StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
..for months now I have been experiencing intense gagging and some times vomiting after waking up.
What is this and how can I counter it?
My mother thinks its because of drinking and dehydration. Just wanted to get a second opinion that.
I drink between 4 and 6 beers in the afternoon and in the evening one and half bottles of red wine (my tongue is black and I have residues) and only about 1.5L of water a day.

Not drinking and smoking doesn't seem viable at this point in time.

What are your thoughts?
Cheers!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Fragile
DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
..for months now I have been experiencing intense gagging and some times vomiting after waking up.
My mother thinks its because of drinking and dehydration. Just wanted to get a second opinion that.
I drink between 4 and 6 beers in the afternoon and in the evening on and half bottles of red wine (my tongue is black and I have residues).

What are your thoughts?
Cheers!
Could be gastric reflux provoked by drinking. It's especially worse when you lay down, because the acid travels up your esophagus. Best course of action would be to stop drinking around 2.5-3 hours before going to bed.

Reactions: Skathon and StateOfMind
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Sounds like it could be a result of the booze yes.
I used to get gastric reflux. Like @DivineMedicus says it can result in esophageal reflux when you lie down, where the gastric acid runs up the supine food pipe. This can actually make you stop breathing briefly if it hits your larynx which goes into violent spasm. I've had that happen to me and its scary AF.
If you can't stop drinking, it may help lessen the acid with an antacid of even a prescribed PPI if you go to the docs with it. However, if you have GERD and your esophageal sphincter isn't working properly, that might not help.
Unfortunately, the solution may be to stop drinking, though I realise that may not be an option.

Reactions: Skathon, Disappointered, CC123 and 2 others
DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
Sounds like it could be a result of the booze yes.
I used to get gastric reflux. Like @DivineMedicus says it can result in esophageal reflux when you lie down, where the gastric acid runs up the supine food pipe. This can actually make you stop breathing briefly if it hits your larynx which goes into violent spasm. I've had that happen to me and its scary AF.
If you can't stop drinking, it may help lessen the acid with an antacid of even a prescribed PPI if you go to the docs with it. However, if you have GERD and your esophageal sphincter isn't working properly, that might not help.
Unfortunately, the solution may be to stop drinking, though I realise that may not be an option.
What (s)he said. However, you should try starting off with an H2RA antacid instead of jumping to a PPI. I find that PPIs tend to cause more problems in the long term.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
What (s)he said. However, you should try starting off with an H2RA antacid instead of jumping to a PPI. I find that PPIs tend to cause more problems in the long term.
Agreed. PPIs are not great and should only be taken (and can only be legitimately obtained) on prescription under guidance from the doc. He BTW :smiling:

• Hugs
Reactions: DivineMedicus
Brink

Brink

Exhausted. RadHomo.
Feb 11, 2020
I wonder whether you drink water quickly after waking up?

When I drink too much water too quickly after waking up, it makes me gag or chunder. x

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I drink between 4 and 6 beers in the afternoon and in the evening on and half bottles of red wine (my tongue is black and I have residues).

What are your thoughts?
Cheers!
I had the same thing happen to me after heavy binge sessions on pills and cannabis edibles, for months at a time.

What was happening to me wasn't a direct effect of those substances, it happened because the increased and severe morning anxiety that I had when the effects started to wane. These substances (specially the pills) have the effect of increasing the gaba neurotransmisor, so those receptors start to expect a constant influx of gaba, and when they don't have it, they start to malfunction and the anxiety begins. It's specially bad when it happens for months.

Alcohol has this effect in the long run, but unlike the pills that I was taking, it also has very bad poisoning effects on the body. I know because I was an alcoholic before I started abusing pills and other drugs, I made the switch specifically because they don't ruin my body.

My non-expert, non-medical and non-psychiatrist recommendation would be to first, cut it down a bit until you don't need that much alcohol, it's not pretty, but this is the only way to stop them before they become something worse.
And second, drink more water during the day, as stupid and simple as it sounds, water is one of THE main ways to fight alcoholism and its effects.

Reactions: Disappointered and StateOfMind
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
I wonder whether you drink water quickly after waking up?

When I drink too much water too quickly after waking up, it makes me gag or chunder. x
Not so much.
I take sip by sip at first to clean my mouth and sometimes swallow. No pun intended :pfff:

Reactions: Brink
Intotheflames

Intotheflames

a stranger in a strange land
Dec 23, 2020
Do you have lactose intolerance? If not maybe a glass of warm milk would help?

B

burntoutfrontliner

Aug 4, 2021
I drink between 4 and 6 beers in the afternoon and in the evening one and half bottles of red wine (my tongue is black and I have residues) and only about 1.5L of water a day.

What are your thoughts?
Cheers!
Many thinks, esophageal varicies, GERD, tightening of the sphincter at the top of the stomach, ulcers, etc. scope both ends to make sure lol.