E

Eegretfrex

Oct 13, 2023
I am in my early 30's right now.

Ever since I can remember myself I have been breathing through the mouth.

Now this wouldn't have been a problem if mouth breathing had no effect on you.
But sadly it does have a myriad of very negative and serious effects.

The most devestating for me is the way it impacted my looks.

I have an unattractive side profile and my nose is assymterical and crooked.
This is due to mouth breathing.

Apparently mouth breathing as a child causes irreversible damage to your looks because it negatively impacts your jaw and nose development.

This is a quote from an article:
"Mouth breathing is a major issue especially if this started before puberty because it can have such a huge impact on the way that your facial structure grows and the end result of what your face is going to look like,"

As a kid NO ONE and I mean NO ONE, not my parents, not my teachers, not my friends, no doctor that I ever went to, ever told me that mouth breathing is wrong and that I should only breathe through my nose.

I know that in the US , the term "mouth breather" is used as an insult but I am not from the US. Here there was/is zero awareness about this issue.
(I think only in the US or maybe Canada, UK or Australia this term is a thing).

I only found out about the importance of nasal breathing and that I shouldn't breathe through my mouth when I was about 24.
Let that sink in.

It has been a struggle ever since as mouth breathing has been a decades long habit and my nose was perpetuaplly blocked but now during the day I can mostly breath through my nose.

The problem I still have is when lying down and sleeping.
Whenever I lie down in bed my nose immediately gets blocked again and I cannot breath through my nose.
This causes me to snore and have low quality sleep.

When I was a kid, I wish someone, anyone, esepcially my parents had noticed that I habitually breathe through the mouth and would make me aware of it and tell me to breathe only through the nose.

Then I would have had proper jaw and nose developmemt and my face and side profile would look more attractive.

Basically the way my face looks right now is not the way I was supposed to look like.

But that's too late now...
just another shit thing to deal with in this life I guess...

Here's a link to an article that explains it:

And an image that beautifully illustrates the stark difference between a "nose breather" face and a "mouth breather" face:

And another showing the side profile of a "mouth breather":

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream, pole and voyager
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
I have heard of this before, although some are not sure if it really is a sickness per se. Having said that though, you can have jaw surgery for this very purpose and it actually looks really good sometimes. So you might not be beyond saving. 🙂

Also have problems with a blocked nose due to smoking, but mainly down to stripping the carpet/industrial glue without proper protection. Think it's one of the reasons for my sleep apnia/insomnia. Poorly aligned crowns as a kid also had me mouth breathing at times.

PS: Zoeken, is that Dutch? They have a decent healthcare system, no?

• Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream and Eegretfrex
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Why have I never heard of this before now?

• Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream, NumbItAll and Eegretfrex
E

Eegretfrex

Oct 13, 2023
I have heard of this before, although some are not sure if it really is a sickness per se. Having said that though, you can have jaw surgery for this very purpose and it actually looks really good sometimes. So you might not be beyond saving. 🙂

Also have problems with a blocked nose due to smoking, but mainly down to stripping the carpet/industrial glue without proper protection. Think it's one of the reasons for my sleep apnia/insomnia. Poorly aligned crowns as a kid also had me mouth breathing at times.

PS: Zoeken, is that Dutch? They have a decent healthcare system, no?
Hi "voyager", thank you for your reply.

I hate surgeries so I will never do a cosmetic surgery like that, meaning a surgery I don't have to do for health reasons.

I would advise you to not smoke, as in general it's bad for you.
I never smoked a cigarette in my life and never will.

And no I am not Dutch.
I have no idea why it said "Zoeken" there in the link.
Why have I never heard of this before now?
Exactly.
This was my reaction at 24.

It's crazy how there isn't more awareness about this.
Especially with the irreversible damage it can cause to your looks/face.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
I hate surgeries so I will never do a cosmetic surgery like that, meaning a surgery I don't have to do for health reasons.

I would advise you to not smoke, as in general it's bad for you.
I never smoked a cigarette in my life and never will.
I see, that's your prerogative, of course. As mentioned, there's no real consensus on the issue if it's medical or cosmetical one, but at least in my opinion it's one surgery which actually makes the person look more natural, thus a grey area.

Gave up smoking more than a decade ago and can see why people consider it a bad habit. Probably shouldn't have started but it was good fun in the day. But yeah, it's mainly due to the powdery glue residue and visiting the ENT didn't help. Was a bad call.

Reactions: Eegretfrex
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
Have you tried those breathing strips bandages that go over the bridge of your nose?

figurehead

figurehead

Student
Sep 27, 2023

Apparently mouth breathing as a child causes irreversible damage to your looks because it negatively impacts your jaw and nose development.

"Mouth breathing is a major issue especially if this started before puberty because it can have such a huge impact on the way that your facial structure grows and the end result of what your face is going to look like,"

As a kid NO ONE and I mean NO ONE, not my parents, not my teachers, not my friends, no doctor that I ever went to, ever told me that mouth breathing is wrong and that I should only breathe through my nose.

I know that in the US , the term "mouth breather" is used as an insult but I am not from the US. Here there was/is zero awareness about this issue.

I only found out about the importance of nasal breathing and that I shouldn't breathe through my mouth when I was about 24.
Let that sink in.

It has been a struggle ever since as mouth breathing has been a decades long habit and my nose was perpetuaplly blocked but now during the day I can mostly breath through my nose.

Whenever I lie down in bed my nose immediately gets blocked again and I cannot breath through my nose.

When I was a kid, I wish someone, anyone, esepcially my parents had noticed that I habitually breathe through the mouth and would make me aware of it and tell me to breathe only through the nose.

Then I would have had proper jaw and nose developmemt and my face and side profile would look more attractive.

Basically the way my face looks right now is not the way I was supposed to look like.

And an image that beautifully illustrates the stark difference between a "nose breather" face and a "mouth breather" face:

I'm no doctor, so I definitely don't want to diminish your suffering. That sounds like a direct effect of rhinitis if your nose is always blocked. I've got and my daughter's got it. I don't think she ever has breathed totally from the nose and, as a child and young adult I had no idea what having an unblocked nose was like. I know if it's painful for you, but you're going to cab, be sure about it. I'd go to a allergist, have you been to one?

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager
E

Eegretfrex

Oct 13, 2023
Have you tried those breathing strips bandages that go over the bridge of your nose?
Those things don't really help.
But thanks for the suggestion.

I'm no doctor, so I definitely don't want to diminish your suffering. That sounds like a direct effect of rhinitis if your nose is always blocked. I've got and my daughter's got it. I don't think she ever has breathed totally from the nose and, as a child and young adult I had no idea what having an unblocked nose was like. I know if it's painful for you, but you're going to cab, be sure about it. I'd go to a allergist, have you been to one?
It probably was.
I've looked at pictures of me as a little kid and in all of them I have my mouth open.
So this probably started very early.

I probably had some bad allergy when I was a baby.

But again now, after years of trianing, I can breathe through the nose when standing or sitting.
And even when lying on my back.
But I am used to sleeping on the side and when I lie on my side my nose gets blocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meditation guide and MatrixPrisoner
D

dozer

May 28, 2023

Let that sink in.

Have you tried mewing to correct it?
Sorry this happened to you.