R

rollingthunder

May 3, 2023
I know this is kind of silly, but I have a stuffed animal that I love very dearly. My ex-boyfriend bought him for me a long time ago, and we always kind of treated him jokingly like our "son". Since then he has become like a real son to me, and as my ex, and other people, have left my life, he has brought me much comfort. I have autism, so I personify inanimate objects a lot. I genuinely see my stuffed animal as my precious son, and one of the things that brings me great pain is having to leave him behind when I CTB. I am going to request in my note that my best friend inherit him, as she knows how much I care for him, so she will make at least make sure he is safe. However, I am afraid he may be left in a dusty box or closet, because seeing him would be too painful a reminder of me (which I understand). This makes me very sad. How do I cope with this? I keep telling myself he's just a stuffed animal, he doesn't actually have feelings, and it doesn't matter what happens to him when I CTB. But it still makes me very sad.

I know this cannot compare at all to the pain of leaving real people or living pets behind. I have gone through much grief and doubt about the pain I will cause my family and friends, and that is a whole other story. But it is more straightforward to vent about that, because it's not as unusual. And it's not like I can go on regular websites to ask "how do I cope with leaving behind my stuffed animal after I CTB?"

I am wondering if anybody else can relate.

• Hugs
Reactions: divinemistress36