figure8

figure8

The sun goes down
Jul 17, 2023
Imagine standing in a bee-line past due the hour of your appointment, white paint peeling off the walls, and a dozen other people like you waiting for their turn. Imagine a psychiatrist sitting in their office, writing prescriptions using nothing but the muscle memory in their hand, becoming a literal 'happy' pill machine. This experience is traumatic by itself.
I might be biased because of my experiences with it. To sit across a person who won't even pretend they care, and let them take 50 USD and 10 minutes of your life just for them to throw a random anti-depressant prescription at you... It's hard to think that the system hasn't wronged me somehow.

It's the same bullshit with abortion. You're pregnant? No, don't kill the baby, it has a soul (or whatever else they tell themselves to justify their actions). You gave birth? You're a monster for not being able to properly take care of the child, or for giving it up for adoption (and, surprise-surprise, you shouldn't have given birth to begin with, since you don't deserve to be called a parent! /s).
You're mentally ill? They're going to throw an entire list of numbers at you every time you look up something that makes it seem like you want to kill yourself. Fear not, if you end up calling the said numbers, it won't improve your situation in the slighest, not if you don't end up spending X amount of money on therapy that will take up years of your life, and even then it's not guaranteed that your life will become more bearable after that. And of course, you're a monster if you end up killing yourself as well, because they did everything in their power to stop you from doing so (lmfao), and you made other people sad. Also, suicidal thoughts and mental disorders are either taboo or literally cause you to get ostracized in some cases, so don't you dare speak up about them.

Not trying to disregard everyone involved with mental health institutions and suicide prevention hotlines, and it's quite admirable how much time of their life psychiatrists devote to educating themselves, but for god's sake.

Sorry for any errors. I reread this so many times, I don't have the energy to anymore. This post might make less sense than I intended it to. Just needed to scream into the void.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: rationaltake, Gloomislost, outatime_85 and 3 others
Emma123

Emma123

Someone
Jul 17, 2023
I agree with you, I feel like psychiatrists only care about money and don't take their job seriously. I had a psychiatrist for a year and she just made me so uncomfortable I remember I couldn't even look at her in the eyes because she was like "oh but life is great" or "just be happy" as if that was so easy. She even made me feel guilty for even having suicidal thoughts, I thought I was selfish and egotistical because I knew that if I did such things other people would've been sad, she basically forced me into this unhealthy mindset in which I was the bad guy instead of actually helping me. I'm not saying all of them are like this but some of them just really suck at their job, seriously.

• Hugs
Reactions: outatime_85 and GettingOut
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I've had more brush-ins with the physical health care side than the mental. The times I have been under mental health care I very much felt like it was me who was doing them a favour, it was like I was just there to give them something to do and get paid for even though they did nothing for me. On the physical side, I think that is broken too, I don't think it's the people working inside, I think they work very hard and have the best intentions, there is just a lot of external factors leaning on them to make decisions based on monetary profit. There is a lot of bureaucracy and box ticking that annoys me too, I think a lot of time is wasted by doctors filling out
unnecessary paperwork.

Also I just feel like generally across the whole of society people are just thought of as products, either somebody wants money from you for something or if you have no money they want to use you to make money.

Reactions: GettingOut