T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
It's crazy how much a piece of paper defines your life and you as a person. It doesn't matter if you are a good person, do good deeds, or if you have talents or abilities. You are defined by many as what a number is on a screen, how many pieces of a certain paper you have, what your car looks like, what your house looks like. By extension, these things are tied to money. People look down upon certain jobs and I believe salary plays a part. Seeing fast food workers get disrespected is so crazy to me, and it's because of their salary (at least one part of it imo).

I don't know if I entirely agree with the wageslave take, but I do think money holds way to much value as something besides a currency, when all it should be is simply a currency. Worst part is, if you don't make money, you might be considered a failure.

I don't know, just a random late night thought

Reactions: iloveloving, Praestat_Mori and Forever Sleep
Leiot

Leiot

Oct 2, 2024
I think there are a lot of people who are brainwashed into thinking that's how people should be rated. That's what the media teaches us. No consideration for spirituality, compassion or even just accepting people for who they are. I get angry at people who treat service providers like crap. Marcus Aurelius said that power doesn't corrupt, but rather reveals. You put people in a position where someone is 'serving' them and you see their true colors come out.

L

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
most alternatives rely on some form of soft coping. it's not the epochal determinant of your value, but it does provide a rough indication of how well you are able to adapt into society, the benefits thereof regulating social desirability. it's of course never static, but bourgeois thought will necessarily triumph over a more abstract criterion which lacks any dependent socio-cultural norms to validate it

J

justkatie

Aug 25, 2024
I'd even say that people value your worth by the job you do.

There's an assumption that all office workers are smart and hard working where as if you work in retail then you must be stupid.

I've done both and there's a lot of dumb people in offices and a lot of smart people in retail.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Forever Sleep