Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021

The Nature of Reality

1. Mathematics and Natural Laws:
    • Why Mathematics?: Mathematics appears to be a universal language that describes the natural world. It's a tool we use to understand and predict phenomena. The reason why the universe adheres to mathematical laws is a profound mystery that intersects with both philosophy and science. Some theories suggest that mathematics is a fundamental part of reality, while others propose that it is a human construct that remarkably aligns with how the universe operates.

• Love
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, Praestat_Mori, AmberianDawn and 1 other person
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
This universe appears to obey principles that can be expressed using mathematics, so I look at mathematics as a tool/language for describing what the universe does.

I like the answer that it is both invented and discovered – what it does is discovered, but proving that it does so (within its own framework) is invented.

It's true all right-angled triangles on a level surface, so it's a discovery. Showing it is true, however, requires the invention of a proof. And over the centuries, mathematicians have devised hundreds of different techniques capable of proving the theorem. In short, maths is both invented and discovered.

Reactions: enduringwinter, Praestat_Mori, Jarni and 1 other person
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
If I had to choose between the AI chatGPT or the AI DarkRange55 I would always choose the latter one.

I assume OP used chatGPT for creating this thread because it looks similar. Hence this comment.

• Love
Reactions: DarkRange55 and Praestat_Mori
CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
This universe appears to obey principles that can be expressed using mathematics, so I look at mathematics as a tool/language for describing what the universe does.

I like the answer that it is both invented and discovered – what it does is discovered, but proving that it does so (within its own framework) is invented.

It's true all right-angled triangles on a level surface, so it's a discovery. Showing it is true, however, requires the invention of a proof. And over the centuries, mathematicians have devised hundreds of different techniques capable of proving the theorem. In short, maths is both invented and discovered.
Math also make fic unvrs no real phsc etc

QueerMelancholy

QueerMelancholy

Mage
Jul 29, 2023
What I enjoy about math is that it doesn't need to be beautiful. I feel like humans drive themselves mad searching and pining for beauty in the natural world or the universe. Math doesn't need to plea or bend to emotions, or all of those fluffy touchy-feely considerations that we need to use to tackle subjective questions. Numbers and mathematical structures as arithmetical objects can exist independently of the thoughts, languages, and practices of human subjects.

There are unknown mathematical truths that people are still searching for. They're there to be discovered and as new mathematical truths are discovered math is "invented" to prove it.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
What I enjoy about math is that it doesn't need to be beautiful. I feel like humans drive themselves mad searching and pining for beauty in the natural world or the universe. Math doesn't need to plea or bend to emotions, or all of those fluffy touchy-feely considerations that we need to use to tackle subjective questions. Numbers and mathematical structures as arithmetical objects can exist independently of the thoughts, languages, and practices of human subjects.

There are unknown mathematical truths that people are still searching for. They're there to be discovered and as new mathematical truths are discovered math is "invented" to prove it.

One of the main reasons I'm captivated by math is the beauty. I was wonderstruck by the elegance and power of differential geometry.

I think that within our universe math and science do count as objective truths (but my knowledge of the nature of our universe is subjective).
My guess would be that in any universe consistent enough to bring forth human level consciousness there would be science and mathematics that would be objective truths.

If you have some other kind of non-human intelligence on a planet where there aren't discrete objects, say an intelligence that evolved as some kind of creature on a gas planet where they can't necessarily say here are five rocks, you would have some kind of intelligence that would be totally beyond our way to view the universe rather than our mathematics -
Unless the intelligence is just a single entity, members of the intelligent "species" are likely to be countable by other members of that species.

Mathematics is a language so if you have to visualize ordering a quantity of milk on a shelf then transferring that into math, there is no difference between that and translating a poem into Portuguese? There is a big difference. I can translate a quantity of milk into mathematics, but I can't translate a poem into Portuguese! (And there are more ways to translate a poem that there are a simple quantity of milk).

The last part is the same thing I said in the first comment 👍
Math also make fic unvrs no real phsc etc
Do you mean - Physics is more important than math (in a way)? Also that math is the language of physics (and science)? Physics is concerned with the universe and what its is doing. Math is concerned with its own self importance (*pure* vs applied math anyway). People that go into math are just generally people that like puzzles and stuff. Physics wants know the big questions and the philosophy of things and whats going on rather than just playing with some numbers. As I've said before.
Mathematical physics is interdisciplinary.
Math is a way of modeling

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: QueerMelancholy