly believe you have to be in the right mindset and space to even discover that that is something that is in reach and possible to do, which is why my account is going offline tomorrow. but even before moving on, you have to sort of come to a hard choice, and that usually comes after getting through some bottom of the barrel type stuff. my hard push was almost failing out of college—that scared the living shit out of me.

and in addition to this site and the others like it that ive been on, i also frequented the suicidebereavement subreddit. there i read so many unsent letters, stories, and words about people that had actually completed suicide. i realized that there truly is two sides to this issue. i found so many reasons to stay alive in every story i read, that it fueled me to try and get better, if not for me, for the people i love.

i know that is a cheap cop-out people that have no experience with depression often use to guilt depressed people into staying alive, but i'd never actually "seen" all that so-called grief they say will be generated from suicide. i recommend that subbreddit ( r/suicidebereavement ) to anyone looking for reasons to stay alive, or interested in even seeing the other side.

its incredibly hard to drag yourself out of depression, ive been trying my whole life (not to invalidate your situation) but i never really had a reason to take a hard look at myself until now.

and while im technically a film student, ive actually began studying law a while ago, considering becoming pre-law. from what i've seen in internet censorship cases, authorities can't censor us. they may instruct the site owner to remove the instructions on methods, but they can't stop us from talking about killing ourselves. <33

Last edited:
Reactions: HaleyWayMCR and Fadingfast
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
You are right in a way, but don't forget many of us aren't eligible for euthanasia. Even when we have a mental health problem.
Hell even depression. See many people look at it like just a mental disorder when in reality for many of us it has become a way of life that will always be ingrained in who we are regardless of temporary peace every now and then.

I think everyone is aware that their current situation sucks. Everyone here would want a better life in some way. Yet that is not realistic for us. Neither is euthanasia so what you call a violent death is our only way to peace.

Reactions: Ἡγησίας, Ruffian, not-2-b-the-answer and 7 others
vaulthunter

vaulthunter

poyo?
Mar 19, 2019
You are right in a way, but don't forget many of us aren't eligible for euthanasia. Even when we have a mental health problem.
Hell even depression. See many people look at it like just a mental disorder when in reality for many of us it has become a way of life that will always be ingrained in who we are.

I think everyone is aware that their current situation sucks. Everyone here would want a better life in some way. Yet that is not realistic for us. Neither is euthanasia so what you call a violent death is our only way to peace.
i understand that, i really do. this post was more cathartic and meant for my own progress than it was to be informative or god forbid, preachy. i was just so focused on it, so focused on everything i saw that i equated everything i saw here to the cause of euthanasia. i thought that if i tried hard enough, i could produce something similar. but realized they weren't the same.

i in no way wanted to reinforce the idea that anyones lives suck. im really sorry that it might have come off that way!! i want the best for everyone, and for everyone to be able to express themselves as they wish. while i will no longer be on this site, i do still support its ideals and the idea of suicide being a person's choice. but in my current reality, i've decided it can no longer be a choice for myself, and myself alone. really don't mean to promote recovery or make anyone feel bad about their situation, and am understanding that recovery isn't the choice some people want to make. much love <33

• Hugs
Reactions: Ivenocare, Santiago and Fadingfast
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
i understand that, i really do. this post was more cathartic and meant for my own progress than it was to be informative or god forbid, preachy. i was just so focused on it, so focused on everything i saw that i equated everything i saw here to the cause of euthanasia. i thought that if i tried hard enough, i could produce something similar. but realized they weren't the same.

i in no way wanted to reinforce the idea that anyones lives suck. im really sorry that it might have come off that way!! i want the best for everyone, and for everyone to be able to express themselves as they wish. while i will no longer be on this site, i do still support its ideals and the idea of suicide being a person's choice. but in my current reality, i've decided it can no longer be a choice for myself, and myself alone. really don't mean to promote recovery or make anyone feel bad about their situation, and am understanding that recovery isn't the choice some people want to make. much love <33

I understand and am happy for you!

Unfortunately for many people recovery isn't a choice we can make

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, soda_pressed and vaulthunter
vaulthunter

vaulthunter

poyo?
Mar 19, 2019
I understand and am happy for you!

Unfortunately for many people recovery isn't a choice we can make
thank you! and i know :( there are so many different factors that enable recovery, and for many, those aren't in place. right now i'm really young (19), and don't know what i'm going to do with the rest of my life, but i really hope it ends up with me being able to somehow work with those that don't have the ability for recovery or can't recover for as long as they're on earth. :hug:

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Santiago
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
hi all,

over my time on this site i've only actually gotten to know a few of you, but i've come to care for each and every one of you. every post, every goodbye thread...i did my best to let those ready to catch the bus know that the ride into the sunset would be as peaceful as they hoped. but now, my participation here is coming to an end.

i know there was no need to write this, that nobody probably cares, but after having my first session with my therapist since february (when i created this account), i have had an epiphany.

i went into her office, knowing i had a lot to get off of my chest. i was even shaking a little knowing the gravity of what i was going in for. as she asks me what i would like to speak about, i ask her carefully:

"do you know what euthanasia is?"

she gives me the widest look, and then proceeds to tell me yes. i tell her during my last semester at school (i just finished my sophomore year of college), i had taken up the cause of euthanasia. i had become obsessed with it. i detailed how i watched documentary after documentary about final exit, about the blue house in the Netherlands, about neumbutal, about everything. everything. none of what i was saying was illegal (how could it be? i was describing official organization) and none of it was about SS. not yet, at least.

before i continue, i want to state that i NEVER, EVER once uttered the words "sanctionedsuicide", "ashspace", or any specifics about this site. i was intentionally vague knowing the gravity of my words in the space i was in, and the identities of everyone on this site (which i have no right to expose), regardless of my therapist's incredible stance on euthanasia, which i'll speak about now.

my therapist tells me that yes, she knew what euthanasia was. she then tells me she is a staunch supporter of it. she mentions the hemlock society, kevorkian, final exit...i am astounded. COMPLETELY blown away. she offhandedly mentions she spent time in jail related to it, but very very quickly brushed it off and continued. and with the way she reiterated that she understands how i could feel like i needed a site like SS, i have reason to suspect she spent some time participating in the field, which gives me crazy respect and adoration for her. i'll have to do more research on that!

this is the part that really moved me to make this post. after she told me all that, i realized that this was a safe space. i tell her.

i tell her that in february, i got so depressed, i started planning my suicide. that i stumbled upon a website, and that it would aid me in planning my suicide. i tell her all the typical methods i went through, i tell her about telling fellow members (mentioning no names or any specifics) goodbye and to have safe journeys. i tell her everything. and all through this im under the guise of prefacing my sentence with "i've deleted my account, but please don't report me" (i obviously haven't yet), and she repeatedly reassures me that she would never. she says that im obviously in a better place now that i'm ready to talk about this, and what happened to me. i agree.

as we keep talking about other things, i think. i bring it up again. she talks me through it—"how does talking about this experience make you feel?" and while i was thinking before, this was the first time i actually got to reflect on everything i'd said, everything i'd done. and there was a lot.

in that moment i realized that this...this site is not euthanasia. at least any methods other than neumbutal.

that this site is acronyms and violent death, and that is okay! i am not here to bash anyones methods or this site at all. i fervently believe that everyone has their own choice. but my preferred method (hydrogen sulfide), and hanging, and guns, and whatever other gory method isn't euthanasia. it isn't final exit, or kevorkian, or the blue house in the netherlands.

i had gotten so obsessed with 'reliable methods', or methods i knew would kill me fast, or where i wouldn't have to feel too much pain that i forgot everything i had spent so much time watching. i forgot that the peaceful death is not what i was planning. i forgot what literally everything the peaceful pill handbook is meant to stop: senseless impulsive suicides that cause you pain or actually harm other people.

my consensus in my therapist's room was that sanctionedsuicide wasn't euthanasia. and its not.

the euthanasia movement is campaigning for doctor assisted death, for those who physically suffer. those who have absolutely zero chance of getting better and do nit want to die of pain and disease. not for depression.

i'm sorry to say it, but depression is treatable. im not advocating for therapy or medicine or recovery at all, but depression is treatable—its simply a fact. and its treatable with so many different ways. euthanasia will never, ever be allowed for depression. its just not realistic.

its how i realized that sanctionedsuicide does not equal euthanasia, and that is okay! i love the idea of this site. i love that we are allowed to be free and express ourselves, and power to everyone for expressing themselves as they feel fits for them. but this isn't me.
i can't express myself this way anymore. it's unhealthy, and i (personally, please no one feel like im promoting recovery) have decided to heal. for the first time in half a year i have hope. and its life-changing.

thank you everyone for always being so supportive. you are all truly amazing in your own special way, even if you don't believe me. if you think no one is thinking about you, that no one loves you, or no one cares, please remember: i do. i will always be thinking of you all, and i hope you all find the peace you are seeking, in whatever way you yourself want it —be it death or recovery.

thank you for reading if you made it down here. i'm truly thankful.

much love to you all,

vaulthunter

p.s. i also told my therapist about how while watching a show the day before, i heard one character say a line that completely stopped me in my tracks.

"sometimes, the only way out of hell is through."

and its so true...sometimes, going through hell is the answer. and thats exactly what it took for me to wake up and realize. the show is "the act" on hulu.

love to you all :hug:
I don't believe depression is treatable unless u are heavily medicated but I don't want to be so there's no cure in my case.

Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Ἡγησίας, StillWaiting and 6 others
deflagrat

deflagrat

¡Si hablas español mándame un mensaje privado!
Apr 9, 2018
One of your points was: "A violent death (what SS is supposed to be) is not the same as euthanasia". Who decides that, and why does it have to be violent? Just because it's "official" doesn't make it better. From my point of view, my death will be the same thing as it if was euthanasia. As Philip Nitschke says, it's non medical assisted suicide. The methods have yet to be perfected, sure, but we will get there in time, and this is one of the reasons why I haven't killed myself yet.

Reactions: Donewith_, not-2-b-the-answer, dhk96 and 1 other person
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Well unfortunately, I think a lot of what you said is very contradictory. You can't just blast certain things about this site and other people's methods, etc..-and then make it alright by waving it away while saying "and that's okay!".
Blast is a strong word but this is a site of fragile people and words have power, including yours.
You make general statements like how this site isn't healthy.
For you, or in general?
And how other methods are gory and violent.
One person's "gory" method may be their own type of catharsis. (You know very well that you are using these words with their negative connotations. You should also know some people's options are very limited.)
I don't think anyone should harm other people in the process of dying as far as putting anyone else in danger. But there are less than peaceful methods that still are Not guilty of that.
And honestly, even so, this site seems pretty dedicated to ending lives as peacefully as humanly possible for each person's specific situation. If that is the route someone ends up choosing. This site is regarded as neutral and pro-CHOICE.

You say you have love for everyone here, thoughts, care, and that we are all so "special", yet you summed up the site-and thus the community-as "acronyms and violent death".
You have minimized everyone's struggles, words, suffering, and desperation.. to THAT.
but "that's okay!"..
No, no it is not.

SS isn't euthanasia? Did anyone ever say it was?
And so what if it isn't.
If that was your own illusion and you broke it, that doesn't mean the site was ever trying to parade itself as something that it wasn't.
The thing is, you don't make things clear enough in your post. It reads more like a back and forth. And has an "I'm stating this as fact but I also don't mean it if you're offended" type of tone.
That is how it reads to me. And might be the the same for other people.

You also say that depression is treatable, then say you aren't advocating for treatment, but again, state just how "treatable" it is. That it's a "fact".
Do you know what treatment is?
Treatment is not a cure. You can treat almost anything in one way or another. Treatment doesn't even necessarily mean anything will ever budge or change. It's an attempt. Which I think a lot of people here have already tried.
You also prefaced the treatment paragraph with "sorry to say", which is a passive aggressive phrasing in which you are proactively apologizing because you know it's going to rattle someone's nerves. Why even include that? Just keep it to your own situation, don't throw a blanket over everyone else's.
..If you've looked around this site long enough, you should also know that the reasons for committing suicide vary greatly and are not always chalked up to the type of depression you are referencing or even the physical pain/terminal illnesses.

Furthermore, you act like euthanasia in its current state, is superior to any other form of suicide. Any other form of ending suffering.
You are glad to have hope again but dash others by saying euthanasia will "never, ever be allowed for depression" that it's "just not realistic".
Not realistic how? Meaning the government will not allow it?
Or that it just doesn't make sense?
Because I think it makes a great deal of sense for others. And that many here wish that it will be a very real option some day.
Neither of us know the future when in comes to that, you can make guesses on the likelihood but you can't just say No, it will never happen.
Well you can actually, but it doesn't mean you are right.
..and again, some of your statements read as if you are saying that only the parties who receive euthanasia are deserving of them. That it's only for them and only ever will be for them..because depression is at least "treatable".

I don't think you mean it like that, but that's how it comes across to me. It seems like you are pushing for recovery and for people to choose life, even in your following posts. Where you make recommendations to other places on the net for others to acquire guilt for their future actions. That is not a good reason to stay alive.
Actions are louder than words, in this case, some words are louder than others. You say one thing and then say another.
You say you aren't pushing this, aren't advocating for that..but the rest of your words say you are.

You also go on about how one must be in the right space and mindset, and must reach the bottom of the barrel to be able to see the possibility of recovery.
What do you think most people here have been doing all this time?
They've been hitting the bottom.
They've tried getting to the right place and still fall. Things don't work out for everyone no matter where they are in life. More things are permanent than you think.

You are 19? Great, you are very young, the hope you have now can still lead to a wonderful future.
But a lot of people here have lived for much longer and are much more knowledgeable than you, when it comes to their own situations.
Try not to project your very limited point of view onto an entire community in the way that you are.
You are leaving this site but leaving it with a little piece of anxiety.

As far as your therapist goes..
You can put your own trust and your own safety in someone else's hands if that's what you wish to do. But it is not right to put this site and everyone on it in a stranger's hands. And that's who your therapist is to everyone else.
You make a lot of assumptions about her, which you then say causes you to adore and respect her, and that you know her so well and you KNOW she wouldn't do anything. But no one can really KNOW what another person will or will not do. And you said it yourself, you need to do more research on your assumptions.
(As a note, Have you ever heard of transference and counter transference?)

Your therapist is not your friend, that's not in the job description. It's duty first, before any personal relationship you believe you have with her.
I know some cross the line, not always in a bad way- but still-that would just make them even more unpredictable.
Don't get me wrong, I think therapists and psych doctors should be open to the idea of suicide and talking about it without locking someone up. But their goal is to try to keep you alive.
They will try to change your point of view if medication does not do so alone. They will fault your perception whether it's wrong or right or gray.
They will fault it until you decide to walk in the direction they want you to. It's a form of manipulation. They are a mind doctor. Not a life doctor.
I'm not saying all of this isn't truly your choice or your desire, it sure sounds like it is-but you should be aware of the tactics that are used during sessions. And in turn, realize that trust can be very easily misplaced in a therapist's office. (Or psychologist/psychiatrist, etc)

I know you say you would never be specific about the site or the people on it but you also said-"not yet at least".
What do you mean by this?
Do you mean some day you will name the site and speak about it?
Or you meant, you had yet-at that point-to speak of it, even in general terms?

It's all well and good that you found an open door for yourself to try to get out of a tough spot. But I would caution you to be more clear with your audience, more careful with your words, and ask yourself whether divulging things-even in general terms-can lead to more information being leaked eventually. Also, whether or not other people's stories are yours to tell. Anonymously or not.
Think about how much openness is necessary for your recovery before it starts to affect other people. Other people who do not deserve the consequences of your actions.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, AngelOfDeath01, Hellogoodbye and 3 others
S

soda_pressed

Experienced
Apr 8, 2019
I agree with what a lot of you've said (I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better), but for a lot of people (including me) have untreatable mental illness

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
any%

any%

Student
May 2, 2019
I feel like I know what you mean. And people that are mentally ill cant think properly, or at least cant act after proper thoughts even if they have them. I think SS is a place where you go when you want to die and that's it.

I had a suicide attempt years ago and felt like it is 'untreatable and hell' and 'I cannot be helped' and 'fuck everyone who is unable to see my point of view' yet ever since then I had so many moments where I was like "Damn, I am really glad somehow I fucked it up back then".
I guess what I want to say is that I know from the bottom of my heart that there would have been other ways for me but I chose to see what I want to see and back then it was suicide. (I do not want to tell anyone he/she should not die, I just think it is important that one knows that it is not a rational decision when you are "just" depressed, no matter how certain you feel about that, mental disorders are tricky and you forget what is you and what is the disease)

I just do not want to lie to myself & I know that there is nothing in this world that is untreatable (Sorry if that angers you @soda_pressed ). Chances of success of a treatment is another pair of shoes. But sometimes I also needed thoughts like "I am somehow mentally ill and it is untreatable and it will never change & will carry through my life. Nobody can understand me, I need to die...etc." But all this is (at least in my case) just something I want to believe, I want to convince myself off in order to pull through with suicide because again deep in my heart I know that suicide is a stupid decision for depressed people like me & I do not decide for that but my depression decides that. And I know that this is true for my personal case. When the time comes and I successfully CTB'ed I am just glad that it will be over, because I know that I would feel unbearable guilt for my actions upon myself and would just die due to guilt & regret.

tl;dr: I think people dont decide to die, rather their mental illness does. Terminally ill people (physically ill) is a different thing. If somebody is missing a gene for example you cannot change that (yet, CRISPR waits around the corner). But whatever sick & twisted mind you have, you can work with it. You cannot work with something that is not there. I hope I did not stir up too much dust.

Last edited:
  • Hmph!
Reactions: Ἡγησίας and HaleyWayMCR
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Depression is treatable but for how long? I see treating depression as a way to buy time, nothing else... It's not like, depression came out of nowhere. You can't cure depression.

Reactions: Final Escape
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Depression is treatable but for how long? I see treating depression as a way to buy time, nothing else... It's not like, depression came out of nowhere. You can't cure depression.
Right lol! To really cure depression you would have to solve serious life related problems permanently and identify the root causes. You can medicate depression all u want but that's not a cure.

Reactions: Ἡγησίας, soda_pressed and Severen
NextSummer

NextSummer

Experienced
Mar 28, 2019
Just a side note, they are giving euthanasia to people who have severe and untreatable depression in Belgium and in the Netherlands.

Reactions: Ἡγησίας, Final Escape, Ruffian and 1 other person
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Right lol! To really cure depression you would have to solve serious life related problems permanently and identify the root causes. You can medicate depression all u want but that's not a cure.

Yes, in order to cure depression, you basically have to heal someone's brain from the damage inflicted upon it since the day they were born, brainwash them with beliefs that aren't shit and then give him or her a new life.
Just a side note, they are giving euthanasia to people who have severe and untreatable depression in Belgium and in the Netherlands.
Seriously?

S

soda_pressed

Experienced
Apr 8, 2019
I feel like I know what you mean. And people that are mentally ill cant think properly, or at least cant act after proper thoughts even if they have them. I think SS is a place where you go when you want to die and that's it.

I had a suicide attempt years ago and felt like it is 'untreatable and hell' and 'I cannot be helped' and 'fuck everyone who is unable to see my point of view' yet ever since then I had so many moments where I was like "Damn, I am really glad somehow I fucked it up back then".
I guess what I want to say is that I know from the bottom of my heart that there would have been other ways for me but I chose to see what I want to see and back then it was suicide. (I do not want to tell anyone he/she should not die, I just think it is important that one knows that it is not a rational decision when you are "just" depressed, no matter how certain you feel about that, mental disorders are tricky and you forget what is you and what is the disease)

I just do not want to lie to myself & I know that there is nothing in this world that is untreatable (Sorry if that angers you @soda_pressed ). Chances of success of a treatment is another pair of shoes. But sometimes I also needed thoughts like "I am somehow mentally ill and it is untreatable and it will never change & will carry through my life. Nobody can understand me, I need to die...etc." But all this is (at least in my case) just something I want to believe, I want to convince myself off in order to pull through with suicide because again deep in my heart I know that suicide is a stupid decision for depressed people like me & I do not decide for that but my depression decides that. And I know that this is true for my personal case. When the time comes and I successfully CTB'ed I am just glad that it will be over, because I know that I would feel unbearable guilt for my actions upon myself and would just die due to guilt & regret.

tl;dr: I think people dont decide to die, rather their mental illness does. Terminally ill people (physically ill) is a different thing. If somebody is missing a gene for example you cannot change that (yet, CRISPR waits around the corner). But whatever sick & twisted mind you have, you can work with it. You cannot work with something that is not there. I hope I did not stir up too much dust.
I appreciate your comment, but my despression is a result of Aspergers. It's untreatable, there will never ever be a cure. It's hell on earth living with it.
Therapy and throwing pills down my throat won't make me okay because they can't fix the root of the problem.

Darkhaven

Darkhaven

All i have left is memories
May 19, 2019

Regarding the "untreatability": When you are diagnosed in your 20's with a chronic, progressive disease that you know that will get worse over time, may have serious implications on your daily activities and the medications available for treating it are almost useless (some people don't take a single positive effect out of them) it is very hard to think that way, but i respect your opinion.
If not for the health problem, my depression was actually very manageable.
I'm happy to know that you found a way along the recovery road. It's the best way someone in our situation can have to get out.
As for the euthanasia: we had a debate in our Parliament a year ago that culminated in the proposition of a law to "decriminalise" physician assisted suicide, but it was rejected: right wing pro lifers and Catholics allied themselves with the backwards thinking communists( who still live and talk like they are in 60's cold war era) and were able to stop it from passing, but it was a close call: like 55 against and 50 in favor i think)
But we will have elections in November again and the Socialist party may have a big win along with a leftist ptogressive party and a Ecologist party that is gaining momentum. So maybe there will be a chance.
Of one thing i'm sure: as soon as this current generation of old people finally passes way we will be well on our way to start implementing this in our countries.
I believe there have been some developments in Australia regarding this issue and they mave will go to votes soon, as some studies and inquires have shown that a big percentage of the population is in favor of physician assisted suicide.
Anyway,I hope you recover and life a long and happy life!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ἡγησίας
Ruffian

Ruffian

Jumpin Jack Flash, it’s a gas gas gas
Jan 16, 2019
OP is 19. Really, enough said. Young people don't read, there is a Rules & FAQs section of every forum you join on the internet for a reason. I've made a few recommendations to outside websites, and I let the person know, to please check the mission and consider if it's in opposition to SS before posting questions. Now, I can't control what someone else does, but this isn't fucking Reddit or Facebook, do you even realize the different missions of different platforms, companies, even individuals?

Yeah, the whole tone was off, but I've been so socially awkward a good bit of my life, I know I've come off cocky and condescending. That's kind of how that whole original post read to me. LastFlowers made good points about the specifics of the language, things I haven't thought about in a long time. Plus just the way therapy works and in light of recent events it did feel like we were put on blast. The only thing missing was a "just sayin" at the end.

B

Bigyeah

Jul 18, 2020
Yes, in order to cure depression, you basically have to heal someone's brain from the damage inflicted upon it since the day they were born, brainwash them with beliefs that aren't shit and then give him or her a new life.

Seriously?
Wish I lived in Belgium or the Netherlands
Wish I lived in Belgium or the Netherlands. My Canadian government will never understand what life is like for me. Wish I was terminally ill to have access to medical assisted suicide

BeautifulMosaics

BeautifulMosaics

Specialist
Aug 15, 2021
Never have I witnessed such a back-handed post in my life :shy:

*I know this is old*

Last edited:
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment