Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
ok yes, i will start with this should probably be in recovery but im asking suicidal people a question so why would i ask the people recovering. (ok that kind of trailed off from explaining to what im thinking but i hope you get it)

for everyone thats tried medication have you ever tried picking out the medication yourself? i personally do all of my own work, therapy, medications. anyone can prescribe you something or say this should help but the only one that really knows you is you so how can someone else possibly know whats best? if you can say it about suicide in general then why not more specific details?

this doesnt really include people where others are overbearing and dont listen to them, then it is out of their control and i understand that. also to clarify i dont prescribe my own medications but i pick out my own medications (med, dose) and talk it over with the psychiatrist then he prescribes it.

basically, have you actually tried being in complete control of your recovery?

Reactions: aeon
PursuitofWonder

PursuitofWonder

Student
Dec 12, 2020
I am applying to college to be a pharmacist so I have a lot of basic knowledge on medications. I usually have a medication in mind that I would like to try and attempt to bring it up nonchalantly. My doctor doesn't like it when I bluntly say I want to be on this or that. However if I ask about a certain condition and ask him what meds he suggests. I will pick out the one I want on the list he gives and then it's prescribed. So kind of a similar situation! I think it's been helpful to have a more involved choice in my treatment.

Reactions: sadworld and NodusTollens
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I am applying to college to be a pharmacist so I have a lot of basic knowledge on medications. I usually have a medication in mind that I would like to try and attempt to bring it up nonchalantly. My doctor doesn't like it when I bluntly say I want to be on this or that. However if I ask about a certain condition and ask him what meds he suggests. I will pick out the one I want on the list he gives and then it's prescribed. So kind of a similar situation! I think it's been helpful to have a more involved choice in my treatment.
did you explain why you want that? when i went to my doctor with my latest request i told him that i want this one because it doesnt have much in the way of side effects considering im sensitive. i then told him i want the 2.5mg dose for the same reason.

• Love
Reactions: sadworld
PursuitofWonder

PursuitofWonder

Student
Dec 12, 2020
did you explain why you want that? when i went to my doctor with my latest request i told him that i want this one because it doesnt have much in the way of side effects considering im sensitive. i then told him i want the 2.5mg dose for the same reason.
I usually will say why I would prefer that one, though I've never asked about dosages really.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I usually will say why I would prefer that one, though I've never asked about dosages really.
well i choose my dose because im sensitive so maybe the dose part is a bit more details then most need, but at least you work together a little bit on it :hug:

• Love
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
Personally I've never really tried a medication where I've felt that the benefits surely outweighed the side effects. To me it seems the vast majority of antidepressants and Neuroleptics blunt your emotions, cause sexual dysfunction and increase weight gain. To me all of that is really depressant. I thought a low dose selegine snorted was good for an upper but also caused insomnia. If I could turn back time to before I tried any psychiatric treatment, I would probably go for a microdose of mushroooms to relax and melatonin or zopiclone for sleep issues and other wise just rely on exercise, good diet and try to make good decisions in life.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wrennie and Life_and_Death
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I told my psychiatrist about anticholinergics because I had problems from Venlafaxine that was causing me to have hyperhydrosis and I thought it could I help me. But I didn't ask her to give me some specific antidepressants. If i have to change my meds someday I'll probably do that though. Because I already tried a few from every group and she even told me there's not many to choose from so I guess I might as well choose the next one myself

• Love
Reactions: Wrennie and Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I guess I might as well choose the next one myself
Just do your research, but I'm sure you will :hug::heart: I hope it helps you

• Hugs
Reactions: Nymph
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Just do your research, but I'm sure you will :hug::heart: I hope it helps you
Yep, I have to do my research all the time because from experience I found that I can't rely on the information doctors give me:( they aren't very reliable unfortunately

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Personally I've never really tried a medication where I've felt that the benefits surely outweighed the side effects. To me it seems the vast majority of antidepressants and Neuroleptics blunt your emotions, cause sexual dysfunction and increase weight gain. To me all of that is really depressant. I thought a low dose selegine snorted was good for an upper but also caused insomnia. If I could turn back time to before I tried any psychiatric treatment, I would probably go for a microdose of mushroooms to relax and melatonin or zopiclone for sleep issues and other wise just rely on exercise, good diet and try to make good decisions in life.
I take melatonin to help me sleep on the nights I can't :hug:
Yep, I have to do my research all the time because from experience I found that I can't rely on the information doctors give me:( they aren't very reliable unfortunately
If you'd like I can PM you some sites I use when I get home

• Love
Reactions: Nymph
aeon

aeon

XIII
Dec 6, 2020
Yes, for example I always refused to take antipsychotics or ADs like Mirtazapine, my shrink tried to convince me that it could help my treatment resistant depression but there is a line that I won't cross. I always explain the why and how I arrived at that decision with facts. Like you I pick out my medications, and they prescribe it

S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
Yes, for example I always refused to take antipsychotics or ADs like Mirtazapine, my shrink tried to convince me that it could help my treatment resistant depression but there is a line that I won't cross. I always explain the why and how I arrived at that decision with facts. Like you I pick out my medications, and they prescribe it

Mirtazapine made me super sedated and super depressed. Gave me nightmares as well. It was the 2nd antidepressant I tried. I honestly don't know how anyone get an antidepressant effect from that drug but we all respond differently. At least it usually doesn't have sexual side effects and it puts you to sleep, but it turned me into a incredibly sedated constipated depressed zombie.

• Hugs
Reactions: aeon
K

Kornyboyo

Student
Aug 7, 2019
"Med-poisons" will eventually turn on you and make what you are experiencing now a joke.

Reactions: ADruinedmylife and Wrennie
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
My parents have the ultimate say over which meds I'm prescribed unfortunately. I'm currently on one that makes me sweat excessively, shake, and feel sickly overall. I'm trying to get my psych to lower the dose but he seems resistant to doing it.

I've been on many different meds over the years, but the one that caused the least amount of unsavory side effects for me was Zoloft.

I am chemically castrated due to SSRIs though, so I just want to stress that it's a very real risk.

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
I'm on
lexapro 20mg
buspirone 5mg (one in morning one at night.
Hydroxyzine 25mg (every 6 hours)
Odansetron 5mg iirc it's anti nausea as needed.

my anxiety is still off the charts. My depression is pretty bad too but it's mainly caused by my anxiety.

Ive also tried fluoxetine but it just made me more depressed.

K

Kornyboyo

Student
Aug 7, 2019
I'm on
lexapro 20mg
buspirone 5mg (one in morning one at night.
Hydroxyzine 25mg (every 6 hours)
Odansetron 5mg iirc it's anti nausea as needed.

my anxiety is still off the charts. My depression is pretty bad too but it's mainly caused by my anxiety.

Ive also tried fluoxetine but it just made me more depressed.
Your anxiety is off the charts because those drugs cause anxiety...

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
Your anxiety is off the charts because those drugs cause anxiety...
Could be but my anxiety was even worse before I took them.

I'm not sure about the buspirone but I've been on the rest for two years and have had some good days and even weeks. I'll look into it but idk

K

Kornyboyo

Student
Aug 7, 2019
Could be but my anxiety was even worse before I took them.

I'm not sure about the buspirone but I've been on the rest for two years and have had some good days and even weeks. I'll look into it but idk
Go to benzobuddies.org and survivingantidepressants.org. Taper off them slowly now before it is too late.

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
Go to benzobuddies.org and survivingantidepressants.org. Taper off them slowly now before it is too late.
I'm not on any benzodiazepines and my anxiety will get to bad if I stop. I'm also on relatively tame drigs

K

Kornyboyo

Student
Aug 7, 2019
I'm not on any benzodiazepines and my anxiety will get to bad if I stop. I'm also on relatively tame drigs
No psych drug that messes with your brain chemistry is tame.

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I was on celexa for a long time. A couple of weeks ago, I said the heck with them and went cold turkey. I did not have any withdrawls or problems at all and I do not feel any better OR worse. I got tired of taking chemicals that my body had to process, liver/kidneys etc and I wonder if it did any good. Now I am a firm believer that everyones body chemistry is different, but for me I do not think that I will go back on any of the stuff. Love and peace to all my global family here.

E

Ethereal

Dec 8, 2019
ok yes, i will start with this should probably be in recovery but im asking suicidal people a question so why would i ask the people recovering. (ok that kind of trailed off from explaining to what im thinking but i hope you get it)

for everyone thats tried medication have you ever tried picking out the medication yourself? i personally do all of my own work, therapy, medications. anyone can prescribe you something or say this should help but the only one that really knows you is you so how can someone else possibly know whats best? if you can say it about suicide in general then why not more specific details?

this doesnt really include people where others are overbearing and dont listen to them, then it is out of their control and i understand that. also to clarify i dont prescribe my own medications but i pick out my own medications (med, dose) and talk it over with the psychiatrist then he prescribes it.

basically, have you actually tried being in complete control of your recovery?
Agree. One should know more about his or her situation than any doctor.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I'm currently on Naltrexone, Vistaril, Trileptal, Trazodone, Lithium, Ativan, Risperdal, Prazosin, Zofran and a pill for my stomach. They somewhat help. I still have my moments though where I want to die. My nurse practitioner mainly picks out my meds, but I do get some say in it.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
That is medical malpractice. Your doctor is using you are a lab rat. Sorry to say.

Every drug out there has a list of side effects and adverse reactions or withdrawal symptoms.
Malpractice? Not when it comes to mental health. This isn't always quite as easy as doing an x-ray and saying your arm is broken. Only you know how you feel. If your doctor's prescribing you whatever then yes, but if you're actually having a conversation with your doctor about it, no.

And yes every drug does, but some are worse then others and they effect everyone differently so again, yes some are tame.

Reactions: Ethereal
E

Ethereal

Dec 8, 2019
That is medical malpractice. Your doctor is using you are a lab rat. Sorry to say.

Every drug out there has a list of side effects and adverse reactions or withdrawal symptoms.
Perhaps I was misunderstood. It's about communication and dialogue. When a person has done enough research regarding his disorder, that "conversation" between him & the doc begins.

Last edited:
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
No, it's not malpractice
im confused were you agreeing with me? (i love questions where yes and no mean basically the same thing) (also i copied the one below my name to clarify)

E

Ethereal

Dec 8, 2019
im confused were you agreeing with me? (i love questions where yes and no mean basically the same thing) (also i copied the one below my name to clarify)

Yes, I was. Geez, I'm still a novice on these threads. hahaha.....showing my age, perhaps.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Yes, I was. Geez, I'm still a novice on these threads. hahaha.....showing my age, perhaps.
no its just the english language lol. its all sorts of messed up