ineverlived

ineverlived

May 31, 2022
I have 7 months ahead of me and I will take the university exam in my country. If I can't do math, I have to die. It sounds silly but it's a long story and I'll be left with no other choice if i fail. my math is bad rn so how can i improve? I'm thinking of using drugs like ritalin concerta, can you give any other advice on math?

• Hugs
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, Cathy Ames, Alayna and 2 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I wish I could but I myself was never good at math. You could try and find books that break the subject up to make it easier and/or software. Good luck!

Reactions: jodes2
bluem00n

bluem00n

Fatally killed to death
Sep 10, 2022
Maybe you could check out math tutorials on YouTube ... there are plenty to choose from.

Reactions: leeloosnow, freedomcalls, looseye and 3 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
For the most part, I found math was just about practice. Repetition. As long as you sort of grasp it. It's hard if you can't get your head round something at all though, in which case asking help from you tutor and other students is the way to go. I don't really believe medication can help, sorry. Good luck! ❤️

Reactions: Grav, looseye, artificial_ineptness and 2 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I used to always watch the channel Numberphile just for fun. The professors have such a child-like passion, and one tends to learn things in the process. If you need knowledge on a specific topic, a more general search would be helpful.

• Love
Reactions: artificial_ineptness and Cathy Ames
Alayna

Alayna

Close
Oct 11, 2022
Hi,

I'm really sorry math is getting you. It's often a barrier for very capable scientists (if this is even your goal?). Famously, both Newton and Einstein struggled with the subject, so not getting it says nothing about your intelligence or abilities.

The no.1 trap I know in maths education is doing too much reading and not enough writing. Fallen afoul of it a lot myself. You obviously need enough theory to approach the topic, but focusing on understanding everything theoretically can be much harder than experimenting and working out how the method works in practice. That often leads you back to theory, with a better perspective and knowledge of the mechanics of it all.

Good luck, I hope things go a bit better. The advice above is all good too.

Reactions: cyanol, looseye, artificial_ineptness and 2 others
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
Which kind of math is it?

Reactions: Install-Gentoo, Un- and artificial_ineptness
T

Tiny Little Tree

-
Jan 25, 2021
Being able to do math in an exam is kind of its own skill. I don't think there's much more to it than knowing the right tool for the job, knowing how to use it, where you might go wrong, how to fix it if you do, and doing everything fast enough. You can definitely get good at it without really understanding the underlying concepts (I knew people with top grades who were completely unable to explain a concept 1-2 years after that exam). The only way you can really develop this is practice.

I would still encourage you to understand what you're doing, I get that might not always be practical if you don't have a lot of time but IMO it'll be better for you in the long run. I think university has more emphasis on understanding rather than just doing and builds on past knowledge much more, how big a jump this is might depend on where you are.

If you can be more specific on what concepts you need to know and what parts you struggle with in particular maybe we can help you better.

Famously, both Newton and Einstein struggled with the subject
If you're referring to "Einstein failed math at school" that's a myth. Here's an article that apparently has Einstein's own response. Here's something with his grades. If you mean he needed some help with higher order tensors then sure...

First time hearing that about Newton, at least in those words... Maybe harder to say either way since it won't be as well documented...

Reactions: aleph_zero, artificial_ineptness and Alayna
Alayna

Alayna

Close
Oct 11, 2022
If you're referring to "Einstein failed math at school" that's a myth. Here's an article that apparently has Einstein's own response. Here's something with his grades. If you mean he needed some help with higher order tensors then sure...

First time hearing that about Newton, at least in those words... Maybe harder to say either way since it won't be as well documented...
Cool to see the certificate! I did mean relatively speaking, he presumably wouldn't have gotten into physics at Zurich otherwise, but may have exaggerated the point for the sake of encouragement:meh:

My source for the Newton idea is primarily my supervisor. His point was that Leibniz's approach to calculus was much more regimented, precise and "mathematical" in modern, conventional terms, while Newton cut corners and smoothed errors in a way that were intuitive and convenient to the systems he was developing.

Wikipedia:
Newton emphasized the empirical nature of the work [Principia] with the expression Hypotheses non fingo ("I frame/feign no hypotheses").

Again these things are very relative, but the Principia is not widely studied in the field of pure mathematics afaik.

With regard to the post at hand though, I think we might be missing the point a bit ... :hug: It's perfectly plausible to be a better natural scientist than mathematician.
Agreed that more info from OP would be helpful for suggesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: aleph_zero and Tiny Little Tree
T

Tiny Little Tree

-
Jan 25, 2021
With regard to the post at hand though, I think we might be missing the point a bit ...
Sorry, I didn't mean to (only) stray from your point. Wanted to add my own take but kind of just forgot... I guess part of the reason was I couldn't settle on how specific I wanted to be... Anyway, I've definitely known plenty of people personally who either couldn't get into university initially (had to do an extra programme), failed core papers (including first-year and math), or had to spend extra years on their degree (people at all degree levels) and went on to have rewarding (financially and otherwise) careers, including in academia.

• Love
Reactions: Alayna
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I have 7 months ahead of me and I will take the university exam in my country. If I can't do math, I have to die. It sounds silly but it's a long story and I'll be left with no other choice if i fail. my math is bad rn so how can i improve? I'm thinking of using drugs like ritalin concerta, can you give any other advice on math?
To be honest I can relate to that very much. It is similar in my case but there are some differences. I will also have a very difficult math related exam. I am already studying for it like an idiot. My grades so far are quite good. But I have issues with math. So far I had no math exam. I have very much OCD concerning studying and very good grades.

I am always extremely anxious prior to exams. In the past I even had two psychosis because of it but it is a complicated story because my bipolar disorder was invloved.

On a rational level I think it is rather unlikely that I will fail. However practically I am very scared to get a new breakdown because I don't fully understand the lectures. I am very inseucure and I was insanely anxious after the last exams to have failed. In most of them I had very good results and the sorrows were unfounded. I am quite sure this course will give me by far the worst grade so far. I am very anxious about the anxiety level. I am not sure whether I will be able to cope with it. I will probably take some benzos. However only in a low dosage and always only with the support of my psychiatrist. Benzos are highly addictive and very dangerous.

• Hugs
Reactions: Alayna
ineverlived

ineverlived

May 31, 2022
Which kind of math is it?
functions derivative integral etc. i will also need geometry. it's really hard and tbh i dont think i can make it... i wil still try tho

Reactions: Cathy Ames
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I became a programmer basically loathing math. There's life outside of math IF someone else is doing it and you just use the tools they craft with it.

T

Tiny Little Tree

-
Jan 25, 2021
functions derivative integral etc. i will also need geometry. it's really hard and tbh i dont think i can make it... i wil still try tho
That seems fine. I'm sure no one here or anywhere wants to see you in a situation where you feel you have no other choice. If you're otherwise not getting help with this I'm happy to help you to the extent I can, like if there are concepts that need to be broken down so you understand them or problems you need to be walked through. You can post here or PM or chat me. But ultimately I think someone who has a better idea of what exactly you need to know and who can work closer with you will probably be better.
However practically I am very scared to get a new breakdown because I don't fully understand the lectures.
Not entirely sure what level this is at but I might be able to help as well. Even if you just need someone to chat with about the theory, sometimes that can help, sometimes that's all you need to "get" it (though, doing it in an exam remains kind of a separate problem).

Reactions: Cathy Ames and artificial_ineptness
artificial_ineptness

artificial_ineptness

Nov 14, 2021
functions derivative integral etc. i will also need geometry.
I feel like this has to be common knowledge by now, but fyi there exist online solvers for a bunch of problems that can be handy to check your work or sometimes can help better understand what's going on. Ones I've used that come to mind are this derivative calc, this integral calc, and Wolfram Alpha for general things, although it can be somewhat of a pain in the ass to properly input the problem / it might take some getting used to. There are definitely others as well and don't take them as gospel.

A

aleph_zero

Sep 6, 2022
Check out this MIT course. Most MIT courses I've taken so far were very practically oriented and they're helpful for developing intuition. You can always supplement with a proof-based textbook to cover the theoretical side as well.

ineverlived

ineverlived

May 31, 2022
nevermind i dont wanna deal with this world for years. i will get my sn soon

• Aww..
Reactions: Install-Gentoo and Tiny Little Tree
T

Tiny Little Tree

-
Jan 25, 2021
That will always be your decision to make. All I can tell you is make sure whatever you do is right for you.

I'm not sure I can help you with anything else but I'm pretty sure I can with this topic.

Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
@ineverlived , I don't think you should use "math" as a thing to represent the entire world. You can get past the challenging type of math and go on to live the rest of your life with occasional algebra usage, if that. I would suggest getting some in person tutoring and help with test preparation as the easiest way through. Would that be possible?

Reactions: BipolarExpress and Un-