Terios

Terios

Jul 30, 2024
There is an opinion I see alot is that people only get suicidal and kill themselves because of mental illness, meaning that a healthy person wouldn't want to kill themselves despite any external reasons that contribute to their pain.

This really makes me think whether I am mentally ill or not, the thing is that I definitely don't want to kill myself if I can help it but I feel like it's a last resort option I can take to end my pain. Does that really make me mentally ill?

I have also thought of the possibility that people who use that argument do so in order to try and absolve responsibility from people that might've directly contributed to hurting a person. I get it, no one wants to bear the guilt of the death of someone, but to make it a "them" problem to compeltely wash your hands is also a horrible thing to do in my opinion if you have a good idea at what drove them to end their lives, and is really disrespectful to them as well.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Wanting to die isn't a mental illness per se. However, a mental illness can be the reason why someone wants to die bc such a life can be unbearable. Then there is the question of what induced the mental illness? External circumstances? Physical health issues? There are a lot more things that can make one suicidal.

Reactions: Terios