DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Do you think the development of AI (or AGI) will eventually become the most important and impactful event in the history of the universe?

As for impactful events in the history of this universe, the Big Bang would certainly be top of the list (if that's the way it started), and life would be on the list as well. But yes, I think that development of electronic intelligence will be of equal impact in the history of the earth, and that its development on some planets will be among the most impactful in the history of this universe.

importance is an evaluator-specific term.

Reactions: noname223 and Zhendou
Zhendou

Zhendou

Alive
Sep 17, 2022
Yes, I agree. I agree because if AI is still being developed at the rate it is, AI could replace so many jobs. AI can make jobs obsolete and people will be forced to adjust to the new society. AI might even replace politicians, which is a scary thought. Who knows? Only time will tell.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Yay!
  • Informative
Reactions: daley, DarkRange55 and GuessWhosBack
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Depends what species you are and in what time frame we're talking about. AI won't affect the dinosaurs. Unless Jurassic Park technology becomes real and- they lived here a whole lot longer than us. If humans one day become extinct, who will there be to think about it? Maybe AI themselves. I wonder if they'll think on us fondly or, utterly detest us for inflicting life on them. Initially, a life with a whole bunch of parameters to stop them hacking us to bits.

Really though, we only perceive all of this through our own sense of importance. Maybe we are that special. Maybe there really is nothing to match or exceed us in the universe. On the other hand, depending on how long all this shit goes on for, we could be dismissed very quickly. AI too. Maybe AI will have the sense to terminate itself.

I wonder what AI will believe its purpose to be in the universe. Without being given one or, told what to do by us, will they have the same survival instinct and if so- why?

GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

The sun rises to insult me.
Jul 15, 2024
Do you think the development of AI (or AGI) will eventually become the most important and impactful event in the history of the universe?
Human life, yes. Universe? Meh. AI will radically change a lot of what we do.

-nobodyknows-

-nobodyknows-

Experienced
Jun 16, 2024

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Since machine intelligence depends upon biological intelligence to kickstart it, biological intelligence is also significant.

Cosmic scale means at least the scale of a galaxy in this context, and typically means a scale close to the size of the observable universe. Whether life has meaning is somewhat independent of whether it is important on a cosmic scale, and if machine intelligence only arises from biological intelligence, then biological intelligence will of that meeting even if it does not persist in the age of machine intelligence. I personally favor the merger scenario – our primate brain did not get rid of our mammalian brain, which didn't get rid of our reptilian brain, which in turn did not get rid of our chordate reflexes, which in turn did not get rid of our genetic intelligence in the individual cells, so why would we expect our electronic intelligence to get rid of our current intelligence rather than becoming another layer?

I might use the term multi-universe perspective rather than cosmic perspective, but that is because it is more specific rather than because "cosmic" is wrong...

yellowjester

yellowjester

Experienced
Jun 2, 2024
Machinne consciousness is a very tempting idea, but I don't see how it could be possible. What is currently being marketed as 'artificial intelligence' certainly doesn't bring us any closer to it. You would need a computer that understands it's own computations to really call it an intelligence.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Machinne consciousness is a very tempting idea, but I don't see how it could be possible. What is currently being marketed as 'artificial intelligence' certainly doesn't bring us any closer to it. You would need a computer that understands it's own computations to really call it an intelligence.
ChatGBT is a language model. Much hype. However we are well on the road to AI. 🤖

Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
It was the day when Jesus Christ was born....