D

d3c96524be95

Student
Jan 24, 2023
I glanced over the comment section of Tentacrul's video the other day. The video is very moralistic and includes some factually untrue or misleading information, therefore doesn't encourage constructive comments (not to mention Tentacrul actively censoring remotely critical comments + YouTube garbage moderation algorithm randomly removing comments or responses). However, 99% of comments fall into the following categories:
  • "It's a shame that suicide can be discussed freely without retention of information (incl. methods, accessible to minors, etc…)"
  • "One should seek help, talk to a doctor about their suicidal thoughts, call emergency helplines, etc…"
  • "Old members/admins weren't able to CTB themselves therefore they are evil/psychopaths"
  • "I suffered from depression at one point and got better, so it's possible" (variant of "things always get better")
  • "This forum is a cult, its users/admins are brainwashed/dumb" (this one is probably the most absurd and easiest to refute argument btw, and those who buy Tentacrul's reasoning on this site being a cult really lack critical abilities or knowledge of what a cult actually is)
Most of these are rationales and fallacies I've already encountered countless times IRL. I understand that morals can vary among people depending on many factors (including the fact that you're depressed), and I won't get into the pro-life vs pro-choice stuff here. What strikes me however is the complete lack of empathy and comprehension of the vast majority of non-suicidal people towards suicidal ideations. They just fail to show the slightest effort of understanding, and dismiss our reasoning solely on the premise that our thinking is "altered" (whatever that means). Yes, most depressions resolve with time and to some extent solutions do exist, but that's not the point at all. They don't realize that an overwhelming majority of us have tried LOTS of so-called "solutions". We don't see suicide as a primary, gold-standard solution to any of our issues, it's just a way to end suffering *because* other solutions implying living have failed. We have talked to doctors, to families, to friends, only to face disappointment and a lack of effective remedies to our issues (when the "remedy" doesn't make matters worse). Talk about your suicidal thoughts? Fine, they'll put in a ward until you pretend you feel better. Do they think that really helps? In fact, I think most of them are unaware of that because they don't really care, they're just virtue signalling. Ultimately, they think that depression is *always* temporary, that solutions *always* exist, and that suicide is a reckless way out when most of the time it's everything but that.

The one category that probably enrages me the most (and which is among the most frequent I saw in the comment section of the video) is "old members weren't able to commit". IMO, this is very symptomatic and shows the problem very well. They just cannot sympathize. They cannot imagine that one can suffer for years and yet fail to CTB. They think it's easy to overcome survival instinct, fear of death, or fear that you may end up in a vegetative state for the rest of your life if you fail or if they try to save you. They think we don't balance out how we'll offload part of our suffering to our family and friends, when in fact I'm sure most of us constantly do. They dismiss the fact that reliable, simple and painless methods are so difficult to access (despite the knowledge being very easy to find regardless of the existence of this community). Also, I somehow interpret this argument as a kind of suicide incitement towards old members (which is also something they're groundlessly blaming this community for).

I doubt anyone will actually read through this post (thank you very much if you did though), but I'm sorry for the use of "we" when I'm really just talking about my own feelings and my understanding of most other suicidal people's feelings. I still hope you can relate a little bit, but I might just be in the wrong, that's fine.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: myusername890, Forever Sleep, Dino_flower and 3 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Anything that pro lifers say is nonsense, there is no point to reading that garbage as it could never change the fact that nobody is obligated to continue existing and that life is something so terrible. There is simply no real relief from suffering in this hellish world and that is the reality.

Reactions: yive, myusername890 and Dino_flower