N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Many big newspapers start to sue OpenAI because the company trained their AI with data from such newspapers. I think it is unknown whether this forum was used as data source too. But I would assume yes.

The biggest German newspaper group allegedly got roundabout 20 million. Not that much but better than nothing. If my threads were used because their insane level of creativity I want my fair share also. The US is the place where everything is possible. The justice system works differently. In the US some randoms get millions from companies if their coffee burned their tongue. This example is only fictional and I am not really educated on it (half knowledge). But I think I once read in the US individuals can get a very high compensation. In Germany often a group of people sues and they share the sum of compensation. More people profit from that then. I prefer the German system. But getting such a high compensation reminds me of winning the lottery. But it shows also unfair inequality in my opinion.

voidstar

voidstar

time heals nothing.
Jan 7, 2024
Just to shed some information on the infamous coffee lawsuit against McDonald's I think it was? The coffee this poor woman spilt on her legs was actually scalding hot, way too hot to drink or safely serve. She suffered various painful burns, not too sure about her recovery but it shouldn't be too hard to look up :)
But yeah, OpenAI can be a real plague and it's highly unethical to just use the intellectual property of others for their own gain without even so much as asking.

• Informative
Reactions: Lost in a Dream and noname223
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I think bringing out this website into the limelight, in a court of law no less, would be a risky move. We all benefit from this place keeping a low profile. This is why I have taken more of @Chinaski's side of the argument when it comes to activism and such. We might all wish for a world where we were more accepted, but then a website like this would arguably be unnecessary in such a world too.

Reactions: Forever Sleep, Sleeper System, Blurry_Buildings and 1 other person
O

Orange Cat

Student
Oct 19, 2023
Just to shed some information on the infamous coffee lawsuit against McDonald's I think it was? The coffee this poor woman spilt on her legs was actually scalding hot, way too hot to drink or safely serve. She suffered various painful burns.
I never understood why McDonalds was found to be at fault. She wasn't even on McDonald's property at the time. She put the cup of coffee between her legs and started speeding around town in her car. I feel sorry for her that she was hurt, but its her own fault for not putting the cup in the cup holder. I don't see how a business can be blamed if some of their customers lack common sense.

Reactions: Forever Sleep and voidstar
Krokodile

Krokodile

Nov 18, 2023
Copyright laws don't directly say anything about using data to train AI models, so it's probably going to be a throw of the dice what courts decide concerning this. AI models will have to study the world if AI is to ever understand it, including the large portion of the world that is commercially owned, I would be sad if laws stop this from happening. I don't see a moral difference between a human learning from public materials and a neural network doing the same.

A lot of models are going to do it regardless of what the laws say anyway, since not every corner of this planet respects court rulings in North America or Europe.

Reactions: aGoodDayToDie
voidstar

voidstar

time heals nothing.
Jan 7, 2024
I never understood why McDonalds was found to be at fault. She wasn't even on McDonald's property at the time. She put the cup of coffee between her legs and started speeding around town in her car. I feel sorry for her that she was hurt, but its her own fault for not putting the cup in the cup holder. I don't see how a business can be blamed if some of their customers lack common sense.
Well, I obviously didn't remember it correctly then. Been a while since I read it in passing but yeah, cups - especially coffee - should always go into a cupholder. Ouch.

A

aGoodDayToDie

Arcanist
Jun 30, 2023
Copyright laws don't directly say anything about using data to train AI models, so it's probably going to be a throw of the dice what courts decide concerning this. AI models will have to study the world if AI is to ever understand it, including the large portion of the world that is commercially owned, I would be sad if laws stop this from happening. I don't see a moral difference between a human learning from public materials and a neural network doing the same.

A lot of models are going to do it regardless of what the laws say anyway, since not every corner of this planet respects court rulings in North America or Europe.
Exactly. If the US bans it it'll be handing the AI market to China on a plate. China will have no qualms ripping data