Subhuman

Subhuman

Student
Jun 28, 2019
Is metoclopramide chloride the same as metoclopramide? I posted this in the SN megathread but I realized not many people will see it there. I tried to research it on my own and got nowhere. Since I didn't get any replies yet I read everything I could on meto and I saw that several members here have used or are planning on using Primperan. I looked that up and it says Primperan is metoclopramide chloride. It's marketed under a different name in my country but do you guys think it will do the job?

Reactions: Donewith_ and Baskol1
ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
I think I saw someone ask the same Q on another thread and the answer was they are the same thing but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Reactions: Ermac and Subhuman
Subhuman

Subhuman

Student
Jun 28, 2019
I think I saw someone ask the same Q on another thread and the answer was they are the same thing but I'm not 100 percent sure.
I searched and searched but I didn't find a single thread where this was mentioned -_- I'll go look again, thanks <3

ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
I searched and searched but I didn't find a single thread where this was mentioned -_- I'll go look again, thanks <3
I can help you search...

• Love
Reactions: Subhuman
Subhuman

Subhuman

Student
Jun 28, 2019
I can help you search...
Oh no, please don't bother! You don't have to waste any of your time on me, I'll figure something out one way or the other. That's super sweet of you to offer though!

ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
No problem. I have no life. I think they are the same. When I search (DDG) for Primperan I mostly get results for metoclopramide, not metoclopramide chloride but if you look at details for metoclopramide it sounds like they use sodium chloride as a pH stabilizer...so it's not an active ingredient. Sodium chloride is the preferred stabilizer but some manufacturers use dextrose or hydrochloride.

Last edited:
  • Love
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Assuming you mean metoclopramide hydrochloride, yes. It's the oral version of the drug, and turning drugs into hydrochloride salts is common (even the norm) because doing so allows the drug to dissolve in water more easily.

• Love
Reactions: martin8383784, Rocksandsand and Subhuman
Subhuman

Subhuman

Student
Jun 28, 2019
No problem. I have no life. I think they are the same. When I search (DDG) for Primperan I mostly get results for metoclopramide, not metoclopramide chloride but if you look at details for metoclopramide it sounds like they use sodium chloride as a pH stabilizer...so it's not an active ingredient. Sodium chloride is the preferred stabilizer but some manufacturers use dextrose or hydrochloride.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much, you didn't have to <3

Assuming you mean metoclopramide hydrochloride, yes. It's the oral version of the drug, and turning drugs into hydrochloride salts is common (even the norm) because doing so allows the drug to dissolve in water more easily.
It says chloride on the website I'm looking at. The one that just says metoclopramide is more expensive. Not that the difference in price matters when it comes to my last purchase, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't reflective of a difference in composition/quality. Thanks so much for the explanation <3

H

how2toGetout

Aug 20, 2019
What does it mean by "turning drugs (in this case, metoclopramide is the drug in question) into hydrochloride salts"? Does it mean hydrochloride chemical is separating the metoclopramide in a water solution?? I don't know anything about chemistry.. can anyone enlighten me to understand the conceptual thing about HCl (hydrochloride) thing that keeps coming up after the prescription drug name? I've heard the part where people say HCl at the end of the drug name stands for the drug into an orally admitted drug (an oral version of the drug), but what's the reason that HCl makes a drug into an oral version of the drug?

B

Berlin76

Wizard
Aug 18, 2019
Is metoclopramide chloride the same as metoclopramide? I posted this in the SN megathread but I realized not many people will see it there. I tried to research it on my own and got nowhere. Since I didn't get any replies yet I read everything I could on meto and I saw that several members here have used or are planning on using Primperan. I looked that up and it says Primperan is metoclopramide chloride. It's marketed under a different name in my country but do you guys think it will do the job?

This is what they use on animals so its just the liquid form with meto for dogs and cats.

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
What does it mean by "turning drugs (in this case, metoclopramide is the drug in question) into hydrochloride salts"? Does it mean hydrochloride chemical is separating the metoclopramide in a water solution?? I don't know anything about chemistry.. can anyone enlighten me to understand the conceptual thing about HCl (hydrochloride) thing that keeps coming up after the prescription drug name? I've heard the part where people say HCl at the end of the drug name stands for the drug into an orally admitted drug (an oral version of the drug), but what's the reason that HCl makes a drug into an oral version of the drug?

Well... not having a chemistry background, I'm not sure how you expect to have this explained to you, but... water is a polar molecule, which means it dissolves salts (electrically neutral compounds composed of positively charged and negatively charged parts that can be separated from each other). If you want to make a molecule, like a drug, dissolve better in water, you can chemically modify it into a salt, so that in water, it dissolves into the actual drug and the anion or cation you modified it to have. The most common way this is done is by "adding" HCl (hydrogen chloride) to the drug molecule, so when it hits your system, it splits into the drug molecule you want, and HCl, which your body can mostly ignore and flush out. The benefit of doing so is a more rapid and even absorption into the blood stream, especially if the drug is taken orally. If you just swallow a glob of an insoluble compound, the absorption rate varies based on the surface area, which means that you basically digest and absorb it more quickly at first (when the surface area is greater) than you do as it gets digested and shrinks in size, so you don't have a constant rate of absorption or a constant concentration in the blood stream... and so you don't poop it out before you've absorbed it all. (And there are often similar considerations for IV drugs, too... it won't do you much good if you have a bunch of chunky drug gobs in an IV that you can't get through the needle, into the blood stream.)

That's basically it, though. Useful drug molecules are transformed into salts, so they dissolve in water so that your body can use them. A more detailed explanation would probably involve you doing your own research and learning ... there are a bunch of education-oriented online video channels you could check out if you want to learn these kind of chemistry concepts, but it's a bit much to go into depth on in this forum. Doesn't really matter for our purposes - that's the oral form of the drug, swallow it 30 minutes before you swallow the thing that kills you, so you don't puke everything up and survive.

Reactions: how2toGetout and Subhuman