mx5nb3

mx5nb3

"The opposite of depression is vitality"-A.S. Tedx
Jun 10, 2020
Hi Sanctioned community.
I need opinions and thoughts on a conflict I've been facing with myself.

I owe my uncle nearly $9k for a car loan he paid off for me. BTW I dont have the car anymore, so I cant just leave it to him when I kms. Being young and dumb, I sold it for WAY less than it was worth and ended up with an even cheaper car.

I am only making min. wage and have very limited hours due to this covid19 situation. Finding a second job is unlikely, and I wouldnt have the work ethic to do it anyway tbh. So it will take me 1-2 years more of monotonous bs and misery.. for what? Just to be an upstanding, honorable guy? Ill be dead as soon as I pay him the final dollar, and he will be dead within 20-30 years. So wtf is the point?
He is sufficient financially, btw. He makes enough from retirement and benefits to live pretty well.

But I feel like an awful person just considering this.. but another 1-2 years of this shit is almost unbareable. And Im already a shameful loser going nowhere, so I might as well add Dishonorable to the list... idk.
What do you think?

• Hugs
Reactions: Oyoy
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
@mx5nb3, I'm sorry you're contemplating suicide, but bravo for considering the ethics of leaving a rather large unpaid debt to someone who's been kind to you.

I don't think we can make decisions about how much other people need their money. Unless your uncle tells you explicitly that he doesn't/won't need the 9k, it's not ok to decide that for him.

Can you talk with him about your financial straits - maybe tell him what you can scrape together and ask him outright if he can forgive you the rest of the loan?

I gather you have no life insurance? If you've had a policy for 2 years a lot of them pay in cases of suicide.

Reactions: Didymus, autumnal and Epsilon0
mx5nb3

mx5nb3

"The opposite of depression is vitality"-A.S. Tedx
Jun 10, 2020
Hi Soul. Correct, no life insurance and I won't be around for 2 years so I won't start one. I suppose the best action is to follow my heart and pay him back in full. "Treat others how you would like to be treated", right? Thank you for your perspective.