thatslife

thatslife

Jul 9, 2020
I wish I had the skills to grow my own food or hunt for it, rather than waiting for a check from the fat man at the top to get by. I believe most of my problems come from not being able to conform well with modern life, and it causes me great despair. This "advancement" is just torture to me.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 17331, Disappointered, wait.what and 15 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I think a lot of people's problems are caused and/or exacerbated by modern life. So many are at a severe disadvantage from the start and we're fed an illusion that hard work will always lead to happiness and success. Technology is also a huge issue in my opinion. It's a good tool, but I feel like it's too engrained in our lives. Then there's so many other issues like wages, retirement, healthcare...

I know that the best thing to do is to try and be a positive influence to those around you and whatnot, but it's so hard to not fall into despair looking at the world around us.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 17331, NeverEndingProblem, Wayfaerer and 13 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
You know, you can always learn to grow your own food. And I don't know where you live, so it might be different, but usually moving to countryside is cheaper than staying in the city in most countries. Hunting is trickier, but if you do move to the countryside, you can get yourself some chickens, they aren't really that hard to take care of. It is not impossible to say "screw it" to the modern life and just go live the life you want, you don't have to comform if you don't want to!

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Disappointered, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Worthless_nobody and 3 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I don't like where it's going either. It only makes regret what I did all the more

• Hugs
Reactions: Brink, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Good4Nothing and 1 other person
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
The global elite want total population control so we can all act as their serfs. One of the reasons why suicide is going to be taboo for some time to come.
If you ask me 1984 has already arrived.

• Love
Reactions: NeverEndingProblem, Wayfaerer, esse_est_percipi and 3 others
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
The global elite want total population control so we can all act as their serfs. One of the reasons why suicide is going to be taboo for some time to come.
Definitely already here.

Reactions: NeverEndingProblem, Deleted member 4993, Final Escape and 1 other person
Racon

Racon

Student
Aug 29, 2020
Many third worlders still live in that old way of life. I can only imagine the looks on their faces at a first worlder decrying the benefits of living in a wealthy, medically advanced, minimal-scarcity, technology-saturated, modern country.

Reactions: NeverEndingProblem, Blueman, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 3 others
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
You know, you can always learn to grow your own food. And I don't know where you live, so it might be different, but usually moving to countryside is cheaper than staying in the city in most countries. Hunting is trickier, but if you do move to the countryside, you can get yourself some chickens, they aren't really that hard to take care of. It is not impossible to say "screw it" to the modern life and just go live the life you want, you don't have to comform if you don't want to!
It doesn't matter. If you own land you are still on the grid. You still owe taxes to the government, you'll still have bills to pay; even if you don't have internet and use minimal or no electricity at all, you'll still have to pay for the very fact you live there. You'll need to invade someone's else land or go to the middle of a forest without a lot of people knowing, settling clandestinely. Otherwise you'll still be part of modern life somehow. Sure, you won't depend on a paycheck anymore, which seems to be OP's main point on this thread, but you're still under control of tptb and still victim of all the hassle that comes with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Disappointered, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and Sprite_Geist
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Well, if we go to the extreme and assume the only way not to conform is to live in the wilderness without participating in financial exchange, I am genuinely curious why this kind of a life would be appealing to anyone?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Sprite_Geist and Worthless_nobody
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Many third worlders still live in that old way of life. I can only imagine the looks on their faces at a first worlder decrying the benefits of living in a wealthy, medically advanced, minimal-scarcity, technology-saturated, modern country.

A wealthy country does not always equate to a healthy country, or a healthy and happy life. It is not minimal-scarcity when there are many that still go without, because they are unable to access said wealth. "High-tech, low-life" is the mantra of the Cyberpunk science-fiction subgenre, and it could also be used to describe certain "well-off" and modern nations too.

• Love
Reactions: Good4Nothing, Final Escape, TheQ22 and 1 other person
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
A wealthy country does not always equate to a healthy country, or a healthy and happy life. It is not minimal-scarcity when there are many that still go without, because they are unable to access said wealth. "High-tech, low-life" is the mantra of the Cyberpunk science-fiction subgenre, and it could also be used to describe certain "well-off" and modern nations too.
Well said. It reminds me of how the healthiest and happiest people I've heard of seem to be the sub-Saharan hunter-gatherers in Africa. They really seem to have life figured out and I'm jealous of them.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
Racon

Racon

Student
Aug 29, 2020
Well said. It reminds me of how the healthiest and happiest people I've heard of seem to be the sub-Saharan hunter-gatherers in Africa. They really seem to have life figured out and I'm jealous of them.
This sort of stuff is what naive hippies and far left ideologues want to believe. What we have today in the modern world is amazing and everything is only getting better. Not only in wealthy countries but also in poor countries. The statistics are easily found to show that. Plenty of books have been hammered out in recent years making this known.

The reality of the hunter-gatherer world was one of brutal tribal warfare, mass rape, and suffering. It wasn't happy communities all peacefully sitting in the sun enjoying coconut cocktails basking in a simple way of life.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, GrumpyFrog, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 2 others
H

Harleyyy

Student
May 15, 2020
I wish I had the skills to grow my own food or hunt for it, rather than waiting for a check from the fat man at the top to get by. I believe most of my problems come from not being able to conform well with modern life, and it causes me great despair. This "advancement" is just torture to me.
I agree. It doesn't bode well. I think that is why mental health issues are on the rise because we are training our brain to invest too much time into thinking and not actually working physically and towards something fruitful. So many companies are just based on gossip. What the hell is that? I think we all need to be invested in some real work but sadly in these times you wouldn't be able to survive in that kind of a job. The simpler, the better.

Reactions: BitterlyAlive
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
I... don't think so. Here's the map for bipolar disorder for example :
Bipolar disorder world map   DALY   WHO2002

• Wow
Reactions: BitterlyAlive
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020

It's a sane riot imho. What prevents you to start an alternative lifestyle ? Our time is fitted. The consciousness are breaking open and many are regrouping themselves to live concretely what you suggest. In my area, there are many such initiatives leading a lot more "back to the roots" pure life, respecting all things and beings.

This community is principally vegan and cultivate his own food for a good part.

(can set subtitles to english)

Be the change you long for.

Or should we launch a mansion which fosters suicidal kids with new ambitions ? :)) Lead the way...

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I think that is why mental health issues are on the rise because we are training our brain to invest too much time into thinking and not actually working physically and towards something fruitful. So many companies are just based on gossip. What the hell is that? I think we all need to be invested in some real work but sadly in these times you wouldn't be able to survive in that kind of a job.
Aw, c'mon, you sure can do it! If you'd like to work physically and you're capable, there is a plenty of jobs based on that out there, and some of them actually have quite decent wages. There is a plenty of opportunities to simplify your life if you don't like the complexity.
As a physically disabled person, I am not a fan of "we all should do some real (physical) work", though. I fully support people who chose to simplify their life and go back to the basics, but I drastically disagree with advocating for simplification for everyone, because some people would suffer excessively without the modern life's perks.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
H

Harleyyy

Student
May 15, 2020
Aw, c'mon, you sure can do it! If you'd like to work physically and you're capable, there is a plenty of jobs based on that out there, and some of them actually have quite decent wages. There is a plenty of opportunities to simplify your life if you don't like the complexity.
As a physically disabled person, I am not a fan of "we all should do some real (physical) work", though. I fully support people who chose to simplify their life and go back to the basics, but I drastically disagree with advocating for simplification for everyone, because some people would suffer excessively without the modern life's perks.
I am not talking about everyone getting physically exhausting jobs, i was basically aiming towards the jobs where people literally have to just think about gossip and that kind of a thing. The jobs where people are into calculating stuff like accounts and all seem fine to me. However i would still promote the idea of life earlier than this.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
This sort of stuff is what naive hippies and far left ideologues want to believe. What we have today in the modern world is amazing and everything is only getting better. Not only in wealthy countries but also in poor countries. The statistics are easily found to show that. Plenty of books have been hammered out in recent years making this known.

The reality of the hunter-gatherer world was one of brutal tribal warfare, mass rape, and suffering. It wasn't happy communities all peacefully sitting in the sun enjoying coconut cocktails basking in a simple way of life.

I did not say that hunter-gatherer societies that existed in the past were better or happier. I am all for technological advancement given that I support the advancement of cybernetics and transhumanism; which contradicts the ideology of the so-called "naive hippy". I am not a boomer who thinks that everything was better "in the good 'ol days." The point that I was trying to make was that although modern society has eliminated a lot of suffering that was prevalent in the past, there are new problems and challenges that must be faced. We are in a forum where people want to kill themselves, and some of them are from the first world. This should give a hint.

Take social media for example: it is an amazing tool of communication, and it has allowed us to become more connected than any other generation before - we are very privileged to have access to it. There is a flip side though. Social media has also made way for new forms of abuse that did not exist before, or at least not to the extent that it is at now. This includes cyberbullying, harassment, doxxing and online stalking; all of which can contribute to the damage of an individuals health. This is what I mean't with the "high-tech low-life" comment. Those same improvements to our world can also harm us if not used properly. To put it another way: It is like patching a bug in a piece of software. By fixing a line of code which causes undesirable functions it can open up new bugs elsewhere. So while the newer software version is a huge improvement overall compared to the last there are still imperfections. In the same way that the modern world we live in is much more comfortable and improved than civillizations of the past, but at the same time people can still suffer and have to face problems not heard of before. "Better" does not mean "perfect". And that is not to say that it will ever be perfect, because a perfect world is a fairytale.

Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
Imo what we call modern life is a natural advancement of feudalism and western imperialism, or perhaps imperialism in general, but because of its scale and the refinement of social control techniques that are passively used to coerce the majority of people to participate willingly it's vaguer and more difficult to grasp the foundations of and the immensity of what's wrong and why we're led through unhappy lives. I have a whole section of my brain dedicated to this but most of the time it's like I'm walking through a fog and only every once in awhile can I manage to dust off the cobwebs. I'm convinced that this fog is itself a byproduct of modern living.

People tend to change a lot after adolescence, I've noticed, and I don't think that most of those changes are truly willing. It's like any one human's natural growth process is hijacked by the pervasive and forceful ideological climates of now, which tend, in my opinion, to be eerily similar but superficially different enough to present the illusion of diversity. We don't spare children either, the twelve years of wrongful imprisonment that we call primary and secondary education are necessary for this process to occur efficiently. It's a sorting hat, a social conditioning instrument and a way to catch and condemn outliers early all in one.

The real problem is that we are not free, that our lack of freedom is backed by concepts that we're impregnated with that bind us unknowingly (let's call abrahamic religions a test run), and when those fail outright violence that people turn a blind eye to because of how we're taught to think of justice, that we have endless illusory distractions from our lack of freedom, and that we can't even trust our own perceptions if some of the foundations of those perceptions directly antagonize us in ways we're not aware of. The only thing that can't be taken away from us is the core intuition that something is wrong even if correctly naming it is an uphill battle.

Maybe I'm being a tinfoil hat, which is another trick, association of a valid thought or behavior with one that appears ridiculous, I can't begin to tell you how often I was knee jerk accused of being a scientologist whenever I would attack psychiatry, it was honestly surreal, and reality always sucks. I'm sure it does, but hopefully not this bad.

Deprogramming is hard because of how deeply it reaches but on the rare occasion it happens reality looks very different. And we have mental hospitals for people who do that too, there's already a system in place to discredit or mislead, or even give catastrophic brain damage to anyone who begins to grasp the truth of what's really going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Disappointered and nothingchanges
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
"The few who could understand the system (cheque, money, credits) will either be so interested in its profits, or so dependent on its favors, that there will be no opposition from that class, while on the other hand, the great body of people, mentally incapable of comprehending the tremendous advantage that capital derives from the system, will bear its burdens without complaint, and perhaps without even suspecting the system is inimical to their interests."
(Nathaniel Rothschild, 1912, speaking to a group of international bankers)

Reactions: StateOfMind and Disappointered
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
I agree but I think there are more than enough serfs already, so I predict that suicide is going to get more accepted in the next few decades.