Joey

Joey

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2020
I've been researching online about stuff like this and it's definitely interesting on how the rates are increasing.

It can be for many reasons like undiagnosed mental illnesses, failed healthcare system, depression, rationally, and so forth.

But I do now that most millennials do joke around on dying a lot when it comes to memes and such. Not like actually wanting to die but to show their own sufferings in the world.

I do think the most reason is people not finding out what to live for. Boomers back in the day, you could have a part time job and buy your ass a nice apartment and even go to college. But now wages are stagnant, rent keeps on increasing, corporate fucks screwing people over, and I could list so many.

Maybe it's just me overreacting and I don't know shit since I don't have my life fully together as of now but it definitely is something to think about..

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Bct, puppy9, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
B

Brokenwithbpd

Mage
Jun 15, 2020
My husbands sister is 18. I find it highly annoying (and forgive me if I come across rude or anything) but it's like every other sentence is a joke about killing themselves. But they really have no intention. I guess someone who has many attempts and don't even make jokes about it just find it annoying and lack of actually knowing what they are saying

• Hmph!
Reactions: MaisieWilliamsLover and Joey
Joey

Joey

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2020
My husbands sister is 18. I find it highly annoying (and forgive me if I come across rude or anything) but it's like every other sentence is a joke about killing themselves. But they really have no intention. I guess someone who has many attempts and don't even make jokes about it just find it annoying and lack of actually knowing what they are saying
Yeah I can see where you're getting at. Some others just do it for attention and just want to look for sympathy. It makes the other people with real problems, look bad.

Reactions: Bct, RileyTanaka, charlottewilts and 2 others
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
The economy and stagnant wages are just one piece of the puzzle. I personally think the internet is a huge driving force as well and it has become a platform for all kinds of evil or toxic human behavior that's constantly on display. Our society is often a driving force for pushing people towards suicide and it provides little to no forms of practical help either.

"Living happily" itself is a myth. Nobody on this floating rock is consistently "happy" every single day unless there is something seriously neurologically wrong with them that makes them that way. Life itself is inherently suffering - this isn't some edgy edict, it's the fundamental nature of the human condition; we are animals, and moreso social animals, which, not unlike elephants, zebras, dolphins, cows, or donkeys, are biologically wired and adapted to chasing short-term fulfillment, and avoiding pain and suffering - to the degree we experience and remember negative feelings and experiences far, far deeper and longer than we do positive experiences. This is the telltale sign of our inescapable animal nature - the hardwiring that makes suffering so inherently unavoidable, and pleasure seemingly so elusive.

Boiling the phenomena of NEETdom down to "mental health" is a reductionistic fairy tale that completely ignores the context of modern life in favor of hyperindividualizing the consequences of that context down to the individual and leaving it there. Speaking of context - the factors you mention are not as much of an immunological force as you imagine. Our society is one rife with celebrity suicides, who so many see as the "winners" of our silly game - they have money, prestige, recognition, fulfillment, endless fancy toys and achievements - and yet still cannot escape the call to the void - which, if anything, speaks to the fact we spend our lives chasing things that really do not make our lives all that worthwhile in the end. Sure, it's nice to be clock in to your 9-5 every day and pat yourself on the back and tell yourself you're doing the right thing like everyone else, but this is the life of an obedient somnambulant - one we are conditioned for in this society. You know the script - go to school, work until you're old, save and scrimp the whole way through, retire, and go rot in an old folks home using the money you've hoarded your whole life. This might be a fulfilling life for an inanimate machine part that cannot feel and is not alive, but for a social animal that needs environmental enrichment and belonging and meaning to feel any kind of consistent fulfilment, it is a slow death.

This isn't to say NEETdom is some grand alternative - it is the final consequence of this meaningless life program - narcissized depression and almost total alienation, whereby one practically declares themselves dead to the outside world and escapes deeper and deeper inside themselves as a solace, until the crushing emptiness of isolation and loneliness destroys their ability to experience pleasure and often their will to live. This is typically because of the self-isolating shame that attaches itself to the status. As social animals, we need people in our lives to feel any degree of worthwhile. Interpersonal interaction injects our lives with a kind of meaning and fulfilment that all the technology, distractions and drugs cannot. Unemployment and NEETdom would not nearly be as bad if not for the immense social stigma, and if we could all expect to live in communities we felt a part of, or at the very least had friends who cared about us outside of our job title. Unfortunately, this is not the nature of our hyperindividualized, materialistic, and vain society whereby one increasingly derives their (narcissized) sense of self-worth and status from their ability to consume and brag about said consumption. Instead, we live in a time where over half of the population reports always feeling lonely and having few if any friends, 1/6 of us are on psychotropic drugs, and the suicide rate hasn't been this high in 30 years.

All the same - this doesn't make "successful" people failures. But it also doesn't make NEETs "failures", at least in any individual sense. The failure is society itself - in providing an insane sociocultural script that makes people incredibly sick; if I could call NEETdom anything, anything at all, I'd call it the canary in the coal mine for a society that is providing an age old lifescript that is no longer worthwhile, rewarding, or even meaningful in any sense - nor does it even guarantee the barest physical necessities for participation anymore; recall that wages have been stagnant for 40 years and we have wealth inequality levels that mimic those found prior to the Great Depression, what becomes all the more clear is that modern life is the new Great Depression. This is a dreadfully sick post-meaning society where mass shootings, panoptic surveillance, suicide, opiate abuse, loneliness, and alienation have become as commonplace as psychotropic drugs and psych diagnoses; which, if anything, says nothing more than that the very concept of "mental illness" is a desperate attempt by the system to hold on to it's collapsing validity by pointing at dissidents and shouting "they have some inherent biological illness that makes them this way!" As such, the realm of modern day psychology/psychiatry has become no more than another long arm of the corporatocratic, neoliberal police state, which has a part in allowing modern-day quality of life to continue it's decades long slow bleed to the sociopathic class - the wealthy and powerful.

We must think of NEETdom, depression, and a wide scope of psychological maladies as meaningful signals our bodies are sending us about the ways we conduct our lives nowadays, not as noise that is to be ignored and medicated away." -Stranger from the internet

Last edited:
Reactions: Sprite_Geist, Intheo, not-2-b-the-answer and 3 others
Joey

Joey

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2020
The economy and stagnant wages are just one piece of the puzzle. I personally think the internet is a huge driving force as well and it has become a platform for all kinds of evil or toxic human behavior that's constantly on display. Our society is often a driving force for pushing people towards suicide and it provides little to no forms of practical help either.
The Human Condition

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
B

Brokenwithbpd

Mage
Jun 15, 2020
Yeah I can see where you're getting at. Some others just do it for attention and just want to look for sympathy. It makes the other people with real problems, look bad.
Exactly

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Joey
SoIntoYou

SoIntoYou

Pillowman
Jul 9, 2020
I think it's only going to get worse with each new generation. Great thread.

Reactions: Odd_Duck, not-2-b-the-answer and Joey
speck

speck

Student
May 5, 2020
I am an older millennial and I think a lot of it is....there's nothing to look forward to unless you have money. This is not to say that there aren't many free or cheap things in this world. This is just to say that so much of life is trying to stay afloat financiall, while doing things you hate to do that While also being worried about housing prices and stability. It's a lot more than most of us thought we'd be doing, I think.

• Love
Reactions: Bct, suffering, RileyTanaka and 5 others
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I think because of having unique circumstances including technology that was new at its time which allows information to spread and let them know the truth about life and things, they also used it to talk about their suffering and problems which is new. It felt like a new dimension was opened for them. Before that, people were still suffering and having problems but they hide it from others but now its visible. There are more reasons and its complicated

Reactions: KibblesNBits and Joey
Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
Like others have stated a lot of it has to do with money and the costs of things that were once easily attainable.The things we were taught while growing up were outdated at a much quicker pace that made it difficult to keep up with all the changes that happened around us.

The youngest millennials are like 25/26...

Reactions: Bct, FusRohDracarys, Caspers and 3 others
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Jul 5, 2020
I definitely think it's got something to do with capitalism. All of the rich bigwigs outright refuse to give even basic dignity to people, just so that they can save a buck, and for what? I think a lot of people wouldn't have chosen to ctb if they had quality affordable mental health care, for example. I believe that mental illness has always existed, but capitalism has exacerbated it. People are always artificially stressed, worried, and upset. We are taught that we aren't supposed to help each other out, even though our tendency to cooperate is what made us become apex predators. That would drive anyone crazy, because it's wholly unnatural for us.

As for the death jokes, I think most of it is just trendy lately. Like how the crude South Park-style humor was big back in the day. I find it kinda annoying, but you can't blame them tbh. This world does suck, and you don't need to be mentally ill to realize that. It's also very normal & reasonable to feel worried and upset and hopeless in the face of our reality.

I just hope that people will start voting and making moves to change things so that we don't have to suffer needlessly for even more generations. Luckily social media has made that sort of organization much more possible.

Reactions: speck, Bct and RileyTanaka
B

Brokenwithbpd

Mage
Jun 15, 2020
Like others have stated a lot of it has to do with money and the costs of things that were once easily attainable.The things we were taught while growing up were outdated at a much quicker pace that made it difficult to keep up with all the changes that happened around us.

The youngest millennials are like 25/26...
Ahh maybe they are gen z? I'm losing track

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Economic inequality, poor housing, increased divorce rates in parents, prescription drug pushing medical system, poor mental health support, rising reliance on debt, poor job markets, proliferation of new and cheap illegal drugs, etc. etc. etc.

The list goes on and on. Our quality of life is on the decline. Expect to see increased violent crime and suicide as we continue down this path that our "leaders" have led us down.

• Hugs
Reactions: Bct, FusRohDracarys, Odd_Duck and 6 others
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
Economic inequality, poor housing, increased divorce rates in parents, prescription drug pushing medical system, poor mental health support, rising reliance on debt, poor job markets, proliferation of new and cheap illegal drugs, etc. etc. etc.

The list goes on and on. Our quality of life is on the decline. Expect to see increased violent crime and suicide as we continue down this path that our "leaders" have led us down.

Reactions: TAW122 and Brick In The Wall
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
The things that make me want to die an an 18 year old don't seem like things that haven't existed in the past. I'm mainly stressed out by wanting to succeed in education, wanting to be socially successful, wanting to have a nice quality of life and having anxieties about my looks and personality. It is kinda convenient that everyone jokes about wanting to die since it means I can say it freely and nobody gets suspicious.

RileyTanaka

RileyTanaka

ill / failure
Mar 20, 2020
I definitely think it's got something to do with capitalism. All of the rich bigwigs outright refuse to give even basic dignity to people, just so that they can save a buck, and for what? I think a lot of people wouldn't have chosen to ctb if they had quality affordable mental health care, for example. I believe that mental illness has always existed, but capitalism has exacerbated it. People are always artificially stressed, worried, and upset. We are taught that we aren't supposed to help each other out, even though our tendency to cooperate is what made us become apex predators. That would drive anyone crazy, because it's wholly unnatural for us.

As for the death jokes, I think most of it is just trendy lately. Like how the crude South Park-style humor was big back in the day. I find it kinda annoying, but you can't blame them tbh. This world does suck, and you don't need to be mentally ill to realize that. It's also very normal & reasonable to feel worried and upset and hopeless in the face of our reality.

I just hope that people will start voting and making moves to change things so that we don't have to suffer needlessly for even more generations. Luckily social media has made that sort of organization much more possible.
Voting changes very little on its own. Even Chomsky acknowledges that Americans think voting is adequate but the reality is that it's passive and drastic amounts of activism/pressure is required to change systems in a lasting, impactful way. Also fully agree that unregulated capitalism is inflicting suffering and it's getting progressively worse as the years go on. Meanwhile you have idiots in our country worshipping billionaires and demonizing people who are actively trying to protect and change things. It is incredibly easy for people in power, coupled with media and suppressive legislation, to control the mentality of us all - and to pit us against each other as we fight over crumbs. We are doomed.

I'm a tail end millenial (in my 30's) but how I feel about Gen Z is that unlike the boomers, they can actually see the world more objectively for what it is. They know that they're going to have to work hard and get very little in return aside from more wage slavery, debt, and health problems. They know that capitalism doesn't work. At least people my age had the nice cushion of 90's sense of freedom and fun before their hopes and illusions were crushed later... Even though I do observe more young people joking about dying/suicide these days, I also feel like their "wokeness" belies more concern about the world and its future, which is generally a hopeful thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bct
J

JerJoh

Mar 27, 2019
The reasons behind suicide are vast and complex, I was sexually violated when I was 7 years old and have been dealing with intense suicidal ideation for 30 years because of it. My abusive ex wife only made it worse.

Apart from that I have a wonderful nob, I am in post secondary and doing very well as I work towards transitioning into my dream career, I own lovely condo and have a good car. None of that stops me from being suicidal.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I am a millennial and I do corroborate with your findings. Quality of life has certainly gone down as compared to decades prior. While technology has made things more convenient and what was once a chore to be a breeze, it has brought it's own problems (humans becoming less connected IRL and what not).

This looks like a good video. It seems like as we are here, in the year 2020 (and over halfway as of this post), the predictions is certainly becoming a reality. I know one of my reasons for wanting to CTB is the continued decline in quality of life, happiness, and overall joy. Of course, there are a lot of people in denial (a few of which I know IRL) who either downplay, dismiss, or live in bliss that things are ok. I am only hoping to not be around when things get so bad that it is a literally hell even in basic needs and general welfare.

E

EGR92

Student
Jul 4, 2020
The reasons behind suicide are vast and complex, I was sexually violated when I was 7 years old and have been dealing with intense suicidal ideation for 30 years because of it. My abusive ex wife only made it worse.

Apart from that I have a wonderful nob, I am in post secondary and doing very well as I work towards transitioning into my dream career, I own lovely condo and have a good car. None of that stops me from being suicidal.

You have a wonderful nob?!

A

Ashwee73

Jul 13, 2020
Harsh reality is bc life was pretty cruel to us.

J

JoeFailure

Mage
Apr 29, 2019

I'm really sorry to hear that, I can relate to the sexual violation. I'm basically a 35 year old virgin because of it. Getting close to being that 40 Year Old Virgin that everyone laughed at. Loved that movie, never knew it could become a reality.

Do you think a good relationship might help swing things for you, because you have so much else that's positive for you? I'd do just about anything to have a good career so I didn't have to worry so much about that part of life. But I know it's not everything, no one thing is, I think it really has to be a balance.

C

curiouskitty

Jul 13, 2020
Personally, I've wanted to die since I was around 11-12 (for context, I am in my mid-20s). Mind you, there have not been any extreme circumstances which would've resulted in me wanting to cease existence - I was not raped or abused. I just did not find life that interesting or wonderful (I still don't). The people that claim that it is are either rich or have gaslit themselves through whatever means necessary.

Imho the rates are gonna keep increasing until something is done in relation to establishing a basic standard of living for everyone.

Reactions: Busdriver and Joey
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020

@JerJoh I am so sorry and i want to hug you.
Child abuse is worst crime a human being can commit. I dont believe in the death penalty howeve i believe child abusers should stay in jail for life and do hard labour in prison. I hate how the legal system fails abused children. It is so not fair.

There is a special place in hell for those who abuse children.

I hope you find love again. You deserve someone who treats you better and loves you for you.
You have come a long way and worked hard to get to where you are. You should be proud of yourself.

What is your dream career and good luck.

Love
FireFox
Harsh reality is bc life was pretty cruel to us.
@Ashwee73 The worst thing is when parents constantly tell us "life is not fair"
It pisses me off so much because our parents know life is hard but never teach us how to deal or cope with this bullshit.
Then the same parentd wonder why thier children catch the bus
If i was taught how to cope with life i would not be on this forum.
All family taught me was to put it in prayer and accept this bullshit is gods plan.
I dont believe in everything happens for reason. It is bullshit

I am sorry but i like my problems fixed and managed.

I hate my family from sheltering me because i now cant cope with life.

This is why i will catch the bus

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JerJoh
R

rebelsue

Hope Addict
Dec 12, 2019
I am an older millennial and I think a lot of it is....there's nothing to look forward to unless you have money. This is not to say that there aren't many free or cheap things in this world. This is just to say that so much of life is trying to stay afloat financiall, while doing things you hate to do that While also being worried about housing prices and stability. It's a lot more than most of us thought we'd be doing, I think.

This is 100%. Say what you want about people idealizing money or putting their self worth into their income but you really can't objectively do anything rewarding or look forward to anything unless you can pay your bills and keep a roof over your head first. A lot of people work super hard and just happened to pick the wrong college major on bad advice from their baby boomer parents. Just recently wrote a treatise about this in the recovery section because I wanted to help other people not end up like me. https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/a-warning-to-high-school-and-university-students.43185/