Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
Being told I might have a personality disorder feels like being told that it's not just that you have a mental illness (depression), it's your whole personality and everything that you are that's fucked up.
Then there's no point in even trying.
You can't fix depression and you sure as fuck can't fix a personality disorder. There's nothing to do.
I wake up every day wishing I didn't, I constantly think about ctb but I can't manage to acctually go through with it.
I can't fucking stand this. I don't know what to do.

• Hugs
Reactions: sancta-simplicitas
sancta-simplicitas

sancta-simplicitas

Arcanist
Dec 14, 2023
Personality disorders are just a method of oppression. They label anyone that they either don't like or don't understand with one, most often women. I firmly believe that they arouse because the understanding of traumatization has historically been practically non-existant and it's still pretty bad. Every, single "symptom" is a psychological defense mechanism that your psyche has developed for a reason. There is no such thing as a disordered personality.

Reactions: vagabond_concerto and astr4
L

laetitia7

dead girl walking
Sep 7, 2024
hi. i don't suffer from a personality disorder, but i'm very very very close to two borderline friends.
sometimes i can't draw a line that separates their personality traits from the disorder symptoms. that is, unfortunately, true.
but after they started therapy (specifically CBT and/or DBT) their symptoms started to vanish.

having a personality disorder isn't about your entire personality being fucked up. is about having a disorder that can mess up with your personality traits. CBT and DBT are ASTONISHING EFFICIENT on trating personality disorder patients (DBT is perfect for borderline). patients can literally get into a remission point that they literally don't fit the diagnostic criteria anymore.

examples of what CBT/DBT can do for you:
you'll learn to recognize dysfunctional thoughts, automatic thoughts, cognitive dysfunctions, ex: "everything or nothing, when you assume two different categories for people and situations", or maybe "i'm worthless" "i'm useless" "there is no solution to my problem" etc

you'll learn emotional regulation methods and alternative answers to these cognitive dysfunctions, like "finding the middle point and identifying the disregarded possibilities"

you'll learn to recognize the categories of each dysfunctional thought, like "mind reading, when you assume what other people think without having any proof that this is true". you'll learn to question these dysfunctional thoughts. you'll learn to take actions about these thoughts.

you'll learn how to prevent these cognitive dysfunctions. kinda like "change your mindset" but not in a coaching way lol that would be terrible. kinda like in a "let's reprogram this rotten parts of the brain", if you know what i mean.

i know that having a diagnosis/possibility like this is difficult. (i, myself got a bipolar diagnosis and was in total denial for 2 years) but it is freeing, in a way, because you can know exactly where the problem is. you know it's not your fault, it's a disorder. a mental disorder. it can be treated just like diabetes or a broken leg. you know exactly the sphere your problem resides. the exactly type of therapy and meds and what needs to be done.

maybe you'll find out that many of the things that happened in your life, some mistakes that were made, interpersonal relationships, social interactions, etc, were just a mental health issue that can be treated and get you in remission.

with all the love in the world, i wish you'll get a rightful diagnosis and can get access to proper treatment with good professionals and be surrounded by loving people that can be an emotional support during your journey.

this is coming from a 21yo girl, who is bipolar type 2, autistic, extremely anxious, that tried CTB once at 11yo, twice at 15yo, that survived to tell the story of her mental health treatment that gone well.

take care!

Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
hi. i don't suffer from a personality disorder, but i'm very very very close to two borderline friends.
sometimes i can't draw a line that separates their personality traits from the disorder symptoms. that is, unfortunately, true.
but after they started therapy (specifically CBT and/or DBT) their symptoms started to vanish.

having a personality disorder isn't about your entire personality being fucked up. is about having a disorder that can mess up with your personality traits. CBT and DBT are ASTONISHING EFFICIENT on trating personality disorder patients (DBT is perfect for borderline). patients can literally get into a remission point that they literally don't fit the diagnostic criteria anymore.

examples of what CBT/DBT can do for you:
you'll learn to recognize dysfunctional thoughts, automatic thoughts, cognitive dysfunctions, ex: "everything or nothing, when you assume two different categories for people and situations", or maybe "i'm worthless" "i'm useless" "there is no solution to my problem" etc

you'll learn emotional regulation methods and alternative answers to these cognitive dysfunctions, like "finding the middle point and identifying the disregarded possibilities"

you'll learn to recognize the categories of each dysfunctional thought, like "mind reading, when you assume what other people think without having any proof that this is true". you'll learn to question these dysfunctional thoughts. you'll learn to take actions about these thoughts.

you'll learn how to prevent these cognitive dysfunctions. kinda like "change your mindset" but not in a coaching way lol that would be terrible. kinda like in a "let's reprogram this rotten parts of the brain", if you know what i mean.

i know that having a diagnosis/possibility like this is difficult. (i, myself got a bipolar diagnosis and was in total denial for 2 years) but it is freeing, in a way, because you can know exactly where the problem is. you know it's not your fault, it's a disorder. a mental disorder. it can be treated just like diabetes or a broken leg. you know exactly the sphere your problem resides. the exactly type of therapy and meds and what needs to be done.

maybe you'll find out that many of the things that happened in your life, some mistakes that were made, interpersonal relationships, social interactions, etc, were just a mental health issue that can be treated and get you in remission.

with all the love in the world, i wish you'll get a rightful diagnosis and can get access to proper treatment with good professionals and be surrounded by loving people that can be an emotional support during your journey.

this is coming from a 21yo girl, who is bipolar type 2, autistic, extremely anxious, that tried CTB once at 11yo, twice at 15yo, that survived to tell the story of her mental health treatment that gone well.

take care!
You're very kind.

I've been going to CBT for the last 10 months and it's only made me worse.
I'm much older than you and have had plenty of time to completely ruin my life and any chance at a future. I'm running out of time.
Seems like for every year I've lived it's just been progressively worse, wearing me down. I have nothing to live for and very little will to live at all.
Personality disorders are just a method of oppression. They label anyone that they either don't like or don't understand with one, most often women. I firmly believe that they arouse because the understanding of traumatization has historically been practically non-existant and it's still pretty bad. Every, single "symptom" is a psychological defense mechanism that your psyche has developed for a reason. There is no such thing as a disordered personality.
When the shrink told me this after finally realizing that perhaps I wasn't just lying when I said CBT wasn't working, it just seemed like his way of saying "it's the patient who's the problem, not my method".

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: sancta-simplicitas