serah

serah

Student
May 6, 2020
i have major depressive disorder, and bpd. i've tried therapy and it hasn't been very successful, and currently with my schedule it's hard to try to get back into it. ive been on and off setraline for a couple years, works for a few weeks then it doesn't do much after that. started with 50g then went up to 100g, and honestly i'm trying to look for a new medication. what do you guys take that's worked? i'm going to be talking to my psychiatrist and part of me wants to bring up my daily moodswings and just general emptiness/sadness and see if he can recommend something.

Reactions: apearl and squirley
roxx

roxx

Sep 17, 2023
i have major depressive disorder, and bpd. i've tried therapy and it hasn't been very successful, and currently with my schedule it's hard to try to get back into it. ive been on and off setraline for a couple years, works for a few weeks then it doesn't do much after that. started with 50g then went up to 100g, and honestly i'm trying to look for a new medication. what do you guys take that's worked? i'm going to be talking to my psychiatrist and part of me wants to bring up my daily moodswings and just general emptiness/sadness and see if he can recommend something.
I have bpd as well and tried a lot, even lithium. Sertraline never worked for me but Pristiq (desvenlafaxine succinate) worked for a time. Here is called Desve so ask for desvenlafaxine succinate monohidrated or something like that.

Reactions: serah and squirley
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
, and currently with my schedule it's hard to try to get back into it. ive
Does that mean you finally found a job?

No antidepressant has ever worked for me but other people's experiences aren't very relevant to other people's success with medication since everyone's different. But you might want to try a different class of medication besides SSRIs, like a MAOI or a TCA.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, serah and squirley
N

NambaSutra

Student
Mar 25, 2023
I recently switched from a different SSRI to prozac (fluoxetine) and an antipsychotic they seemed to help a little. Definitely not a cure but a few of my weirder symptoms seem to have improved a little.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, AllCatsAreGrey, serah and 1 other person
squirley

squirley

: )
May 6, 2023
Venlafaxine (Effexor)
Mirtazapine (Remeron)
Pregabalin (Lyrica)
quetiapine (Seroquel)

each had a good side. But also negative side effects.

Good luck

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, serah and roxx
serah

serah

Student
May 6, 2020
Does that mean you finally found a job?

No antidepressant has ever worked for me but other people's experiences aren't very relevant to other people's success with medication since everyone's different. But you might want to try a different class of medication besides SSRIs, like a MAOI or a TCA.
yes, it took a while but finally did. i'm thinking of just talking with my psychiatrist and seeing what he recommends, i haven't looked much into TCAs personally but ill read up on them.

Reactions: squirley
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
yes, it took a while but finally did. i'm thinking of just talking with my psychiatrist and seeing what he recommends, i haven't looked much into TCAs personally but ill read up on them.
Well I'm glad you found something. You were in a lot of despair about it at what point. You could also try lithium. That might be good for the mood swings but not necessarily for the general emptiness and sadness.

Reactions: serah and squirley
Moxim

Moxim

Aug 12, 2023
There does exist a particular class of antidepressant that is *very* effective. It is the real deal, and has brought many extremely depressed people back from the brink of despair after only a few weeks of taking as prescribed. The catch is that they are extremely hard to get prescribed, mainly because they have a contraindication with the chemical tyramine, which is found in cheese and other common supermarket foods. GP's are reluctant to prescribe it because it's potentially lethal if you eat the wrong food while taking it, and then they'll get into trouble.

Anyway, it's a class of drug called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIS). In Australia, the brand name of the drug is called Parnate.
Read these patient stories if you feel inclined, or sceptical. It really does seem to work miracles on people.

There are many more stories, but I'll just leave 3 for now not to overload anyone. It might be worth giving this topic its own post, but I'll leave it as just this reply for now.

Reactions: serah
H

hiddenbpd

āœŒšŸ¼
Oct 19, 2022
I have depression and BPD as well. Unfortunately the BPD has been persistent with most of my medication trials. But I took lamotrigine (mood stabilizer with antidepressant effects) for some time. They're doing some research on it and find some benefit with it and BPD. I'd start with that before lithium-less of a toxic profile.
Currently I'm taking Wellbutrin. It's been my favourite for depression.
I wish you luck. The battle for a medication that helps can be long, but hang in there.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
You should also look into methylfolate. If a deficiency in that isn't addressed then for biochemical reasons there's no point taking an antidepressant. It will be like trying to make a car go with no gas.

squirley

squirley

: )
May 6, 2023
Just thought of something I'm not sure where you live but there is clinical trials going on in Canada for psychedelics.
Microdoses
Shrooms
Kitty - I think it's been approved
Not sure about the 3-MMC

apearl

apearl

mitski fan
Sep 25, 2023
I haven't had any good experiences with medicine but I can tell you what you should avoid if you can. Cymbalta. I have been on a handful of different medicines that screwed me over in one way or another but Cymbalta was crazy. First off it kept me up for 3 days straight, but also I couldn't eat for days without throwing up. Taking it made me feel like I was eternally sick with food poisoning. I looked online after this happened to me and apparently Cymbalta is very common to have bad side effects. Please try something other then that.

C

CtlvrX

Sep 30, 2023
I had Sertraline and now have Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine. Sertraline + Venlafaxine had not worked (but I know people which were getting better through it). The Mirtazapine I take now for a short time making me feel better. So everyone is different, maybe it will take a while to find the medication which helps you. Had lyrica for a while, at the beginning it helped me a little but I needed several times to quit it, this was worse. Venlafaxine too, I can't get away from it because of the side effects of quitting.