Nelos

Nelos

Jan 5, 2020
Hello does anyone know any medicine to help suppress your emotions at all. I hate who I am and my extroverted hyper nature and want to be normal.

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
There are plenty of medications that have this effect, usually as a side effect since they work by blocking some neuroreceptors, but a fairly common effect nonetheless.

The drug classes that I'm most familiar with that have this 'emotion suppressive' effect are SSRIs and antipsichotic medications. They tent do turn you into an emotionless person at first, then you get used to it and your emotions slowly come back and you get used to it if the side effects and addictive potential didn't made you quit those drugs.

In my opinion, they are not worth it. being emotionless on the outside usually means that you are screaming on the inside, to me they felt like they didn't suppress my anxiety, only made me unable to express it. And in my case, the side effects were devastating, many people share this experience but some others are fine and get a lot out of these drugs.

Reactions: BitterlyAlive and Nelos
Nelos

Nelos

Jan 5, 2020
There are plenty of medications that have this effect, usually as a side effect since they work by blocking some neuroreceptors, but a fairly common effect nonetheless.

The drug classes that I'm most familiar with that have this 'emotion suppressive' effect are SSRIs and antipsichotic medications. They tent do turn you into an emotionless person at first, then you get used to it and your emotions slowly come back and you get used to it if the side effects and addictive potential didn't made you quit those drugs.

In my opinion, they are not worth it. being emotionless on the outside usually means that you are screaming on the inside, to me they felt like they didn't suppress my anxiety, only made me unable to express it. And in my case, the side effects were devastating, many people share this experience but some others are fine and get a lot out of these drugs.
That's what I have heard also, I know emotions will surface somehow regardless of supressing them. I probably come across as a bit spoiled just wish I was more normal. Have you ever taken ssris.

Reactions: Fragile
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
That's what I have heard also, I know emotions will surface somehow regardless of supressing them. I probably come across as a bit spoiled just wish I was more normal. Have you ever taken ssris.

You don't really come across as spoiled, I know that being very emotional can be really hard, specially since you hurt because of it, strong emotions go both ways and on some people being really high also means that you will get really low at some point.

Yes, I took them for years, but I'm in the unlucky % of people who suffer nothing but bad side effects from them.

Reactions: Nelos
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Would you mind sharing exactly which of your emotions you are trying to suppress? Is there something in particular like anger, sadness, etc

Are you just trying to be less hyper, as you mentioned? So, you have too much energy?

I have bipolar disorder and for me too much energy means that I might be in hypomania or mania so I have to take a heavy duty med, Zyprex, to help balance myself when I have too much energy.

For people with bipolar disorder, for example, psychiatrist believe it's a bad idea to give something like an antidepressant for instance because it can trigger mania, especially if one's not on a mood stabilizer.

if this is too personal or you'd rather not say I understand, then don't say anything. But understanding better what you're trying to accomplish, you'll get better suggestions.