P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
what's up with that ?

why does this happen to some people ?

I haven't dove into this topic or researched it much

but I would really like to hear some people's ideas, thoughts, opinions, and personal experiences regarding this

any random articles, videos, or research papers on this would be very appreciated

Reactions: Forever Sleep, takyon and sserafim
dazed_dreamer

dazed_dreamer

at the end of everything, hold on to anything
Sep 21, 2023
Maybe finding identity? I personally believe the intense atomization of a lot of society today (ie. you're on your own, your identity is entirely within yourself and up to you to establish, the unnecessary extent of competition in current capitalism, etc.) is a large reason why so many people are anxious and depressed today. Extreme religious and political beliefs and groups can serve as a distraction, identity, and community all wrapped up into one. It's definitely alluring, especially if you aren't aware of why it's alluring in this way. I think of it like a less-extreme cult.

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep, dragonofenvy, takyon and 2 others
T

takyon

im just a girl
Oct 9, 2023
i agree with dazed_dreamer, i think as people get worse mentally some may grasp for more meaning in their life. i know that some schizophrenics delusions often lead them to becoming religious because of how they believe they're talking to a higher power or they themself are a higher power. then they completely absorb themself in that lifestyle because its the only thing that makes what their experiencing make sense.

• Informative
Reactions: psp3000 and dazed_dreamer
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I've heard there's a link between overt religiosity and OCD. My mother was a fanatical Catholic whose personality was very repetitive, narrow and full of frequent outbursts of anger. But exactly what she should be diagnosed with is up for debate.

The other thing to consider is that hardline political positions legitimise hostility and violence, providing a narrative and convenient outgroup of people who are fair game for attack. Yet the true source of all the rage might be childhood neglect and the various forms of mental illness that tend to follow. It seems to be a form of psychological projection, and one that is rather contagious in society.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Most people have selective empathy. They group themselves and hate other groups. They don't really care what happens to others because they see them as "evil".

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?